Honest question, help me understand..... Fans & Coaches

ChiefSmoke

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches have the ability and the "know how" to disconnect themselves emotionally from their players. Not saying they don't care. But when it comes to decision making, most successful coaches do what's best for the team and not what's best for a specific player or fans. Fans have no reason to disconnect emotionally hence the difference in perception.

I don't know if the Manning 30 for 30 would be the best in this situation. Although the 30 for 30 was very kind to the Mannings, there was a ton of involvement when it came to Eli's drafting from dear old dad. Mannings medle as much as Mr Ball does with his sons, the media just treated the Mannings as if they were royalty and kept silence mostly about the meddling.

I agree 100% about the Manning influence. How cool would it be for Archie Manning to announce that he could beat Tom Brady in a skills contest while throwing left handed?

I can honestly say that I have never made the wrong call in all my years of watching my beloved Mayfield Cardinals from the stands. With my perfect track record I have often wondered why our coaches don't turn to me for advice. Hence is the beauty of being a arm chair QB.

Apparently some Highlands parents know way more than the coaches and take offence if you don't agree with that fact. The evidence is in their threads the last couple weeks. Yeah I said it. Everyone likes to play a little monday morning QB. Some peoples arrogance takes it to a whole other level. Discussing the team and aspects of it is one thing. Outright undermining the staff and basically calling them incompetent is wrong. Sometimes coaching changes need to be made. That call should never be made by parents and fans who only have a short term interest in the program. There is so much that goes into coaching HS football that the AD and principal should have the only influence on who stays and who goes. Sometime it's a little more than just wins and losses. Coaches help build character and ethics in these young men and that is just as important. Most of them will hang up the cleats after HS and the lessons learned endure way after the Friday night lights have faded. Coaches spend way more time with the kids than the just product you see on Friday nights. Coaches want to win. It's unreasonable for parents or fans assume they can do better. Like I've said before stop running your gator, put in a resume to the AD get a job and prove it ,or shut up, sit down, cheer and clap and support your kids win or lose.

I hear what you are saying, but the truth is, every school has people who are both good and bad at representing a program. The older and richer the tradition, the more you will have of each. In Highlands case, the fans love to pound their chest just as much as the jealous like to jump on them during a down time. Both can go a bit overboard at times... I think it goes both ways. However, a school with a fan base of over 100 years of winning and generations of alum will just have a louder voice than a school that has been around 10 or 20 years with high and low seasons. I don't think it's Highlands specific.

I hear what you are saying, but the truth is, every school has people who are both good and bad at representing a program. The older and richer the tradition, the more you will have of each. In Highlands case, the fans love to pound their chest just as much as the jealous like to jump on them during a down time. Both can go a bit overboard at times... I think it goes both ways. However, a school with a fan base of over 100 years of winning and generations of alum will just have a louder voice than a school that has been around 10 or 20 years with high and low seasons. I don't think it's Highlands specific.

True, very true.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a fan, you have an opinion. May be right, may be wrong. Sometimes the fan is right exactly because the staff is too close. Can't see forest for the trees. Every NFL or college team needs a fan in the box to throw the BS flag. You are up 30 in the 4th. Run the damn ball. Coach throw away that laminated play sheet and pay attention.