Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cheering/chanting

Featured Replies

Does cheering/chanting help girls stay involved or focused on the game? Or does the actual process of saying a cheer distract from players picking up on gamesmanship? Many good programs cheer and many don't. What do you recommend when coaching youth?

I'd limit it , if not ban it altogether , if I ran a team.

I don't think there is a blanket rule to be applied.

 

There are plenty of times where I thought "good god! someone please shut them up!"

And times where I'm glad they are loud because it drowns out the obnoxious spectators.

 

Times where the cheers are forced, and don't sound like they mean it.

Other times I could applaud the girls for continuing (enthusiastically) even though they are about to get 4th inning run ruled.

 

I'd say it is a function of the kids on field and on the bench, the coach(es), program, importance of game, day of the week, etc etc...

 

The team collective mental state and attitude changes day to day.

 

So if it's working for the kids, let'em yell... (and maybe supply earplugs for the fans)

I got the point where if I heard "just a little triple...." one more time I was going to grab a fork and stab my eye.

Mr. Cat comes home chanting the ones that get stuck in his head. It's even worse hearing them from a grown man.

I don't have a daughter, but a couple of years ago my son played baseball against a team who "cheered" non-stop, almost to the point of ridiculousness. Our next game, one of our boys started one of those cheers, and the coach came over and stopped it, saying "We're baseball players, not cheerleaders." I don't think he was trying to denigrate cheerleaders, as much as he was trying to explain what they should be focusing on (the game vs. the cheers). I thought it was a valid point.

I'm glad CovCath doesn't have a softball team!

Let them have fun !!!! I coached girls softball for 8 years and believe you me I have heard plenty of cheering , but would rather have them up on the fence cheering than hanging out the back of the dugout talking to a bunch of boys or running to the concession stand ... adults like to suck the fun out things because it gets on their nerves but we hear on the basketball posts on here about how they like enthusiastic student sections because it helps the basketball teams on the court !!! No difference my friends ... as long as it is classy let them do it .. for those that don't like it put your ear buds on and listen to your favorite music and let the kids be kids ... don't be a fun sucker

I'm not a fan, but I let my girls do the cheers/chants. However, they are not allowed to do any cheers/chants that are directed at the other team/pitcher.

I always wondered who made those ridiculous things up.

I'm not a fan, but I let my girls do the cheers/chants. However, they are not allowed to do any cheers/chants that are directed at the other team/pitcher.

 

I don't mind the cheers at all. I'm all for cheering your teammates. But I hate when the cheers are directed at opposing players. I haven't seen it much in high school ball; but it was very common in travel ball.

I'm not a fan, but I let my girls do the cheers/chants. However, they are not allowed to do any cheers/chants that are directed at the other team/pitcher.

 

I don't mind the cheers at all. I'm all for cheering your teammates. But I hate when the cheers are directed at opposing players. I haven't seen it much in high school ball; but it was very common in travel ball.

 

This behavior can violate the pre-game sportsmanship warning...It will always be addressed on my games....and ended

Mr. Cat comes home chanting the ones that get stuck in his head. It's even worse hearing them from a grown man.

 

As long as he's not Snapchatting them to other umpires, all good....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.