Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Increase in concussions?

Featured Replies

I fell like there have been more concussions these past two years than years past. Is this because they (coaches/trainers/doctors) are being more cautious with any kind of head injury, or is it because of the increased physicality of HS football in NKY? Are you seeing more concussions on your team this year or no?

IDK the answer for this but I did see the NFL are testing "new" helmets that is suppose to help with this!

There could be an increase. The number of bigger, stronger, faster athletes have gone up over the years. Food, training year round....whatever. The big difference I see is the awareness of cuncused players. Before players would continue to play while they saw stars and everything was spinning. I was one of them. Now trainers and coaches are pulling kids out with any symptoms. And we are noticing it more because of the TIME kids are out going through protocal. As opposed to being in the next play or next week.

  • Author
There could be an increase. The number of bigger, stronger, faster athletes have gone up over the years. Food, training year round....whatever. The big difference I see is the awareness of cuncused players. Before players would continue to play while they saw stars and everything was spinning. I was one of them. Now trainers and coaches are pulling kids out with any symptoms. And we are noticing it more because of the TIME kids are out going through protocal. As opposed to being in the next play or next week.

 

Good points. I think that may partially be due to the education these kids receive regarding head injuries. I can recall three separate times I blacked out in a game and didn't come out for more than a few plays. (One is caught on video where I get up and take two steps and almost fall over....on my way to the wrong huddle!)

There was a thread on this device in the past: http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/q-collar-preliminary-326758.html

 

Luke Kuechley has started to wear the collar:

 

Could experimental device protect Luke Kuechly from concussions? | Charlotte Observer

 

Here is the gist of the research:

 

"In the study, a group of St. Xavier (Cincinnati) varsity football players wore the collars through the season. An opposing high school team (Moeller) participated as the control group in the study, and did not wear the collar. Forty-two total participants were evaluated.

 

The research team found that though both groups of players sustained almost identical numbers of impacts, there were significant changes in the brain structure and function of the players who did not wear the collar.

 

In the brains of the St. Xavier players, there were not."

 

I don't know if this is the golden ticket to prevent concussions but it seems promising. Wish they would fast track the approval process and get it out to the public ASAP.

  • Author

Yeah, I did notice that when we played St. X (Cin) at home, they had collars around their necks. I had initially thought that they were GPS devices (similar to those worn by some professional soccer players to measure exertion as well as distance). Pretty neat stuff!

A Franklin-Simpson player stayed on the turf for at least twenty minutes without moving last week. He was transported to the Medical Center via ambulance.

Diagnosed as a sprained neck. He was told by the trainer and EMTs to not move.

 

He played this past week.

 

Extreme caution is standard procedure now.

 

Why do players no longer wear neck rolls?

There has been a major increase in concussion awareness, that didn't exist in the past, leading to the increase of recorded concussions (or concussion precautionary steps).

 

In the past a concussion would not be suspected unless the player physically showed symptoms, whereas today, the trainers are being pro-active and testing for signs of concussions whenever players are involved in concussion-possible incidents.

There was a thread on this device in the past: http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/q-collar-preliminary-326758.html

 

Luke Kuechley has started to wear the collar:

 

Could experimental device protect Luke Kuechly from concussions? | Charlotte Observer

 

Here is the gist of the research:

 

"In the study, a group of St. Xavier (Cincinnati) varsity football players wore the collars through the season. An opposing high school team (Moeller) participated as the control group in the study, and did not wear the collar. Forty-two total participants were evaluated.

 

The research team found that though both groups of players sustained almost identical numbers of impacts, there were significant changes in the brain structure and function of the players who did not wear the collar.

 

In the brains of the St. Xavier players, there were not."

 

I don't know if this is the golden ticket to prevent concussions but it seems promising. Wish they would fast track the approval process and get it out to the public ASAP.

 

I never went on the field without the collar. Worked for Jack Lambert.

Why do players no longer wear neck rolls?

 

I was talking to someone about neck rolls the other night. Everyone had them back in the 80's. The bigger the better we thought. Anyone have any insight into why they don't use them anymore?

Why do players no longer wear neck rolls?

 

I was talking to someone about neck rolls the other night. Everyone had them back in the 80's. The bigger the better we thought. Anyone have any insight into why they don't use them anymore?

 

Neck rolls were purely fashion. I'm pretty sure studies were done that showed they provided little to no benefit.

I always thought neck rolls were more about stinger prevention. I don't think they helped any with concussions.

concussion protocol has changed completely the process for determining concussions. If you "get your bell rung" it is a concussion.

There has been a major increase in concussion awareness, that didn't exist in the past, leading to the increase of recorded concussions (or concussion precautionary steps).

 

In the past a concussion would not be suspected unless the player physically showed symptoms, whereas today, the trainers are being pro-active and testing for signs of concussions whenever players are involved in concussion-possible incidents.

 

Yes, and coaches are more aware of concussion symptoms. Every time a kid says he has a head ache or feels dizzy they are sent to the trainer.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.