Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Michael Jordan

Featured Replies

So breaking from his normal silence on political issues, Jordan just came out and gave what I thought was a well thought statement. He's donating 1 million to the NAACP defense fund and 1 million dollars to a Community police out reach fund. I'm trying to find the full text , everything I've found has been excerpts.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is allegedly his full statement:

 

Michael Jordan: ‘I can no longer stay silent’ — The Undefeated

 

As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well.

 

I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported.

 

Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change.

To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.

We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.

  • Author

Espn and the undefeated are taking a lot of heat on twitter right now. All their tweets and headlines right now are taking one excerpt and making Jordan sound like he came out against cops. When he donated to groups on both sides and called for an end of violence.

 

Shady headlines by ESPN.

Espn and the undefeated are taking a lot of heat on twitter right now. All their tweets and headlines right now are taking one excerpt and making Jordan sound like he came out against cops. When he donated to groups on both sides and called for an end of violence.

 

Shady headlines by ESPN.

 

Everything I saw on Twitter made it look like he was donating to both parties.

  • Author
Everything I saw on Twitter made it look like he was donating to both parties.

 

Read the undefeateds Wesley Lowery tweets. With the dumb comments that followed. ESPN intial tweets were similar leaving out the comments he made about police being shot as well.

 

On TV they did a better job.

Everything I saw on Twitter made it look like he was donating to both parties.

 

Agree. It was pretty apparent to me from the get go he donated to both sides.

Surprising by Jordan. Hope it resonates.

As long as he's not donating to Black Lives Matter.

  • Author

I didn't say everybody The undefeated was clearly pushing one part of Jordans tweets when the stament was first released and it caused unneeded backlash. The TV portion of ESPN has given proper headlines all day.

Besides the very nice donation what's the story here ? I read a statement saying respect officers and respect lives of innocent black men. Who disagrees with that?

 

The only story besides the donation is that MJ made a statement at all.

  • Author
Besides the very nice donation what's the story here ? I read a statement saying respect officers and respect lives of innocent black men. Who disagrees with that?

 

The only story besides the donation is that MJ made a statement at all.

 

MJ is man respected by people of all colors and my take away was people from all sides take a step back and let's have cooler heads prevail.

 

We are all caught up whether it's me or you on who is right . Not enough people are talking about how move forward.

The only story besides the donation is that MJ made a statement at all.
To me that's the story here. MJ is notoriously silent on any semi-political issue.
To me that's the story here. MJ is notoriously silent on any semi-political issue.

 

As a leading BGP cynic let me say this is a bunch of nothing other than a nice financial gesture. PR?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.