Marshall County at Mayfield Predictions

Who Wins?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

6a Marshall County comes to 2a Mayfield Friday to see if they can knock off The Cardinals one last time before dropping us after this year. Heard rumor a few weeks ago that they wanted to drop Mayfield and not play us anymore and Coach Joe confirmed it on his radio show Sat morning after the Ft Campbell game.

I understand this game has been one sided over the years but I can't figure out why they would want to drop us especially when the 2 schools are 20 mins apart. Again, I understand Mayfield has won most of the contests but surely Marshall has taken something away from playing the better opponent. I'm not trying to beat up Marshall here at all. I think they have a good program and hopefully this coach will do good things with them. I was jus scratching my head as to why they won't out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be real, for certain they are tired of the beat-downs, but how can a school that size, be THAT BAD, every year? That's what baffles me!
Right......but I've always thought playing better competition makes you stronger and it could make you better.

Marshall actually dropped down to 5A in 2015. How I have no clue. Their enrollment didn't decline but figured when they can't win against small local schools why even play the bigger ones. Now they'd rather play Ballard Memorial & the Fulton's. If I'm not mistaken even Ballard beat them last year.

Marshall actually dropped down to 5A in 2015. How I have no clue. Their enrollment didn't decline but figured when they can't win against small local schools why even play the bigger ones. Now they'd rather play Ballard Memorial & the Fulton's. If I'm not mistaken even Ballard beat them last year.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I did not know Marshall dropped down to 5a.

Too many people get wrapped up in what class a team is in. I honestly only feel that it matters against maybe 5 or six teams in the entire state. Take DeSales for instance, there aren't many teams that we meet, actually there are no teams that we play that dress as many kids as we do. I'd say in the city of Louisville, Trinity, X, and Male are the only schools that dress more. I guess what i'm saying is the biggest thing in my opinion is the football culture that exists in the school. I'd fully expect Mayfield to beat most teams not named Trinity in this state. It's their culture. It's something that DeSales is trying to build. We have come a long way in the last 10 years.

Just doesn't make sense to me why Marshall County couldn't develop a program to compete against a school like McCracken. However, I do get why they don't want to play Mayfield anymore. If you are legitimately trying to build a football program, it is impossible with Big Brother 20 minutes away telling you you suck all the time. There are other teams doing this and it has worked for them. I hope it works for Marshall to at least get competitive and then maybe pick Mayfield back up.

Too many people get wrapped up in what class a team is in. I honestly only feel that it matters against maybe 5 or six teams in the entire state. Take DeSales for instance, there aren't many teams that we meet, actually there are no teams that we play that dress as many kids as we do. I'd say in the city of Louisville, Trinity, X, and Male are the only schools that dress more. I guess what i'm saying is the biggest thing in my opinion is the football culture that exists in the school. I'd fully expect Mayfield to beat most teams not named Trinity in this state. It's their culture. It's something that DeSales is trying to build. We have come a long way in the last 10 years.

I agree with you about the Culture, but in many cases, numbers can help tremendously, especially if few of your players are going both ways.

Slightly off topic, but does Mayfield struggle to complete their schedule like some other power schools? If Marshall is dropping, who is Mayfield replacing them with?

I would like to see them pick up CHRISTIAN County and Hopkinsville, those would be 2 really tuff games for us.

The Orange clad county Mounties will be heading West for the last time trying to serve up some warrants on Joe Morris over at his War Memorial hideout where Morris and his flock don't take kindly to anyone trying to enforce Marshall Law and will have War Memorial booby trapped. TP's Looser - Marshall County :ohbrother:

I agree with you about the Culture, but in many cases, numbers can help tremendously, especially if few of your players are going both ways.

I totally agree with you about the numbers. It helps a lot with practicing. I also think the culture helps with building your numbers. Look at Manual, 6A team, large enrollment, decent football pedigree, but has canceled their freshman team due to low numbers.. Meanwhile at DeSales we are dressing 36 freshman. One of the coaches told me that this is the best freshman class we have had at DeSales. Better than our back to back state championship teams. They do pass the look test.

Lets remember, Marshall used to have a damn fine football program. They ran the smashmouth veer and competed with and beat Mayfield some years. Im talking 90's era. It has gone downhill since then and like someone said above, they are more focused on soccer and basketball, they don't have a football culture. Graves is in the same boat, somewhat.

Slightly off topic, but does Mayfield struggle to complete their schedule like some other power schools? If Marshall is dropping, who is Mayfield replacing them with?

I would like to see them pick up CHRISTIAN County and Hopkinsville, those would be 2 really tuff games for us.

gchs, yes it is a struggle, we certainly do not like having to currently travel to Lindsey Wilson to play Corbin. A perfect opponent but the travel for all is tough on team, wallets and fans.

rookie's idea of picking up both Christian and Hoptown would be dangerous in my opinion. MF is successful against larger competition but at the end of the day the numbers are an issue that must be considered as we do not often have a back up that is as good as the starter. If you play to many elite level teams your risk of injury goes up and your future players see much less of the playing field. I can see adding maybe 1 elite but the other spot should be a good but not great team where the starters get out quickly. That is my opinion anyway. I would love to see if we can get #3, Union City, TN or #1, Dresden, TN on the schedule as both are 1 or 2A teams that are a half hour drives and both are highly ranked TN teams. There is also big school TN powerhouse Henry County that is 45 minutes away that might be a option.

We have built a great reputation in West TN over the decades and also have a tough time getting TN teams to play us.