Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why would you not allow a radio broadcast?

Featured Replies

I am no expert on the situation but looking at Trinity's schedule and assuming if Seneca is the only one they can broadcast then Eastern and Ballard are two teams that won't allow them to do it? Am I right so far?

 

I would then say if those are two of the three schools (Southern the other) then the simple answer is goofy administration. Eastern principal Jim Sexton, well that speaks for itself. And Ballard can't let Eastern get a leg up on them in anything, so they just do it to follow. Both very nasty! But as far as Southern, I don't know because they hardly ever play Trinity in anything else.

 

But if I were a parent from one of those schools I would be upset because that's airtime for my kid to get his name out there!

  • Replies 44
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I could broadcast the game from the stands on a CB if I had FCC approval to operate, but maybe the rules are different with private schools and private property, vs. public schools and taxpayer facilities. Maybe we can get a few "good buddies" and hide behind some big fat cat Trinity supporter, and get out "loud and clear". 10-4? Go 'head.

There's no KHSAA rule that specifically covers radio broadcasts at regular-season games, and sadly, I've looked for this before. There are rules covering videotaping that say a TV station, cable company, etc., must get permission of the event manager (usually a principal or AD) and that said manager has the right to charge what is essentially a rights fee to offset perceived lost ticket revenue. Another item elsewhere in the rules says the event manager has essentially the same controls at tournaments and playoffs for radio and TV, so I think KHSAA would interpret that the designated person would have those controls for regular-season games too.

Now we know. Thanks for the research/knowledge, "good buddy".

Having to listen? CovCath makes you listen to their broadcasting crew?

I have a suggestion, don't listen if they are so bad. Nobody is making you listen to the CovCath crew... Listen to your own schools broadcasting crew......

 

 

I'm talking about the guys on the radio. I"m sure the Covcath network crew is even worse. That's understandable, it's their network. I'm referring to the guys getting paid that are supposed to be unbiased.

Lack of space is a big issue, and the attitude of the radio crews. They have to remember that they are guests at that school. Take what space is offered not more, and only the ablsolute necesary people go in the box, The color guys wife, the other guys kids and the 10-12 people that just want to say hi can all do it outside the box. Rain games aren't excuse to let everyone you know in the box. This isn't just an issue with radio crew but any extra game staffers.

The worst experience I've had with this was when I was with Satori at Atherton, it's starts raining during halftime and our own team doc barges in the box with his wife and 3 kids and his wife sits down in my seat and lays her dripping wet umbrella on my open and running stats laptop. I had to restrain myself from stangling her, luckily me grabbing her umbrella throwing on the floor and glaring at her was enough to get them all out of the box.

 

 

Why am I not shocked you posted this? :lol: :p

Lack of space is a big issue, and the attitude of the radio crews. They have to remember that they are guests at that school. Take what space is offered not more, and only the ablsolute necesary people go in the box, The color guys wife, the other guys kids and the 10-12 people that just want to say hi can all do it outside the box. Rain games aren't excuse to let everyone you know in the box. This isn't just an issue with radio crew but any extra game staffers.

The worst experience I've had with this was when I was with Satori at Atherton, it's starts raining during halftime and our own team doc barges in the box with his wife and 3 kids and his wife sits down in my seat and lays her dripping wet umbrella on my open and running stats laptop. I had to restrain myself from stangling her, luckily me grabbing her umbrella throwing on the floor and glaring at her was enough to get them all out of the box.

 

That post must have made a little too much sense! Why is it there has to be a "conspiracy theory" against all that some try to do. There are some logical explanations at times. When an opposing team is told there is "no room in the press box" for two coaches on headsets but there IS enough room

for 10-12 non-essential personnel for a radio broadcast. Makes little sense to me in light of not allowing "essential" personnel in to do their jobs for kids on the opposing team. There are far too many times when coaches are not allowed into the confines of a "press" box to do a good job for their players. I have been at games when there is PLENTY of room but the ADs at certain schools just do not allow for the staff of another team. They seem to be the same ones appalled at being denied access to our press box when they come to our stadium. Some even get ticked off when they are not allowed to set up cameras to do 2-3 angles from various locations. Seems odd they have all that technology yet they trade a game video that you cannot even see.

 

I wonder who will take this the wrong way!!! HMMM.

I'm talking about the guys on the radio. I"m sure the Covcath network crew is even worse. That's understandable, it's their network. I'm referring to the guys getting paid that are supposed to be unbiased.

 

Sorry.... The guys on the Radio? As far as I know, CovCath has nothing to do with those guys. They do a lot of high school games, and in fact I think they will be doing the Highlands vs Conner game Friday night. Never have listen to them, as if I am not at the game, I listen in to the CovCath Internet Radio crew.....

There's no KHSAA rule that specifically covers radio broadcasts at regular-season games, and sadly, I've looked for this before. There are rules covering videotaping that say a TV station, cable company, etc., must get permission of the event manager (usually a principal or AD) and that said manager has the right to charge what is essentially a rights fee to offset perceived lost ticket revenue. Another item elsewhere in the rules says the event manager has essentially the same controls at tournaments and playoffs for radio and TV, so I think KHSAA would interpret that the designated person would have those controls for regular-season games too.

 

I am not sure that the price of admission grants one the right to broadcast a description of the game. It is a gray area because most high schools do not protect/enforce their "rights" relative to broadcasting that I believe they own.

 

Anyway, I started a bowl game that is still in existence. I got it off the ground by committing to pay $8,000 per year for the first three years. The school entered into an agreement with me that, among other things, gave me exclusive tv and radio rights. After I made my $8,000 back, I was going to give the balance to the school.

 

The first season, one of my radio competitors, with a station 6 miles from mine that covered one of the local teams, asked for permission to broadcast the game involving their team. I told them that I had invested a substantial amount of money and that if they would pay the host school's booster club $150.00 that I would grant them the rights. They balked and an uproar ensued.

 

Keep in mind that this station was a johnny-come-lately. They came on the air in 1988. We had been broadcasting their school's games on a split schedule since 1961. The school that they covered took it personally and said that we would not be allowed to broadcast any games from their school. It was ridiculous. That station made at least $1,000 on a game and they refused to pay $150. That kind of crap gives all broadcasters a bad name. Since that time, the station jumped ship to a much more successful team that lost their station to a sale. So much for loyalty to your commuinity of license.

 

In the 40 years that we have owned the stations, we have never been denied permission to broadcast games from anywhere. It helped to be in an area of the state where most other schools had radio coverage, too. Then, it was a quid pro quo between the stations and schools.

 

That's my rant for the day.

The broadcast refusals generally come from the same schools who refuse to play JV and Frosh games. St. X's district is much more at ease with their football prowess. PRP, Butler, Male and Manual see it as a positive. Fern Creek allows St. X because their AD is an X alumnus. Eastern's AD is still upset he didn't become head basketball coach at Trinity back in the day.....Ballard hates to lose and Seneca also sees it as a way to "hurt" the Rocks. Yes, it is a conspiracy. Albeit, a small one. The space is not the issue at Eastern (newly renovated stadium). Ballard has plenty of space. The same stunts have been pulled in the past as far as filming or disallowing coaches in the "Press Box" at all. Just another reason I'm thrilled to have only a four team district next year. Jealousy, pettiness, simple disdain for Coach Beatty and Coach Lampley.....these are the reasons. It's the only way certain schools can aggravate Trinity.

The broadcast refusals generally come from the same schools who refuse to play JV and Frosh games. St. X's district is much more at ease with their football prowess. PRP, Butler, Male and Manual see it as a positive. Fern Creek allows St. X because their AD is an X alumnus. Eastern's AD is still upset he didn't become head basketball coach at Trinity back in the day.....Ballard hates to lose and Seneca also sees it as a way to "hurt" the Rocks. Yes, it is a conspiracy. Albeit, a small one. The space is not the issue at Eastern (newly renovated stadium). Ballard has plenty of space. The same stunts have been pulled in the past as far as filming or disallowing coaches in the "Press Box" at all. Just another reason I'm thrilled to have only a four team district next year. Jealousy, pettiness, simple disdain for Coach Beatty and Coach Lampley.....these are the reasons. It's the only way certain schools can aggravate Trinity.

This seems like the best explanation.

No, but you seem somewhat knowledgeable about the program. Have you or your Trinity associates any ideas or speculations? To me , this is sort of a replay of last year's boycott controversy where public schools in Trinity's district would not play Trinity on any level but varsity, while DeSales, Holy Cross and X had a full schedule on all levels. That is what we not in the know are trying to determine- why do these things only happen to Trinity? I invite you or other Trinity fans to enlighten us. For many of us, it truly is a mystery.

My best guess is that Trinity was the best Catholic/Private football program at the time the Anti-Private sentiment began to take root. Additionally, Eastern's principal has no love lost for Trinity. Once again, this is just speculation, but if the Anti-Private uprising began in the mid late 90's (X's successful years) it may be different.

 

I'll be anxious to see this year if X's radio team has any "space issues" develop on road games.

My best guess is that Trinity was the best Catholic/Private football program at the time the Anti-Private sentiment began to take root. Additionally, Eastern's principal has no love lost for Trinity. Once again, this is just speculation, but if the Anti-Private uprising began in the mid late 90's (X's successful years) it may be different.

 

I'll be anxious to see this year if X's radio team has any "space issues" develop on road games.

 

 

Thanks for the update. Who knows, you could be right. It may be the "Eastern no love lost" angle. If so, what is the genesis of that spat?

 

Perhaps all BGPers can keep us abreast of any developing "space issues" this season.

The broadcast refusals generally come from the same schools who refuse to play JV and Frosh games. St. X's district is much more at ease with their football prowess. PRP, Butler, Male and Manual see it as a positive. Fern Creek allows St. X because their AD is an X alumnus. Eastern's AD is still upset he didn't become head basketball coach at Trinity back in the day.....Ballard hates to lose and Seneca also sees it as a way to "hurt" the Rocks. Yes, it is a conspiracy. Albeit, a small one. The space is not the issue at Eastern (newly renovated stadium). Ballard has plenty of space. The same stunts have been pulled in the past as far as filming or disallowing coaches in the "Press Box" at all. Just another reason I'm thrilled to have only a four team district next year. Jealousy, pettiness, simple disdain for Coach Beatty and Coach Lampley.....these are the reasons. It's the only way certain schools can aggravate Trinity.

 

 

This post is pretty much dead on.

My best guess is that Trinity was the best Catholic/Private football program at the time the Anti-Private sentiment began to take root. Additionally, Eastern's principal has no love lost for Trinity. Once again, this is just speculation, but if the Anti-Private uprising began in the mid late 90's (X's successful years) it may be different.

 

I'll be anxious to see this year if X's radio team has any "space issues" develop on road games.

 

 

I doubt it....

They don't really have to many road games this year :lol:

I doubt it....

They don't really have to many road games this year :lol:

:lol: We might have one or two.....:rolleyes:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.