Scotty McCoy steps down at Magoffin County

Coach McCoy resigns as the HC at Magoffin County to join the coaching staff at Lawrence County. The 2 teams were scheduled to scrimmage tonight but that has been canceled in "interest of both schools" per Lawrence County coach Alan Short. Coach McCoy led the Hornets to their first playoff win and District title in 2014.

My question is to the timing of this move........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm just still sitting here shaking my head. I realize a guy has to look out for number one, but this is pretty classless, leaving your job as head coach of a football program 8 days before the first day of the season.

The only possible way this would make sense is if he wasn't hired as a teacher at Magoffin and Lawrence did hire him as a teacher.

Man, I'm just still sitting here shaking my head. I realize a guy has to look out for number one, but this is pretty classless, leaving your job as head coach of a football program 8 days before the first day of the season.

I'll reserve on calling it classless until I hear more details, but I'm certainly intrigued...

I have been recently informed that the backdrop to this move is as followed;

Coach McCoy's wife's job was cut in the Spring @ Magoffin. A job was posted recently. She applied for the position that she apparently was qualified for but someone else was hired. Word has it, McCoy was upset and said, "screw it" and left abruptly.

Even though I have posted the supposed reason for the resignation, I still feel so badly for the kids. I also understand how much coaches sacrifice for their teams and for the schools they coach. This situation just doesn't have a good feel, no matter which side you look at.

Does McCoy teach at Magoffin? If so, that's a rough ride to work everyday knowing what he did to those kids.

No. Well, he did...he's resigning that position, too from what I'm hearing and taking a teaching job in a nearby district (just teaching, not coaching).