Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry 48 Tates Creek 12

Featured Replies

Running clock with 8:00 or so to go in the 2nd

 

Belfry is scary.... VERY scary

Running clock with 8:00 or so to go in the 2nd

 

Belfry is scary.... VERY scary

 

Good description ATL.

So, I guess Belfry's going to be pretty good at football again this year?

  • Author

This one was over in a hurry. Belfry forced a three and out on Tates Creek's first possession then Cameron Catron weaved 70 yards on a brilliantly blocked punt return for a TD. Tates Creek struggled to move the ball in the First Quarter while Belfry moved it effortlessly. The massive Pirate OLine simply overpower the Commodores and it wasn't uncommon to see Pirates pulling 15 yards down field and clearing the path.

 

Tates Creek got an 80 yard catch and run to the superb WR Jackson Beerman to end the First Quarter and then recovered a Belfry fumble on the kick return. Devin varney picked off TC shortly after and the Pirates went 96 yards in a hurry. Belfry capitalized on the two point try to get the running clock and then promptly gear it down.

 

The Good:

+ Not a lot to criticize about the Belfry Starting Offense and Defense. Simply put these guys are downright nasty.

+ The hype with Belfry is rightfully with their Seniors that everyone knows on a first name basis, but tonight two Juniors stole the show. FB/LB Derek Wellman got the MVP and had a pair of TD runs as well as a beautiful Interception dropping in coverage. HB/CB Devin Varney just looks the part. He is quickly becoming a lock down Corner and had an INT, he also is Belfry's most dangerous looking HB and has rare explosion and instincts and broke a gorgeous TD run.

+ The Belfry O-line simply is not fair. That's all that needs to be said.

+ Kudos to Grayson Cook and Austin Fields, two Freshmen getting the start on Defense tonight. Both looked pretty solid and Cook did double duty as the Placekicker, Cook hit 2/2 on FG's and 5/6 on XP's and did an adequate job on kickoffs.

 

THE BAD

- If any 3A team wants a silver lining, Belfry it over two times in Special Teams and both set up Tates Creek in great field position.

- I know it is trash time but Belfry had one possession with essentially next year's OLine and Backfield against the TC 1's. I was hoping to see a nice long TD Drive to build confidence for the future but it was very "meh". Picked up a couple first downs but then it fizzled out.

- I don't know the extent but Belfry's starting FB Andrew Fletcher left the game early with an arm injury and never returned. Hoping it is something minor and another one of these pesky injuries that have plagued Belfry this off-season. The good news is FB has some fantastic talent to shoulder the load.

 

THE UGLY

- Alright this is just a pet peeve...but when Belfry has their 3's and Freshmen in the game running a 3 play playbook, and you are a 6A team, I am just not a fan of seeing Tates Creek leaving their 1's in and trying to pad stats and make Hudl Highlights. All-State Jackson Beerman doesn't need to be in the game with a minute to go on a running clock when you are down by 40.

 

- Cook as mentioned did an admirable job kicking, but it does worry me that 2nd Team All-State K Austin Woolum only had one kickoff tonight (and it was a very Blah one at that). Woolum has been recovering from a leg injury and still started at CB, but he is a weapon Belfry needs in their arsenal with his leg. I am hoping this was a matter of Haywood knowing how this game was about to end up... but I do have to worry about him not kicking.

  • Author

Quote of the night:

balltweet.PNG

I'd love to catch a game at Belfry. I have never been to that stadium.

I can't wait until the Pirates work all the rust off and find the right mix of personnel, and I am serious. This is the first time the starters have all played as a unit so far this season and Belfry played a lot of different guys with the first team defense.

 

Belfry was just on another level than Tates Creek tonight. I don't know what to add to what ATL said, it was a dominating performance. Running clock at 8:00 in the 2nd quarter. Incredible.

I thougjt it strage TC kept the starters on aa long as they did.

 

Try this again. I thought it strange that TC left their starters in so long.

Try this again. I thought it strange that TC left their starters in so long.

 

For what it's worth, TC did replace their starting QB with a freshman (a true freshman...meaning 14 years old) at the end of the first quarter. His first varsity snap was the 80 yd TD to Beerman.

  • Author
For what it's worth, TC did replace their starting QB with a freshman (a true freshman...meaning 14 years old) at the end of the first quarter. His first varsity snap was the 80 yd TD to Beerman.

 

I am not sure the replacing of the QB had anything to do with subbing for the score and more to do with subbing to find production.

 

At that point Tates Creek may have had two first downs.

 

FWIW, the Freshman to me had the more accurate arm . He should be a nice player over the course of his career. Nice size

Is Belfry one of the top 5 teams in the state? Their OL is gigantic.

  • Author
Is Belfry one of the top 5 teams in the state? Their OL is gigantic.

 

IMHO they were one of Top 5 or very least Top 7 teams at the end of last year

 

They returned 9 starters each way from that team.

 

I am not sure anyone in KY has the Oline or Dline Belfry posesses as a collective unit. South Warren has a Dline that might match up, but that Belfry Oline is something you don't see often for a school their size

Try this again. I thought it strange that TC left their starters in so long.

 

I'd love to catch a game at Belfry. I have never been to that stadium.

 

It was my first trip there last night and it was a great experience. Though I would like to have seen TC make it a more competitive game I have to say it was worth the long trip from Lexington. The facilities are excellent, the fans and people from Belfry were humble and gracious and the football team is disciplined, model great sportsmanship and are just plain scary good. Awesome job by everyone involved.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.