Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Philip Morris "Could" phase out Cigarettes

Featured Replies

Philip Morris CEO looks towards phasing out cigarettes -BBC

LONDON, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Philip Morris International , the world's largest international tobacco company, could eventually stop selling cigarettes, its chief executive told the BBC on Wednesday, as it launched its alternative product IQOS in Britain.

 

The company's IQOS smokeless cigarette, which is already on sale in over a dozen markets including Japan, Switzerland and Italy, heats tobacco enough to produce a vapour without burning it. The company believes that makes it much less harmful than cigarettes.

 

Japan Tobacco International also has a tobacco-based cigarette alternative called Ploom Tech, and British American Tobacco said this month that it was also testing one.

 

"I believe there will come a moment in time where I would say we have sufficient adoption of these alternative products ... to start envisaging, together with governments, a phase-out period for cigarettes," Andre Calantzopoulos said in an interview on BBC Radio 4.

 

"I hope this time will come soon," he added.

 

Additionally I saw today that U.S. Will Ban Smoking in Public Housing Nationwide

 

Is the end near "Relatively Near" for Cigarettes?

  • Author
Ha...I'd like to see that take place. What are they going to hold over people's heads when they are smoking in their Section 8 housing? Will they kick people out for it?

 

Good Question

Ha...I'd like to see that take place. What are they going to hold over people's heads when they are smoking in their Section 8 housing? Will they kick people out for it?

 

How crazy would it be for the cigarette smoker to get kicked out but the meth heads are still posted up? :lol2: :lol2:

Altria the parent company isn't going to this. It's a good headline. While Phillip Morris/Altria has done a great job of rebranding it is still to big of a cash cow to just stop.

I'd fully like to see cigarettes be weaned out of society. I full don't believe the government should have a say in that though. I don't smoke, never have, never will. I can't even stand to be around it. But I'm comforted by the fact that if I wanted to smoke I know I could because I know I can make that same decision on any other product I wish to consume. But if a tobacco company like Philip Morris decided to stop making cigarettes, then that is their right and I would personally love to see them do it.

Altria the parent company isn't going to this. It's a good headline. While Phillip Morris/Altria has done a great job of rebranding it is still to big of a cash cow to just stop.

 

Well, if you read the headline then the article, I think the headline is a little misleading. There may very well come a time where the "traditional" cigarette is phased out...paper, fiber filter, fire to light it...but...if you are still heating tobacco to get nicotine, it's still a form of cigarette, or at least cigarette-like. And they will still make those, if whatever form they take.

I'm pulling the lever on this one. If they quit producing cigarettes as we know them, then someone else is just going to come along and take their spot. Money talks.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.