8th Region Rankings/Recap

The transfer from Shelby County is in 8th grade so he attends Spencer County Middle School. Spencer County Middle School has a rating of 75.3 which is Distinguished. If he had stayed at Shelby East Middle School he would have been attending a school with a rating of 54.6 Needs Improvement. Huge difference in the education he is getting this year. I talk to his mother on a daily basis and she is blown away by the difference. As far as districts go. Spencer County scores a 72.9 Distinguished and Shelby County scores a 64.4 Needs Improvement. This year especially the child is getting way more. The past two years Spencer County High School has outperformed Shelby County High School (not by much this year, a little more the year before). When you figure in the vast difference in the coaching--no brainer. In my original post I didn't mention the high school performance anyway.

My bad. Had no knowledge that the young man was only in 8th grade, only assumed he was in high school. I have no first hand knowledge as to what is happening with Shelby's elementary/middle school scores; however, historically Shelby HSs have been well respected. Large employment base with English as second language workforce is a known significant educational challenge. Cannot estimate this impact, if any.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have them eighth that's three spots from where they are now. That's not some incredible jump. I think your giving Anderson style points from last year. What have they done this year to deserve your number four spot? All you can do to compare teams if they haven't played is to look at common opponents. So-- Spencer and Anderson have both played Danville and South Oldham. Spencer beat Danville by more than Anderson and Spencer lost to South Oldham by 3 while Anderson lost by 11. I would say Spencer and Anderson are dead even. Anderson has one of the best players in the region, but I would argue that Spencer is a better team. Those young kids your talking about have been playing basketball since they were 5 years old 365 days a year. Several of them play on high level AAU teams so they aren't going to hit some invisible wall, because they are just used to middle school ball. I don't know if you have even seen Spencer play, but they are actually getting stronger and better. As far as schedules go--South Oldham twice already and Bullitt East. Three games already against top 20 teams in the state. Haven't even played Anderson, Collins, Oldham. I would say that their schedule is not weak. As far as Spencer goes you bring up the past, but I am talking now and the future. I would have to respectfully disagree when you say top 5 not happening this season. You almost have them their now?

Lets ask the VERY same question of Spencer...what have they done to deserve/get a higher ranking? The way Anderson is playing within the region they may very well play themselves out of the top four...I hope not and big game with Shelby tonight will factor into that, but Spencer can't say they have done much of anything to put themselves much if any higher than they are at this point, but that could change as well IF they can win some games against foes that have routinely beat them the past several years. You also keep talking about the 3 point loss to SO while either completely dismissing or not even recognizing the 29 point beat down just a couple of weeks before. You can't mention one without the other. Just like Anderson can't mention the 29 point win against SO last year without mentioning the almost 40 point blowout loss to them in the region finals.

Like someone said above, I have a feeling you may be a little too close to the program and your opinion has at least a little Bear bias to it...if not a LOT.

tonights picks.

Collins by 17 over spencer

Anderson by 22 over Shelby.

I hope you're right, but looking at recent common opponent Johnson Central, AC with a double digit loss and SC with an OT win, ummmm, I don't know. I definitely don't see a 22 point win at this point, just a close win would be nice.

Lets ask the VERY same question of Spencer...what have they done to deserve/get a higher ranking? The way Anderson is playing within the region they may very well play themselves out of the top four...I hope not and big game with Shelby tonight will factor into that, but Spencer can't say they have done much of anything to put themselves much if any higher than they are at this point, but that could change as well IF they can win some games against foes that have routinely beat them the past several years. You also keep talking about the 3 point loss to SO while either completely dismissing or not even recognizing the 29 point beat down just a couple of weeks before. You can't mention one without the other. Just like Anderson can't mention the 29 point win against SO last year without mentioning the almost 40 point blowout loss to them in the region finals.

Like someone said above, I have a feeling you may be a little too close to the program and your opinion has at least a little Bear bias to it...if not a LOT.

Oh man. You just opened a huge can of worms. Dude is probably pounding the keys off his keyboard right now.

Big VMan23--I remember you from this summer. I think you might have been a little too close to Anderson's program with some of the "predictions" you were making to be unbiased. I won't post some of the things you were posting about Anderson County. If you look back at what I said about Spencer County in the summer some of it has actually happened. I remember I said that Spencer County was probably a year away from being dangerous, but it has happened a little sooner. They are very dangerous. By no means do I think they are a regional threat this year, but on a given night they can beat just about anyone as the last South Oldham score shows. People "chuckled" when I made some comments this summer. All I know is that when you throw talent in with a VERY good coach things are going to start to happen. I've noticed on this board that if you say anything positive about your team people start shooting it down quickly. I understand that you have to earn the respect-- especially when Spencer County has never had any kind of history of winning. I think the people on here that actually watch games know what is going on and have a good idea that Spencer County is just starting a huge upswing for their program. This young team will get beat down some nights, but at the end of the season I wouldn't want to play them. Anyway, I respect all opinions on here. Go Bears!

I plan on going to the Anderson/ Shelby Co. game tonight in Lawrenceburg I saw Shelby in their first game at home v. Mercer I realize that they had several kids just coming from football and a new coach. Anderson's starting 5 is more talented than Shelby's imo but it's a game of matchups and making shots. If Penny is hitting Anderson is good if he gets in foul trouble or is off they struggle.

Big VMan23--I remember you from this summer. I think you might have been a little too close to Anderson's program with some of the "predictions" you were making to be unbiased. I won't post some of the things you were posting about Anderson County. If you look back at what I said about Spencer County in the summer some of it has actually happened. I remember I said that Spencer County was probably a year away from being dangerous, but it has happened a little sooner. They are very dangerous. By no means do I think they are a regional threat this year, but on a given night they can beat just about anyone as the last South Oldham score shows. People "chuckled" when I made some comments this summer. All I know is that when you throw talent in with a VERY good coach things are going to start to happen. I've noticed on this board that if you say anything positive about your team people start shooting it down quickly. I understand that you have to earn the respect-- especially when Spencer County has never had any kind of history of winning. I think the people on here that actually watch games know what is going on and have a good idea that Spencer County is just starting a huge upswing for their program. This young team will get beat down some nights, but at the end of the season I wouldn't want to play them. Anyway, I respect all opinions on here. Go Bears!

Actually yes I am pretty close to the AC program...and yes I (as many others did as well) predicted they would be the favorites to win the 8th...not hands down favorites by any stretch, but favorites, as well they should have been at that time. However one cannot account for transfers, players quitting/not playing, in season player turmoil, etc. If you look at my post I said they are ranked #4 right now, but the way they have been playing in region they very easily could find themselves sliding if they don't pick up their game. I'd like to think and believe my comments are somewhat realistic with some hopefulness sprinkled in...I think it could definitely be argued you can be...lets say very overly optimistic at times. Nothing wrong with that per se, but with that you are definitely going to have your feet held to the fire from time to time.

I plan on going to the Anderson/ Shelby Co. game tonight in Lawrenceburg I saw Shelby in their first game at home v. Mercer I realize that they had several kids just coming from football and a new coach. Anderson's starting 5 is more talented than Shelby's imo but it's a game of matchups and making shots. If Penny is hitting Anderson is good if he gets in foul trouble or is off they struggle.

I will be there tonight as well. Hearing a starter may be out...not sure what's going on. Saw Shelby play Mercer their first game, and they just looked awful. Then they beat Johnson Co a couple of weeks ago who handled AC pretty easily a few days before, so I don't know what to think now.

Well I will say this, Anderson will win at home. Their win against Valley at home is one of the most impressive wins in the region. Like I said, at home. 16th, you are right, if penny gets in foul trouble AC is done. If AC gets any fouls they have no bench.

I will be there tonight as well. Hearing a starter may be out...not sure what's going on. Saw Shelby play Mercer their first game, and they just looked awful. Then they beat Johnson Co a couple of weeks ago who handled AC pretty easily a few days before, so I don't know what to think now.

Hadn't heard that senior Keegan Yett was ejected in the Greenup Co. game v. West Carter I was there at that game he picked up 2 technical's and would have to sit the next two games which would have been the Paintsville and the bath Co. games.

Maybe someone is sick or may be sitting him another game he got pretty upset after his ejection on the bench.

Actually yes I am pretty close to the AC program...and yes I (as many others did as well) predicted they would be the favorites to win the 8th...not hands down favorites by any stretch, but favorites, as well they should have been at that time. However one cannot account for transfers, players quitting/not playing, in season player turmoil, etc. If you look at my post I said they are ranked #4 right now, but the way they have been playing in region they very easily could find themselves sliding if they don't pick up their game. I'd like to think and believe my comments are somewhat realistic with some hopefulness sprinkled in...I think it could definitely be argued you can be...lets say very overly optimistic at times. Nothing wrong with that per se, but with that you are definitely going to have your feet held to the fire from time to time.

Fair enough.