If your child is awarded a D1/D2 scholly in a Fall Sport and wants to...............

frankdracman23

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..........play their Senior year a Winter Sport or Spring Sport that they have not played in high school what would your advice be?

So the child gets a D1/D2 full ride offer in Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Golf, Cross Country in their Senior year but then decides they want to play basketball, softball/baseball, run track, play tennis because they are a good athlete and can help the school team out......would you....

Be all for it?

Be against it because of the injury worry?

Discuss the Pros and Cons with the student and make a joint decision?

I know this isn't the question at hand, but outside of D-1 Football and Basketball there are not may full rides. Lots of partials.

My daughter was an awesome volleyball player. She played year round between school and on a top club team, traveled around the country, and had several colleges interested in her. Unfortunately, she burned out. A sports scholarship is a full time job for a college student and she didn't want that.

I know that letting your child play another sport risks injury, but maybe he/she just wants to have fun and enjoy playing a sport. Might be a really good thing for them.

BTW, I mourned the loss of a possible scholarship, and not watching her play more than she did. She had a wonderful college experience and would not trade it for anything.

I sure would ask my new college coach what they thought of this move. The "already signed a letter of intent" strategy? Let's consider the next four-five years and the $50K-$250K investment that both sides are making. As an aside, YOLO is not a life strategy. It's a dumb strategy.

Edited by MentschTrachtGottLacht
WFV

I sure would ask my new college coach what they thought of this move. The "already signed a letter of intent" strategy? Let's consider the next four-five years and the $50K-$250K investment that both sides are making. As an aside, YOLO is not a life strategy. It's a dumb strategy.

WRONG!

Although I'm in the let 'em play camp, probably worth reminding people that even full rides are one-year renewable scholarships. The only guarantee you get is they are picking up the tab for freshman year.

True but you can’t just cut kids off without good reason. The deal kinda polices itself.

True but you can’t just cut kids off without good reason. The deal kinda polices itself.

John, that isn't true at all. Kids get "not renewed" every year, and it isn't hard to come up with a reason. Certainly happens mostly in college hoops, but non-renewals is really common, it just usually comes veiled as "Joe decided to transfer".