Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cops leave security post at WNBA game over players' warmup shirts

Featured Replies

Minneapolis police leave security posts at Minnesota Lynx game over protest shirts

 

 

From the article:

 

 

 

When members of the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx wore T-shirts with the message of seeking change following the deaths of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, who were both fatally shot by police officers last week, they weren't the only group taking action Saturday.

Four off-duty Minneapolis police officers who were working security for Saturday's Lynx game elected to leave their posts at Target Center in response to the players' stance.

"I commend them for it," said Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Minneapolis Police Federation, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as they are off-duty I'm cool with it.

So if 4 cops left the game, who stayed to watch the game?

  • Author
As long as they are off-duty I'm cool with it.

 

I'm still debating how I feel about it. I get it and understand how they feel and if they don't have to work the games then that is their choice and I respect that. I do wonder how they would feel if something happened at a game they refused to work because of some warmup shirts and some young kids were seriously injured or killed because there wasn't any security there for protection.

As long as they are off-duty I'm cool with it.

 

I'm not. They agreed to the off duty assignment and they left their posts. These four shouldn't be allowed to sign up for off duty assignments ever again, that should at least happen.

 

I'm not sure of Minneapolis, but Cincy officers get about $37 per hour for off duty assignments, at least that's the rate for such events as Bengal games and working off duty at the casino. Many officers work as many off duty assignments as they can, as you can see, the pay is very good! So these four signed up, leaving others out of this assignment. Also, in today's world, as we all know its dangerous, this event would be considered as a soft target. These four left their job and not only left open the players to possible harm, but also the fans and everyone else in attendance.

 

I didn't find the shirts to be controversial, they could have been a lot worse. But if an LEO accepts an assignment they should finish that assignment, they can have their say after the event, make their complaints, and then decide to never work that assignment again.

 

I didn't see where they were supposed to have been stationed at the game, but the more security the better! What if? What if something happened as a result of them walking out?

 

I have been saying this for a couple of years, just wait, just wait, sadly the day is coming where there will be a tragic event at a sporting event in the U.S., the target is too large to be ignored by the bad guys, and those who are working security at these events will determine if there will be any lose of life, or will prevent it from being worse. Look at what happened in Parks last autumn, one suicide bomber was stopped by security at a gate or checkpoint, he was denied entry, had he gotten in the deaths at that stadium would have been worse.

  • Author
So if 4 cops left the game, who stayed to watch the game?

 

I feel bad for laughing but when I saw the story I knew there was going to be a funny WNBA joke served up. :lol2:

  • Author
I'm not. They agreed to the off duty assignment and they left their posts. These four shouldn't be allowed to sign up for off duty assignments ever again, that should at least happen.

 

I'm not sure of Minneapolis, but Cincy officers get about $37 per hour for off duty assignments, at least that's the rate for such events as Bengal games and working off duty at the casino. Many officers work as many off duty assignments as they can, as you can see, the pay is very good! So these four signed up, leaving others out of this assignment. Also, in today's world, as we all know its dangerous, this event would be considered as a soft target. These four left their job and not only left open the players to possible harm, but also the fans and everyone else in attendance.

 

I didn't find the shirts to be controversial, they could have been a lot worse. But if an LEO accepts an assignment they should finish that assignment, they can have their say after the event, make their complaints, and then decide to never work that assignment again.

 

I didn't see where they were supposed to have been stationed at the game, but the more security the better! What if? What if something happened as a result of them walking out?

 

I have been saying this for a couple of years, just wait, just wait, sadly the day is coming where there will be a tragic event at a sporting event in the U.S., the target is too large to be ignored by the bad guys, and those who are working security at these events will determine if there will be any lose of life, or will prevent it from being worse. Look at what happened in Parks last autumn, one suicide bomber was stopped by security at a gate or checkpoint, he was denied entry, had he gotten in the deaths at that stadium would have been worse.

 

Good points.

Pretty weak if you ask me.

I'm not. They agreed to the off duty assignment and they left their posts. These four shouldn't be allowed to sign up for off duty assignments ever again, that should at least happen.

 

I'm not sure of Minneapolis, but Cincy officers get about $37 per hour for off duty assignments, at least that's the rate for such events as Bengal games and working off duty at the casino. Many officers work as many off duty assignments as they can, as you can see, the pay is very good! So these four signed up, leaving others out of this assignment. Also, in today's world, as we all know its dangerous, this event would be considered as a soft target. These four left their job and not only left open the players to possible harm, but also the fans and everyone else in attendance.

 

I didn't find the shirts to be controversial, they could have been a lot worse. But if an LEO accepts an assignment they should finish that assignment, they can have their say after the event, make their complaints, and then decide to never work that assignment again.

 

I didn't see where they were supposed to have been stationed at the game, but the more security the better! What if? What if something happened as a result of them walking out?

 

I have been saying this for a couple of years, just wait, just wait, sadly the day is coming where there will be a tragic event at a sporting event in the U.S., the target is too large to be ignored by the bad guys, and those who are working security at these events will determine if there will be any lose of life, or will prevent it from being worse. Look at what happened in Parks last autumn, one suicide bomber was stopped by security at a gate or checkpoint, he was denied entry, had he gotten in the deaths at that stadium would have been worse.

 

Front of the shirt, no problem....the back of the shirt, an absolute problem. The BLM has been incendiary toward the police and called for them to be assassinated.

 

It's ridiculous that an "alleged" professional sports team would allow themselves to be used by a domestic terrorist group as publicity so if these guys are not on duty for the city and want to walk, so be it.

 

In no way should this be condoned. Shame on the Minnesota Lynx for allowing their players to get down on this level and promote a group that promotes violence toward police officers.....

 

Seriously....this is part of the problem. Nobody thinks it through or considers how the message can impact a greater population. If something had happened, then the Minnesota Lynx organization would have to accept some culpability in allowing the message.....

As long as they are off-duty I'm cool with it.

 

I'm with you, but if they were in uniform or otherwise identifiable as police officers (as opposed to typical security) I would be less so.

Front of the shirt, no problem....the back of the shirt, an absolute problem. The BLM has been incendiary toward the police and called for them to be assassinated.

 

It's ridiculous that an "alleged" professional sports team would allow themselves to be used by a domestic terrorist group as publicity so if these guys are not on duty for the city and want to walk, so be it.

 

In no way should this be condoned. Shame on the Minnesota Lynx for allowing their players to get down on this level and promote a group that promotes violence toward police officers.....

 

Seriously....this is part of the problem. Nobody thinks it through or considers how the message can impact a greater population. If something had happened, then the Minnesota Lynx organization would have to accept some culpability in allowing the message.....

 

BLM is a domestic terror group now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BLM is a domestic terror group now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Absolutely. When an organization, with defined leadership, calls for any act of violence against any other group, within the borders of our country....by definition, they are a domestic terror group. What's humorous about that ? It's just factual

 

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

 

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

 

FBI — Terrorism Definition

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.