Covington Holy Cross 26 Newport Central Catholic 21

HCalumni32

Rather surprised to see you be so critical of the refs. Congratulations HC. Good win.

They blew the play at a critical point! Actually thought they called a pretty good game. Let defensive backs hold receivers more than I liked. But they blew that play. Even if they got it correct, it looked like a total guess.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw no official waive the play dead either. Although it may be hard to hear a whistle, the video should be extremely easy to see official with arms over their head waiving play dead. Anyone see that?

But his knee was down, correct? If so it sounds like the ball was placed where it should have been.

I saw no official waive the play dead either. Although it may be hard to hear a whistle, the video should be extremely easy to see official with arms over their head waiving play dead. Anyone see that?

You couldn't see all of the officials. The official who is by the LBs (not sure what he's called) didn't signal anything. The side judge came running in. Arms weren't waving. Him coming into the pile would seem to indicate he had the run completed as I don't think they run in before the tackle.

Again no whistle blew before Freppon was in end zone. So maybe blew the whistle when they decided to change the call?

You realize that other people are saying they heard it, and it's possible it blew without you hearing it, and the side judge came running in which signifies the carry ended, right?

Lots of mixed reviews, we all have our own perspective. Again I do not have a child playing but I know what I saw and heard or didn't hear. We can all agree to disagree. I would NOT want our team to win at any cost. That was a very unfair judgement. But the truth is people are saying on video knee down but no whistle or refs running in with arm signals. Freppon in end zone before they decide and call back. At game did not hear whistle during fumble or before he was in end zone. So IF they got the call right it was still a very questionable time line, exchange and decision. If a Ref didnt see a knee down and didn't call the play dead, then isn't the ball still live? Still playable? At best questionable decision.

So do you think HC fans would have a reason to be upset if the refs blew the fumble call and award NCC a TD when the runner was down? And HC loses game because of blown call. At least the call was correct.

I'll assume that's rhetorical.

At the end of the day the mistakenly got the call right. Isn't that what we should all want?

Devil's Advocate--what if they award NCC a TD and they win...and we find out later Freppon's knee was down? You would have to look in the mirror and say HC got the shaft?

A few bottom lines: 1)NCC must score with 3rd and goal from the 2..zero excuse, championship teams do that. 2) why in the world is HC running the ball there? NCC has no time outs..take a knee, championship teams do that.