2017 Bengal Draft Grades

I saw a quote from Elliott (Bengals pick, Memphis kicker) saying he has kicked 70 yarders in practice. His long made field goal in each of his years was 56, 54, 53 and two 50 yarders last year. He was 10-12 on 40 yarders last year. Every ranking I saw had Elliott ranked second. How do you evaluate a kicker? Here is a good article on that from SI, pointing out it is almost impossible.

NFL draft 2

I saw a quote from Elliott (Bengals pick, Memphis kicker) saying he has kicked 70 yarders in practice. His long made field goal in each of his years was 56, 54, 53 and two 50 yarders last year. He was 10-12 on 40 yarders last year. Every ranking I saw had Elliott ranked second. How do you evaluate a kicker? Here is a good article on that from SI, pointing out it is almost impossible.

NFL draft 217: Why scouting kickers is so challenging | SI.com

We will know if Elliott was a good pick if he makes the team and has a good year. Until then, no way to know how he will handle being an NFL kicker. The same goes for the #1 ranked kicker from ASU. Look how the kicker picked in the second round last year by the Bucs did, and he was supposed to be incredible.

Good point.

I think many draft "graders" tend to look at who you didn't get vs who you did get. Frankly, I don't understand why they took Ross first, but after that, I thought they had a terrific draft. I'd give them an A. I think Lawson was a steal. Could this class be a bust? Sure, just like every other team's class. Could Mixon be a repeat offender? Sure, but highly unlikely. Again, I thought they were great.

Lot of risk in their draft (specifically with Ross and Mixon), but from a talent stand-point, I think they had a heck of a draft. Only real issue was not really addressing the OL issues, but this was a very weak draft on that front.

I'd give them an B+. If Ross and Mixon prove healthy and can stay in line, it'll probably be an A.

Lot of risk in their draft (specifically with Ross and Mixon), but from a talent stand-point, I think they had a heck of a draft. Only real issue was not really addressing the OL issues, but this was a very weak draft on that front.

I'd give them an B+. If Ross and Mixon prove healthy and can stay in line, it'll probably be an A.

Agree on the OL point. But if Lawson and Willis can reach their potential, that defense is solid on the edge for several seasons.

I wonder if the Bengals will be watching the waiver wire for OL.

We can only hope...otherwise i foresee A LOT of 3 step drops by Dalton before he gets pummeled. Any thoughts on number of sacks allowed this season vs last?

The organization is placing some pretty unrealistic expectations on the current OL they have in place. Cut a couple checks Brown-Blackburn clan otherwise it may be a very long season!

Again, I'm looking forward to allocating more time doing other things rather than watching the Bengals this fall! In the meantime though, I'll throw a few cents in the mix...

Draft grades are the dumbest things going unless you grade the draft 5 years after it happened. I'd much rather read something about the 2011 draft and how that grades out for each team now. How did the Bengals do vs the Steelers, Ravens, Browns? Who were the 2011 first round busts? Who were the 2011 steals in the draft? What teams got a great grade in 2011 and now got a terrible grade? Who were the teams that graded out at D that now get As or Bs?