Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why would you not allow a radio broadcast?

Featured Replies

Does the radio station call the school and ask permission? I've been broadcasting for years and I always call the school in question for permission, only been turned down twice. I've seen other stations just show up and expect to be given a spot. I don't think you would not be allowed to broadcast because of favortism to any given team. I think radio station management needs to do some PR with the other schools.

 

 

As someone who announces for both football and basketball I agree....you should always call ahead of time and let the school and AD that you are planning on announcing the game as it shows courtesy and respect. And I have yet to have anyone say do not come. Most times they are thrilled that someone will be announcing the games...especially if their school does not have a broadcast teams.

 

And ALL broadcasters should remember that these are kids playing a game...show respect and class as you are not only representing your radio station but are the an ambassador for your school that you are doing...and while it is fine to rout and pull for your team...don't be a cheerleader with a microphone and if the other team does something good compliment them because as much as we all want our teams to win...it is only just a game and these are just 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old young adults out there.

 

Well I will get off my soapbox...best of luck to all the teams this week and the rest of the season.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who announces for both football and basketball I agree....you should always call ahead of time and let the school and AD that you are planning on announcing the game as it shows courtesy and respect. And I have yet to have anyone say do not come. Most times they are thrilled that someone will be announcing the games...especially if their school does not have a broadcast teams.

 

And ALL broadcasters should remember that these are kids playing a game...show respect and class as you are not only representing your radio station but are the an ambassador for your school that you are doing...and while it is fine to rout and pull for your team...don't be a cheerleader with a microphone and if the other team does something good compliment them because as much as we all want our teams to win...it is only just a game and these are just 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old young adults out there.

 

Well I will get off my soapbox...best of luck to all the teams this week and the rest of the season.

 

Very Good Post! We always contact the host school. I especially like your comments about being an ambassador for the school we represent.

Having to listen? CovCath makes you listen to their broadcasting crew?

I have a suggestion, don't listen if they are so bad. Nobody is making you listen to the CovCath crew... Listen to your own schools broadcasting crew......

 

 

I agree completely. I find it funny reading threads with people giving game updates courtesy of the CovCath Broadcast Team and then complainging about the CovCath announcers. Either get over it or don't listen.

As Diogenes noted above, why are the public schools saying no to the pebbles, but okay to the rest of the private schools? If game attendance is the reason being used, then seemingly that same reasoning would be applied also to all the other private schools...but it's not. :confused:

Any answers?

Does the radio station call the school and ask permission? I've been broadcasting for years and I always call the school in question for permission, only been turned down twice. I've seen other stations just show up and expect to be given a spot. I don't think you would not be allowed to broadcast because of favortism to any given team. I think radio station management needs to do some PR with the other schools.

 

 

Whomever is in charge of the broadcast should ALWAYS call the AD at the school and ask permission...even offering the host school an interview on the radio broadcast works well.

Very Good Post! We always contact the host school. I especially like your comments about being an ambassador for the school we represent.

 

 

Thanks :thumb:

 

I wish that more radio stations would remember that one simple rule...we have some very good broadcast teams around...but then again there are some real "homers" that feel like their microphone makes them a glorified cheerleader...and I can think of a lot of PA announcers that would fall into that same category :madman:

Thanks :thumb:

 

I wish that more radio stations would remember that one simple rule...we have some very good broadcast teams around...but then again there are some real "homers" that feel like their microphone makes them a glorified cheerleader...and I can think of a lot of PA announcers that would fall into that same category :madman:

 

 

I will be the first to admit I get a little excited when doing radio, and I do think it is OK to get more excited for the team you are covering, but (there is always a "but") I do get very tired of "we", "us", "they", etc.

 

I have also been critical of officials when IMO the officiating is bad, however I always try to emphasize that it is not an easy job. Also, judgement calls are one thing, not knowing the rules and not being in position is another. With that said, I am going to turn over a new leaf and try not to critisize the officials and if I do point out something I think they did wrong then I have to say a least two things nice about the men in stripes. Voice, I would love to talk with you sometime, if interested PM me. I am always looking for fresh ideas.

Any answers?

 

No, but you seem somewhat knowledgeable about the program. Have you or your Trinity associates any ideas or speculations? To me , this is sort of a replay of last year's boycott controversy where public schools in Trinity's district would not play Trinity on any level but varsity, while DeSales, Holy Cross and X had a full schedule on all levels. That is what we not in the know are trying to determine- why do these things only happen to Trinity? I invite you or other Trinity fans to enlighten us. For many of us, it truly is a mystery.

I agree completely. I find it funny reading threads with people giving game updates courtesy of the CovCath Broadcast Team and then complainging about the CovCath announcers. Either get over it or don't listen.

I disagree. Not all schools are able to broadcast, so if you want to listen to your team (who happens to be playing CCH) I dont think those people want to hear two "professionals" scream and yell like they just won the state championship when the kickoff goes for a touchback. I am not saying dont root for your team and dont get excited, but those guys get a little too carried away....and I like CovCath.

I disagree. Not all schools are able to broadcast, so if you want to listen to your team (who happens to be playing CCH) I dont think those people want to hear two "professionals" scream and yell like they just won the state championship when the kickoff goes for a touchback. I am not saying dont root for your team and dont get excited, but those guys get a little too carried away....and I like CovCath.

 

My question is, Why can't other schools do what CovCath does? You do realize that both Mark and J-man do it for nothing, and that the CovCath boosters pay for the cost of the broadcast. There is no reason at all, why other schools couldn't do the same thing. The difference is that no one at the other schools can find someone who wants to do the work that it takes nor has thick enough skin to take the flack from people like you. Sitting behind that mike announcing the game I am sure is a lot harder than it looks........

I for one know that Trinity's broadcast team does an excellent job. Every year, they invite opposing schools A.D's, principals, etc to come on the air during halftime to talk about thier respective school, they never down anyone from the other schools, and for the most part, call the games right down the middle. It seems to me that it schools who ban our radio team are doing it to spite us. It doesn't effect gate sales at all, its done totally out of disrespect, at least IMO

Can someone please enlighten me as to why a chance at a radio broadcast of your schools game would be nixed? I saw in a post where Seneca is the only public school allowing the broadcast of the game vs. Trinity. Why on earth would the others not welcome such? Is this a crybaby tactic against Trinity? Is it thought that folks won't come out to the game if on the radio? I really would like to hear both sides of this.

 

Just noticed this thread, and surely you're mistaken. If "blackouts" are truly on the HS level, somebody needs to stop that immediately. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I could broadcast the game from the stands on a CB if I had FCC approval to operate, but maybe the rules are different with private schools and private property, vs. public schools and taxpayer facilities. Maybe we can get a few "good buddies" and hide behind some big fat cat Trinity supporter, and get out "loud and clear". 10-4? Go 'head.

We (Brossart) will be in our fourth year of doing internet broadcasts of as many of our Mustangs basketball games as is possible.

 

Over these years I have always contacted the opponent's A.D. and obtained permission to broadcast the game and always offer them the broadcast link for promotion to their fans. During one recent Brossart-Pendleton County game, I'm sure that we had more Wildcat listeners than Mustang fans.

 

We operate only two man crews and if I brought my wife and all of my kids, there would still only be two of us - lol!

 

I also try not to be overly biased. I realize that it is our broadcast on our nickle, but attempt to paint a true and accurate picture with a normal amount of bias about our kids and of course the officiating. ;)

It boils down to being professional and producing a professional product.

 

I've done some broadcast work of Campbell County Football games for NKY Sports at Bob Miller Stadium and they have a great arrangement there that can easily accomodate two radio crews.

 

I've never been turned down and in most cases have been warmly welcomed. We are certainly not Trinity, and perhaps some schools feel like they are being one-upped by them.

 

Another consideration could be that when we did our first broadcasts over the internet in December of 2003 we were pioneers, now quite a few schools, particularly the larger ones provide the service and the local radio stations continue to produce play by play. I know that at a recent CovCath game, we, CovCath, and WTSJ all broadcast the same game from the same venue.

 

I hope that they are able to work out their differences.

I wonder what the average margin of victory was in the games that Trinity was denied broadcast rights? I wonder if there is a connection?

I would not allow broadcasts .....just to cut my nose off ,to spite my face!

 

 

That's what it boils down to......why would you cheat members of your school out of this opportunity.....I am sure several players have grandparents...that can't get to the game....relatives overseas...who could listen via the internet.....etc....

 

Why punish your players to carry out some goofy agenda? ....Who's the kids really?...the players or these so-called adults running the show?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.