Money Grab at Thomas More?

Hellbird

Having 70 freshman players on the team

is embarrassing. They will be lucky if 20 of them stick around and play when they are seniors.

Sad there are teams that actually only care about the tuition they can bring in and don't care about the kids that get suckered into believing they have a chance to play collegiate football.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is embarrassing. They will be lucky if 20 of them stick around and play when they are seniors.

Sad there are teams that actually only care about the tuition they can bring in and don't care about the kids that get suckered into believing they have a chance to play collegiate football.

They have a JV team also.

Kids go to TMC because they want to play for a winning program.

HB why are you so sour today? These kids get a lot of options especially if they can qualify academically to get into Thomas More. There's no victim here. It's not like these kids just went and signed up one day without telling anyone and were under contract as a result.

Not sour, just heard about this last week and just felt bad for the ones who go thinking they will get to play on Saturdays is all. I'm not saying they shouldn't if that is what they want, I just think they are being used is all and feel bad for some is all. Just think that maybe some of the kids are being a little misled is all.

They are not deceiving anyone. They know what they are signing on for.

So do you really believe that? If that were the case there wouldn't be so many quitting after a year or two in the program.

I don't blame any of the players at all. I just think it's more of a money grab than anything.

Totally agree. Give a kid a uniform, and he pays you +$20K to attend. Total money grab. Same with soccer....46 on the roster.

I honestly don't think the kids are aware there is no limit to the number of teammates when they sign on. They're only thinking of playing "at the next level".

They are not deceiving anyone. They know what they are signing on for.

I disagree, somewhat. That first tuition bill for "scholarship" players at a private school can be a big shock to the system for parents who can't let go of their kids' youthful playing days. Parents invest so much ridiculous money in travel/competitive/AAU/etc. sports for 10 years or so that they can't grasp the concept that their kids just aren't that great a player.

The dirty secret about kids getting athletic scholarships at private colleges — especially NAIA Kentucky schools — is that it would be cheaper if their kids just gave up sports and opted to go to Eastern, Western, etc. as a regular student.

I disagree, somewhat. That first tuition bill for "scholarship" players at a private school can be a big shock to the system for parents who can't let go of their kids' youthful playing days. Parents invest so much ridiculous money in travel/competitive/AAU/etc. sports for 10 years or so that they can't grasp the concept that their kids just aren't that great a player.

The dirty secret about kids getting athletic scholarships at private colleges — especially NAIA Kentucky schools — is that it would be cheaper if their kids just gave up sports and opted to go to Eastern, Western, etc. as a regular student.

Again none of this is held in secret. They all know how much aid they are getting and how much the remaining tuition costs and they all know how many kids are in the program.

Some of these kids just decide it isn't worth the time invested after a year or two. Some realize they were not as good they thought they were. Some just find out college is harder than they anticipated and it has nothing to do with sports.

Add to the fact that there are no athletic scholarships at DIII. Sounds like they are using the lure of playing college sports to boost their tuition intake.

Also to answer sportsfan41, I would almost garuntee when these freshmen signed in they didn't know how many other freshmen players were coming in as well.