8th Region Rankings/Recap

You get the best of both at Spencer County. One of the top coaches in the state and a Distinguished District Academically. I would say lots of players would be interested in that combination. I know the kid that transferred from Shelby very well and he was blown away by how much better of an education he is now acquiring at Spencer County. I'm not emotionally invested--I just like to discuss things with people and give them another side to look at. I kind of do know what's going on in Spencer County and I figured the logical people on these boards might like to have the insight when discussing the 8th region. That is all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get the best of both at Spencer County. One of the top coaches in the state and a Distinguished District Academically. I would say lots of players would be interested in that combination. I know the kid that transferred from Shelby very well and he was blown away by how much better of an education he is now acquiring at Spencer County. I'm not emotionally invested--I just like to discuss things with people and give them another side to look at. I kind of do know what's going on in Spencer County and I figured the logical people on these boards might like to have the insight when discussing the 8th region. That is all.
It was because they didn't like the coach hired at Shelby. Not that I blame them but that is an entirely different topic. IMO Burns should have been at Shelby Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 8

Not emotionally invested? HA

It was because they didn't like the coach hired at Shelby. Not that I blame them but that is an entirely different topic. IMO Burns should have been at Shelby

Burns had no interest in Shelby County. Burns has it really good at Spencer and the future is extremely bright!

It was because they didn't like the coach hired at Shelby. Not that I blame them but that is an entirely different topic. IMO Burns should have been at Shelby

That was only part of the decision. Conley's link to Spencer was that one of his best friends--Jake Whitlock who played on his AAU team (Go Hard In The Paint) attends Spencer County. Conley's mom and Whitlock's dad had been discussing them playing together in high school for several years. Academically it was a no brainer. It has worked out well for Sam in just about every aspect of his life. Happy for the kid!

Not an expert at KDE's academic and achievement ratings, but cannot support the superior academic image you are implying when comparing Shelby Co. HS and Spencer Co. HS. Shelby's rating was 73.3(a modest improvement of 0.02)...Spencer's was 73.4 (a concerning decline of 2.5) both earned Proficient, but Spencer has the stigma of Focus. Not knocking Spencer, but your implications of academic superiority at the HS level are subjective and not supported by actual documented performance.

Not an expert at KDE's academic and achievement ratings, but cannot support the superior academic image you are implying when comparing Shelby Co. HS and Spencer Co. HS. Shelby's rating was 73.3(a modest improvement of 0.02)...Spencer's was 73.4 (a concerning decline of 2.5) both earned Proficient, but Spencer has the stigma of Focus. Not knocking Spencer, but your implications of academic superiority at the HS level are subjective and not supported by actual documented performance.

The transfer from Shelby County is in 8th grade so he attends Spencer County Middle School. Spencer County Middle School has a rating of 75.3 which is Distinguished. If he had stayed at Shelby East Middle School he would have been attending a school with a rating of 54.6 Needs Improvement. Huge difference in the education he is getting this year. I talk to his mother on a daily basis and she is blown away by the difference. As far as districts go. Spencer County scores a 72.9 Distinguished and Shelby County scores a 64.4 Needs Improvement. This year especially the child is getting way more. The past two years Spencer County High School has outperformed Shelby County High School (not by much this year, a little more the year before). When you figure in the vast difference in the coaching--no brainer. In my original post I didn't mention the high school performance anyway.

With all this back and forth it seems every kid should want to come to Oldham County for education and oh by the way pretty good basketball programs across the boards. Looking forward to the games tonight and next week.

Oldham county education is the measuring stick. No disagreement there!