All "A" State Tournament losing its home.......

The area is a dinosaur. Loved to watch games there, but not surprised they are getting rid of the arena and same with the buildings attached including the hotel.

I agree. The arena itself is okay once you're inside but the area around it, the buildings and that big concrete fountain section with the broken up concrete, is as bleak in appearance as pics of Pyongyang. Everything is grey and old.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just have it at Marion County High. It's the geographic center of the state. Then there wouldn't be any banter over who has to travel the most and we can find something else to complain about.

Removing it without any concrete plans to replace it with another convention center, and losing yearly guaranteed money for the city of Frankfort, no matter the cost of restoring it, seems rather shortsighted and haphazard.

Sure, they "might" eventually build another similar facility, but as of now it seems to be left up to chance. I get the dilemma of either pouring big money into restorations, or building a whole new and different project in its place, but the entire plan should also be including another convention center for certain.

My gut feeling is that the present one is a unique facility and a fan friendly place to watch basketball, and it's disturbing to think that it will get the wrecking ball, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes many folks of Frankfort sick to their stomachs to watch it go.

Civic center lost around 3 million a year on average per year.

Was this an expected decision or sudden? Was the All A planned to be at Frankfort next season?

Yes and no. They just put about 700K into it a few years ago to update the inside and make it ADA compliant. However it lost money every year and wasnt profitable or close to break even. There has been "talk" for the last decade that it could potentially be torn down with the tower and area, just looks like now they want to pull the trigger.

I agree. The arena itself is okay once you're inside but the area around it, the buildings and that big concrete fountain section with the broken up concrete, is as bleak in appearance as pics of Pyongyang. Everything is grey and old.

I agree with you that the outside appearance is pretty ugly.

You may be correct, but where did you get these figures, and why did it lose money?

From the director, we have use the Civic center for an event every year for going on 10 years now. I am also good friends with the head of facilities there.

The Civic Center and most of Frankfort is outdated.

It is. There was talk of building a new arena in the same spot about 5 years ago (before they did the upgrades.) It was dependent upon K-State playing all their games there and a few other things. K-State is in horrible state of affairs right now and keeps getting worse.

Fixed it for you.

BTW, we love traveling to WKU every year for the last 25 or so years to attend either the girls state basketball tournament or the football state championships. Signed all of NKY.

I don't like traveling that far if a viable alternative is available.

I think it would be very cool there, but it would hard to tell Mason County they will lose games and practice for a tournament they aren't even in.

We got plenty of gyms to practice in and it would only effect one game two at most. We can play in the Maysville gym if needed.

Hey, do you guys need my assistance with this one? Or do you guys got this? I'm more than willing to chime in and tell you what we can do with the All A!

Create an all AAAAA so you can have a trophy too, lol.

Bada Bing......:lol2: