9th Region Preseason Rankings

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any updates/comments on HHS scrimmage against Conner? I know it's just a scrimmage, but did anything stand out other than what was expected?

This is what I found out...

Score was Conner 5, Highlands 3.

Highlands pitched Doty, Dee, Dreeves and Rom. Doty looked best and was the only one not to give up a run. Doty and Dreeves pitched 2 innings. Dee and Rom pitched 1.

Conner pitched 6 players…Senior Nick Craddock (first 2 inn) and the rest were thought to be juniors (1 inn ea.). Craddock gave up 3 runs, 1 ER. Conner’s last pitcher walked the bases loaded in the Top of the 7th, then the game got called because of darkness…there were 2 outs???

Both teams were rusty at the plate with Highlands having only 2-3 hits and Conner 4-5 hits.

Highlands scored 2 of their runs on a ground ball error with 2 outs. Conner scored 3 of their runs on passed balls / wild pitches.

• 1 month later...

Now that the teams start their home stretch.... I made a shuffle. I didn't have Conner doing as good as they are. I knew Highlands would start slow and begin peaking near the end.

1. Conner (do not want them in the first round of the region. after that, beatable)

2. Highlands (Pitchers may need to pitch no hitters or 1-2 hitters, but very doable. Beatable after 2nd round in regional)

3. Beechwood (Well balanced. Very scrappy team) I'm a homer.

4. Cov Cath (Their pieces are starting to fit. They will be dangerous)

5. Cooper (Cooper desperately needs a turning point in the season. If they start to gel they will be fine.

Whichever team, Cov Cath or Beechwood, that can avoid Conner in the first round (Craddock) or HHS in the first two rounds (Doty and Rom) then I would pick one of them to win the region. If not, I'll take Bluebirds again.

Don't disagree but, curious why you state that HHS would need those pitching performances. This could be a statement about their offense or defense. All teams have their challenges and they certainly have established their pitching depth. Either way, any thoughts on teams sandbagging 1's or 2's for later round games?

Don't disagree but, curious why you state that HHS would need those pitching performances. This could be a statement about their offense or defense. All teams have their challenges and they certainly have established their pitching depth. Either way, any thoughts on teams sandbagging 1's or 2's for later round games?

IMO HHS does not have the firepower at the plate, nor speed. If they get in a shoot out with any team that I listed, they would lose. If the pitching shuts down a good team, then I believe they can plate a run or two to win.

As far as sandbagging...this is very dangerous. Most every team, even the 2 seeds in the regional, has at least one pitcher that can shut a team down. I've seen teams nearly every year hold off on pitching their ace only to have him come into a losing game and try and salvage the loss. Oddly enough, pitching gets worse the further you get. That is why I believe if Cov Cath or BW can withstand the 1st couple rounds they would be favored in a final.

Ryle and St. Henry could be headaches for somebody in the first round as well.

True. I guess that I omitted Ryle because of their districts. Dixie won their district so St. Henry will face a 1 seed. Your're right... that would be a tough one. I'd rather face Dixie. lol.

When does Ryle, Conner and Cooper flip the coin for district seeding?

District at Conner this year. And just because St. Henry is likely the two seed in the 34th doesn't mean they can't win the district. Confused on what Cord of Wood was saying in previous post.

You're right. I messed up. They can still win district.