Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would you rather take a guaranteed $100k or a 50/50 chance at $1 million?

$100k guaranteed or 50/50 chance at $1 million? 47 members have voted

  1. 1. $100k guaranteed or 50/50 chance at $1 million?

    • Guaranteed $100,000
      44%
    • 50/50 chance at $1 million
      55%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I'd take that 100K and add it to my pile and it would grow.

 

That's not even a years salary for a DDS, gotta role the dice!

  • Replies 53
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be curious to see what amount it would take for those that said take the $100k to roll the dice

I'd do the $1M at 25% chance

 

1/4 is a lot different than 1/2.

While I am indeed a gambler, I would have to take the guaranteed cash. Would pay off student loans, get my car situation taken care of, and give me some to either put toward a house or starting a business. I could always "let it ride" with some of it at the track and try to make my million that way. I could enjoy that.

I wish I could be like some of you and say (basically) 100K isn't anything if you have a chance at a million. For ME, even 100K would be life changing. By that, I mean, I'd not have to worry about finances again. I'd have to keep working, yeah..But I don't mind that. Just knowing I owed no one or owed very little would be a huge weight off my mind.

 

It certainly isn't anything to sniff at. But getting 10-1 odds on a coin flip is like seeing a unicorn prancing down a rainbow. If such a thing existed Las Vegas would just be another patch of sand on your way to Los Angeles.

I take the 100k no doubt about it. Pay off the student loans. Nice down payment on a new home and still have a decent chunk left over.

I don't really see this as an either/or .......at least mathematically. What difference does it make what the gap is between the amount you are guaranteed or the amount you could get on a coin flip. You are not getting ten to one odds on a coin flip, you have 1 in 2 odds on that flip, the other amount (the amount that was given up) doesn't affect the coin flip odds.

 

I think the better way to process this is to say would you PAY 100K out of your pocket for the opportunity to flip a coin for a million dollars?

10% ROI? I might fire my guy and meet with you.

 

I don't do a lot of trading which has led to some success. I stick with stocks I think (and pros think) are long-term holds.

 

My challenge now is that some of the stocks that fueled strong ROI have plateaued. Do I keep them and wait for a resurgence? Not sure.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.