Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryan Russilo

Featured Replies

Did anyone listen to Russilo and Kane today, on ESPN? I can't find a link. But Ryan went on a 5-10 minute rant for lack of a better term. Just discussing concerns many on here have had about ESPN. Saying 90% of ESPN have the same political beliefs and if you discuss beliefs opposite of that there you would be made to feel uncomfortable.

 

He said he doesn't know what the job is anymore because he got into it to discuss sports not social issues and it's got to the point if you aren't talking social issues atleast 3 days a week you aren't doing your job.

 

It stemmed from a comment Dan Lebatard made saying he wasn't allowed to critcize Trump and Russilo disagreed since a majority of the day time programming at ESPN does exactly that.

 

It was a pretty good segment.

I did not hear it but wish I did...he will probably be suspended tomorrow...:lol2:

 

I read today that Fox News (not Fox Sports) was the number one rated cable network in January (not just news but ALL cable networks, including ESPN). I was shocked at that. I think ESPN's change in tenor to go to more political stuff has hurt them. When I watch a sports channel, I want to see and hear sports, not politics (whether it be right or left). I will watch a news channel for that stuff.

I did not hear it but wish I did...he will probably be suspended tomorrow...:lol2:

 

I read today that Fox News (not Fox Sports) was the number one rated cable network in January (not just news but ALL cable networks, including ESPN). I was shocked at that. I think ESPN's change in tenor to go to more political stuff has hurt them. When I watch a sports channel, I want to see and hear sports, not politics (whether it be right or left). I will watch a news channel for that stuff.

 

I'll disagree with your contention that "political stuff" hurt ESPN. ESPN has been on a slide for quite a while because we no longer have a reason to watch Sportscenter. They haven't yet figured out how to get those people (like me) back. Plus Fox News got a bump from President Trump news.

 

I'm much more interested in hearing a Mike and Mike segment that combines life issues with sports than I am hearing who talking heads think will win a game or trade rumors.

I'll disagree with your contention that "political stuff" hurt ESPN. ESPN has been on a slide for quite a while because we no longer have a reason to watch Sportscenter. They haven't yet figured out how to get those people (like me) back. Plus Fox News got a bump from President Trump news.

 

I'm much more interested in hearing a Mike and Mike segment that combines life issues with sports than I am hearing who talking heads think will win a game or trade rumors.

 

I'm for these types of things so long as a decent balance is struck. But there is something to be said as well for being able to segment some of these things. Some people go to sports radio (or whatever) for a respite from heavily politicized talk. And it can wear on you when those get encroached on. I have an entire entertainment site that I used to love - particularly their TV section - that has become almost unbearable because they constantly have politics on the site.

  • Author
I'll disagree with your contention that "political stuff" hurt ESPN. ESPN has been on a slide for quite a while because we no longer have a reason to watch Sportscenter. They haven't yet figured out how to get those people (like me) back. Plus Fox News got a bump from President Trump news.

 

I'm much more interested in hearing a Mike and Mike segment that combines life issues with sports than I am hearing who talking heads think will win a game or trade rumors.

 

What you describe is different than the obviouw SJW or political take over of ESPN.

  • Author
This article seems to be a good fit here.

 

The End of “Stick to Sports” – The Ringer

 

This will be the demise of the old sports media creating a political divide. Sports is an outlet from real world issues. Then when such outlets have one viewpoint dominate the conversation it will hurt the landscape. Most these same media members are like those from the beltway and are locked in the coast or large urban areas. They have tunnel vision and do not understand their consumer. They shame the consumer who disagrees.

 

ESPN is thankful they locked in these live sport contracts. Otherwise their demise would be much swifter.

There aren't many that listen to more sports talk radio than me. I flip the channels on commercials and am not locked on one station. I listen all day long, off and on, as I am on the road a lot. I have not noticed sports talk radio suddenly becoming political. Lebatard is the only one I listen to who spends a good amount of time talking about social issues. The link above talks about sportswriters. I am talking about sports talk radio. Have others felt sports talk radio has become political talk radio?

  • Author
There aren't many that listen to more sports talk radio than me. I flip the channels on commercials and am not locked on one station. I listen all day long, off and on, as I am on the road a lot. I have not noticed sports talk radio suddenly becoming political. Lebatard is the only one I listen to who spends a good amount of time talking about social issues. The link above talks about sportswriters. I am talking about sports talk radio. Have others felt sports talk radio has become political talk radio?

 

I started this topic based on ESPN. A lot of those writers in that article have a voice on ESPN. But those that don't still aren't local talk radio. Local talk radio normally is closer to it's community as opposed to talking heads with an agenda.

 

One could make the arguement the reason Mike and Mike are the most successful ESPN radio show is because how vanilla the show is in general.

  • Author
I'm listening to national shows.

 

You could quote me but what National shows.

I'll disagree with your contention that "political stuff" hurt ESPN. ESPN has been on a slide for quite a while because we no longer have a reason to watch Sportscenter. They haven't yet figured out how to get those people (like me) back. Plus Fox News got a bump from President Trump news.

 

I'm much more interested in hearing a Mike and Mike segment that combines life issues with sports than I am hearing who talking heads think will win a game or trade rumors.

 

I agree regarding Mike and Mike combining life issues with sports. I like the show a lot for that reason too. However, that is a different topic. What they do NOT do is talk politics often at all. Even when they are forced to (eg: Kaepernick), they go out of their way to state both sides and not try to ram their political opinions down their viewers' throats. That is one reason (not the only reason) the show is so popular. Liberals and conservatives both can enjoy it.

Easiest thing I ever did was stop watching ESPN, for anything other than game broadcasts.

 

I just don't understand the fascination with listening to, much less watching, one guy or a bunch of guys I don't know discussing anything, including sports. I'd rather spend that time discussing those same issue with my friends, reading a book, or making money.

 

And I absolutely hate all the hype that is ESPN.

You could quote me but what National shows.

 

Mike and Mike

A small dose of Clay Travis and before him Furman

Some Lebatard, a lot of Cowherd when he was still on a local station

Dan Patrick

Rich Eisen, Jim Rome when we was on locally

Russilo, Kanell, Van Pelt

Small amount of Jay Mohr

 

Local shows - Mo Egger, Lance, Chick (Monday mornings during football season) ... I really like Ken Broo on weekends

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.