Is Central Still "Central"?

gchs_uk9

With Central struggling to start this season, albeit with losses to really good teams (Manual, Corbin, CAL, St. Xavier) and with conversation last year centering around Scroggins possibly leaving (it didn't happen), are the days of Central being a significant power in Class 3A going away?

I've always admired the work their staff has done and the effort their kids have played with. Those things will always be there. But it seems like the talent level isn't as high as it used to be. Is there a reason for that? Will it come back?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to get some balancing within the JCPS teams. The feeder schools have started to really balance out talent more (rather than it all going to two or three schools) and this has caught up to Central a bit.

Thanks. Can you explain a little bit about how that works?

I think you're seeing a demographic shift where more kids are being "directed" to Waggener and Male. Scroggins certainly hasn't forgotten how to coach......he just isn't getting the best players. for several years, Central continually produced D1 talent....almost at the rate of Trinity. That's no longer happening. Tim Patterson and Anthony Wales are the last ones I can remember.....

I think you're seeing a demographic shift where more kids are being "directed" to Waggener and Male. Scroggins certainly hasn't forgotten how to coach......he just isn't getting the best players. for several years, Central continually produced D1 talent....almost at the rate of Trinity. That's no longer happening. Tim Patterson and Anthony Wales are the last ones I can remember.....

Doss is also hurting Central...

I can't help but think if Central had the elite level athletes that Doss or Waggener had we would be talking about Central as the only team that might be able to take Belfry down straight up.

Couldn't you also make the same thread for Boyle?

Central opponents are a combined 12-2 and 2 of Central's losses are to 6A teams.

You may be right, time will tell. The fact Central is winless with 19 Seniors may be a tell.

Me personally, I admire both Boyle and Central for such a demanding early schedule. So long as teams stay healthy, it can only help down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I would wager come post season, no one is excited to play either Central or Boyle.

Central maybe down, but they are not out and certainly not finished as long as Scroggins is their coach.

To me it is just as simple as a swing in talent. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was declaring them a "dynasty" and wondering if anyone could beat them.

Right now, Belfry is enjoying a run of super-gifted talent but the law of averages says you will not always not always have those kind of luxuries.

The common thread they both share is quality coaching that maximizes the athletes they have. Coaching will keep the program heading in the right direction even if the cupboard is a little lean.

Couldn't you also make the same thread for Boyle?

Perhaps. The difference is, though, Boyle has a set boundary to draw from. Why talent ebbs and flows at county schools, you basically know what you are getting. Central and Boyle aren't alike. As some previous posters have said, Central has gotten some students in the past who are now at schools like Doss, Waggener, etc. and the feeder system is balancing the load some. My question dealt more with would we ever see Central have the type of talent they've had in abundance over the last decade? I'm not so sure.

I would wager come post season, no one is excited to play either Central or Boyle.

This is 100% true.

Central maybe down, but they are not out and certainly not finished as long as Scroggins is their coach.

To me it is just as simple as a swing in talent. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was declaring them a "dynasty" and wondering if anyone could beat them.

Right now, Belfry is enjoying a run of super-gifted talent but the law of averages says you will not always not always have those kind of luxuries.

The common thread they both share is quality coaching that maximizes the athletes they have. Coaching will keep the program heading in the right direction even if the cupboard is a little lean.

This is all true. At 3A-level schools it is hard to be a dynasty. All of the schools are almost the exact same size and none are big enough to deal with talent level drops. That's why Boyle rose then fell, Central has slipped, and Belfry will likely drop in the future. But as you said, all of those teams have quality coaching and strong feeder programs, which helps weather the storms and come back strong in the years that follow.

This is all true. At 3A-level schools it is hard to be a dynasty. All of the schools are almost the exact same size and none are big enough to deal with talent level drops. That's why Boyle rose then fell, Central has slipped, and Belfry will likely drop in the future. But as you said, all of those teams have quality coaching and strong feeder programs, which helps weather the storms and come back strong in the years that follow.

The bolded is the key. There is no substitue for quality coaching AT THE YOUTH LEVEL.

At Belfry there is 3 key factors that IMO has led to the development of their success.

1. Louisville Central, first and foremost. Belfry saw in 2007 and 2010 where the new bar needed to be. I 100% believe the leaders of the Belfry program took stock of everything they were doing, and set about working very hard to make the improvements they felt needed to be made to beat Central. I know a lot of people say "work harder" is the recipe to getting better, and in this case, I believe it. Not just the physical work either, but the grinding job of honest evaluation of your program, at every aspect, and then identifying the changes that were needed, and then implementing them from top to bottom. I saw it happen, and it was an impressive thing.

2. Youth program rebirth. Spurred by the high school coaches at the top, a group of leaders for the youth league was tasked with redevelopment of the entire league. A renewed focus on quality coaching, support from the HS and MS staff, and implementing rules with emphasis on fundamentals, participation and a commitment to introduce the kids at this level to Belfry's system. They play two divisions, 3rd/4th grade, and 5th/6th grade. Everybody below that plays flag.

3. Middle School Football. When the new high school was built in 2005 and all the area elementary students in 6-8 grade were consolidated into Belfry Middle School, there was skepticism about how it would work out. It has been a Godsend. The program has been blessed again with good quality coaches to run it. These guys are good men, role models, and leaders first; and solid football coaches second. The HS staff supports them, works with them, and takes an interest in their program. Now you have guys who used to play for 3 or 4 different teams until 9th grade who are working together in 7th and 8th grade and playing two separate schedules against quality teams. By the time they get to high school, they are a solid unit, very fundamentally sound, and well versed in the system run by the high school.

It is easy to say Belfry's run is due to having the best talent, and it is partially true. Talent and athleticism are the building blocks, but those things are raw and have to be worked and developed into football players. Belfry's coaching staff has done a tremendous job of doing that, at the right pace, from the youth level on up, and they don't get enough credit for it. That is the thing that always intrigued me with programs like Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, etc., that were able to sustain the success. They don't win a lot of "coaching" awards because people get to thinking anyone could win coaching at those places, when in fact, they work extremely hard to develop that success and it is much more due to coaching and hard work than many want to admit.

Wow I didn't think I was going to have that much to say but when I got started.... :D

The bolded is the key. There is no substitue for quality coaching AT THE YOUTH LEVEL.

At Belfry there is 3 key factors that IMO has led to the development of their success.

1. Louisville Central, first and foremost. Belfry saw in 2007 and 2010 where the new bar needed to be. I 100% believe the leaders of the Belfry program took stock of everything they were doing, and set about working very hard to make the improvements they felt needed to be made to beat Central. I know a lot of people say "work harder" is the recipe to getting better, and in this case, I believe it. Not just the physical work either, but the grinding job of honest evaluation of your program, at every aspect, and then identifying the changes that were needed, and then implementing them from top to bottom. I saw it happen, and it was an impressive thing.

2. Youth program rebirth. Spurred by the high school coaches at the top, a group of leaders for the youth league was tasked with redevelopment of the entire league. A renewed focus on quality coaching, support from the HS and MS staff, and implementing rules with emphasis on fundamentals, participation and a commitment to introduce the kids at this level to Belfry's system. They play two divisions, 3rd/4th grade, and 5th/6th grade. Everybody below that plays flag.

3. Middle School Football. When the new high school was built in 2005 and all the area elementary students in 6-8 grade were consolidated into Belfry Middle School, there was skepticism about how it would work out. It has been a Godsend. The program has been blessed again with good quality coaches to run it. These guys are good men, role models, and leaders first; and solid football coaches second. The HS staff supports them, works with them, and takes an interest in their program. Now you have guys who used to play for 3 or 4 different teams until 9th grade who are working together in 7th and 8th grade and playing two separate schedules against quality teams. By the time they get to high school, they are a solid unit, very fundamentally sound, and well versed in the system run by the high school.

It is easy to say Belfry's run is due to having the best talent, and it is partially true. Talent and athleticism are the building blocks, but those things are raw and have to be worked and developed into football players. Belfry's coaching staff has done a tremendous job of doing that, at the right pace, from the youth level on up, and they don't get enough credit for it. That is the thing that always intrigued me with programs like Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, etc., that were able to sustain the success. They don't win a lot of "coaching" awards because people get to thinking anyone could win coaching at those places, when in fact, they work extremely hard to develop that success and it is much more due to coaching and hard work than many want to admit.

Wow I didn't think I was going to have that much to say but when I got started.... :D

This is a great analysis of what's occurred at Belfry.

What 'Tusi Said HAHA

I cannot agree more... the thing I add to the Middle School discussion is something I spoke about in the Bowling Green thread as well. The fact Belfry has stopped playing a regional schedule at the Feeder Level and has started to compete with great teams statewide is a huge help as well. Have to keep pushing those boundaries.

For those that are wondering "When is Belfry going to fall off?"

Well consider this:

- Belfry has won their Divisional State Title at the Middle School Level every year since this current crop of Seniors first did it.

- This current Freshman Class may have been the best Middle School team of the bunch. They went undefeated and even beat the large school Champs (Johnson Central) two or three different times. Pikeville was the small school Runner-Up and they beat them two times as well.

- The current Middle School team just lost their first game to Lexington Catholic in a shootout. They aren't near the level of last year's team but they will still compete for another Title, they have a very good QB and some good backs. Just not the size or Defense as some of the previous teams.

It's easy to hate on Haywood's one dimensional Offense but when these kids already know the playbook before they step foot at Belfry High School it puts Belfry at a distinct advantage. The staff can get straight to teaching advanced techniques as the fundamentals and playbook have long since been instilled by coaches at the Feeder level. It also makes replacing departing talent much easier.

Is Tim Patterson playing any where?