September 30, 201610 yr Reds lose on a controversial play in the bottom of the 9th. That's on the manager. Waited too long. Why wait?
September 30, 201610 yr That's on the manager. Waited too long. Why wait? On Mike & Mike they said that the phone didn't ring or they couldn't hear it ring.
September 30, 201610 yr On Mike & Mike they said that the phone didn't ring or they couldn't hear it ring. Phone didn't ring? I thought they were talking about Price not asking for replay on what could have been a ground rule double that would have kept the winning run at 3rd base.
September 30, 201610 yr On the Cards post game they said even though they have 30 secs to challenge they are suppose to let the umpires know immediately they may challenge. They also made a really good point asking how in the world do umpires miss the call to start with. It was pretty obvious it was a double in real time.
September 30, 201610 yr Phone didn't ring? I thought they were talking about Price not asking for replay on what could have been a ground rule double that would have kept the winning run at 3rd base. Could have sworn Mike & Mike said that the phone didn't work or they didn't ring or something along those lines. Because usually Managers get a call from whoever it in the replay booth for the team.
September 30, 201610 yr On the Cards post game they said even though they have 30 secs to challenge they are suppose to let the umpires know immediately they may challenge. They also made a really good point asking how in the world do umpires miss the call to start with. It was pretty obvious it was a double in real time. 30 seconds applies to third out. End of ha e requires an immediate appeal.
September 30, 201610 yr 30 seconds applies to third out. End of ha e requires an immediate appeal. Good to know. I'll take the win but didn't want it to end in a questionable manner. Although I still don't see how the umps missed it. Also Duvall has to say something.
September 30, 201610 yr Could have sworn Mike & Mike said that the phone didn't work or they didn't ring or something along those lines. Because usually Managers get a call from whoever it in the replay booth for the team. They couldn't hear it because it was a walk off and the crowd was going wild.
September 30, 201610 yr I heard one explanation that it didn't matter because the ground rules state that if a ball hits off that sign behind the wall it is still in play and not a ground rule double.
September 30, 201610 yr I heard one explanation that it didn't matter because the ground rules state that if a ball hits off that sign behind the wall it is still in play and not a ground rule double. The sign is behind the wall. A ball hits it, it's immediately dead and a ground-rule double.
September 30, 201610 yr 30 seconds applies to third out. End of ha e requires an immediate appeal. Which is ridiculous. 2 seconds after Carpenter touches home? 5 seconds? 12 seconds? Are all those "immediate?" Are any of them "immediate?" What is the rule on scope when asking for an appeal? Do you have to tell them specifically what you're looking for OR do they look at everything once you've made the request (which is, I think, the NFL rule)? If you have a challenge left, why wouldn't you stand right next to the home plate ump on any walk off situation and as soon as the player touches home say "I challenge." Basically the only way you can preserve anything. Runner missed a base. Ball out of play. Spectator interference. Pine tar bat. Also, what is the rule on filing a protest now? In the old days, I would think this is a good grounds for a protest. It's not a judgment call (unless the 3B ump is saying "I watched it and the ball didn't hit the sign behind the wall -- in which case that guy's ticket back to AAA ought to be punched RIGHT NOW), it's a misinterpretation of the rules. Have they given a "get out of jail free" card to umps with replay by saying "Protest is denied because you could have corrected the error by challenging the play and you didn't. Shame on you." Also, if it wasn't the Cardinals and it wasn't freakin' Yadier Molina, I wouldn't be half as worked up about this.
September 30, 201610 yr I heard one explanation that it didn't matter because the ground rules state that if a ball hits off that sign behind the wall it is still in play and not a ground rule double. That is not true. It is a ground rule double. I have seen it on TV and in person and it is always a ground rule double.
September 30, 201610 yr Which is ridiculous. 2 seconds after Carpenter touches home? 5 seconds? 12 seconds? Are all those "immediate?" Are any of them "immediate?" What is the rule on scope when asking for an appeal? Do you have to tell them specifically what you're looking for OR do they look at everything once you've made the request (which is, I think, the NFL rule)? If you have a challenge left, why wouldn't you stand right next to the home plate ump on any walk off situation and as soon as the player touches home say "I challenge." Basically the only way you can preserve anything. Runner missed a base. Ball out of play. Spectator interference. Pine tar bat. Also, what is the rule on filing a protest now? In the old days, I would think this is a good grounds for a protest. It's not a judgment call (unless the 3B ump is saying "I watched it and the ball didn't hit the sign behind the wall -- in which case that guy's ticket back to AAA ought to be punched RIGHT NOW), it's a misinterpretation of the rules. Have they given a "get out of jail free" card to umps with replay by saying "Protest is denied because you could have corrected the error by challenging the play and you didn't. Shame on you." Also, if it wasn't the Cardinals and it wasn't freakin' Yadier Molina, I wouldn't be half as worked up about this. Umpires do not hang around once the game is over. Therefore, immediate needs to be before all 4 leave the field.
September 30, 201610 yr To add to the embarrassment of not even challenging it the Reds now say they didn't hear the challenge phone ring in their dugout because it was on vibrate. Again, challenge IMMEDIATELY. There is NO downside.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.