America's Paranormal Beliefs

Randy Parker

According to a nearly year-old Chapman University study:

* 41.4% of Americans believe places can be haunted by spirits.

* 26.5% of Americans believe the living & dead can communicate with one another.

* 20.9% of Americans believe dreams can foretell the future.

* 20.3% of Americans believe Aliens (the outer-space kind) visited Earth in our ancient past.

* 18.1% of Americans believe Aliens (the outer-space kind) have come to Earth in modern times.

* 13.9% of Americans believe astrologers, fortune-tellers, & psychics can foresee the future.

* 11.4% of Americans believe Bigfoot is a real creature.

Also according to the study, people with the highest levels of paranormal belief tend to have/be:

• Low levels of church attendance
  • Non-white
  • Catholic
  • No college degree
  • Female
  • Unmarried
  • Living in the Northeast

This Haunted World - Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences

Mrs. Lawnboy watches ALL the Ghost/Para-Normal shows on TV, hell she even went up to some abandoned hospital in Ohio a couple months ago with a couple others. They spend 8 hours walking through this place (from 9pm to 5 am) with a bunch of the stars of a couple of the Ghost-Hunter shows. :no:

I urinate her off all the time making fun of all these shows. :lol2:

Also according to the study, people with the highest levels of paranormal belief tend to have/be:

• Low levels of church attendance
  • Non-white
  • Catholic
  • No college degree
  • Female
  • Unmarried
  • Living in the Northeast

As a southern, married, white, Christian, non-Catholic, college-educated, male I guess I just don't fit the profile. :idunno:

Mrs. Lawnboy watches ALL the Ghost/Para-Normal shows on TV, hell she even went up to some abandoned hospital in Ohio a couple months ago with a couple others. They spend 8 hours walking through this place (from 9pm to 5 am) with a bunch of the stars of a couple of the Ghost-Hunter shows. :no:

I urinate her off all the time making fun of all these shows. :lol2:

Not sure what that is or if we want to know!

I don't believe in any of the listed.

However, on a couple of things on the list I will comment. I do believe there's a great possibility of multiple places in the universe that support life, and many that support intelligent life. The observable universe is 13.5 billion light years away in all directions, meaning from our point of observation it would be 27 billion light years in distance. There are billions of stars in our Milky Way galaxy, which is 100,000 light years across. The closest star to the earth would take a spaceship 38,000 years to travel there. And the universe has billions of more galaxies which have billions of stars (and planets) themselves. Mathematically it would be basically impossible for there not to be life elsewhere. But I don't believe it's ever visited earth. The only way that could happen would be some form of worm hole or time warp that would allow it, but I've really never bought into that. I've also never bought into different dimension theories. I think what we see is what we get based on the physical laws we have.