June 2, 201610 yr #UKFans Cal has won 4 of 7 SEC tournaments since he came to UK. Including this season when they beat Texas A&M and received a 4 seed and Texas A&M received a 3 seed. :lol2: The point Cal is making is that the conference tournaments at the end of the year are pointless if they don't help your seeding out any. Why play it is the question he is asking. I think it is a very legitimate question. Hoping my sarcasm didn't get lost when you read my previous post. To add, besides the NIT season, the other two years they lost in the finals of the SEC tournament (both of those seasons making the NCAA finals, winning one). I completely understand his point. From a power conference perspective it makes sense if the pre-conference season tournament guarantees teams 3 or 4 extra games they wouldn't normally get. Teams that advance further in conference tournaments often get NCAA tournament bolstering points for getting more games. Now that would widen the gap even more with mid-majors, so in that sense it would suck.
June 2, 201610 yr Author Hoping my sarcasm didn't get lost when you read my previous post. To add, besides the NIT season, the other two years they lost in the finals of the SEC tournament (both of those seasons making the NCAA finals, winning one). I completely understand his point. From a power conference perspective it makes sense if the pre-conference season tournament guarantees teams 3 or 4 extra games they wouldn't normally get. Teams that advance further in conference tournaments often get NCAA tournament bolstering points for getting more games. Now that would widen the gap even more with mid-majors, so in that sense it would suck. I had a feeling it was sarcasm. I got a little worried for a second. :lol2:
June 2, 201610 yr The solution is much easier than Cry Baby Cal is suggesting. You want your conference tournament to matter? Get it done before Sunday. Problem solved.
June 2, 201610 yr The solution is much easier than Cry Baby Cal is suggesting. You want your conference tournament to matter? Get it done before Sunday. Problem solved. The conference tournaments matter in situations where 1) the auto-bid is likely the only bid your league gets and 2) where there are several good teams in the league and the outcome of a game starting in the quarterfinals is actually in doubt. The SEC tournament really suffers most from having little genuine competition before the championship game. And yeah, having it finish on Sunday is less than optimal. The bracket's done by that point.
June 2, 201610 yr The solution is much easier than Cry Baby Cal is suggesting. You want your conference tournament to matter? Get it done before Sunday. Problem solved. His comments yesterday were crying? Didn't see it that way at all in my blue glasses.
June 2, 201610 yr His comments yesterday were crying? Didn't see it that way at all in my blue glasses. It's always something with him.
June 2, 201610 yr It's always something with him. Yeah, how dare Cal give an interview at the SEC Spring Meetings.
June 2, 201610 yr Yeah, how dare Cal give an interview at the SEC Spring Meetings. I mean, who does he think he is?
June 2, 201610 yr Author I do think Cal is whining but I also like what he is saying. What is the point of the conference tournament if the winner is seemingly punished in the seeding? I don't buy the bracket is done by Sunday and to move the championship to Saturday. It wasn't until recently the ACC tournament moved its final to Saturdays and for a long time the finals on Sundays mattered until recently. They don't release the bracket until Sunday evening so they have plenty of time to adjust when needed. That's the committee being lazy. They need to do their job. I don't think anyone will give his idea support but I like it.
June 2, 201610 yr It's always something with him. Yeah for sure, but that's also why I think he'd do well as a Vice President of Marketing in a Fortune 100 company. Always out in front of things and even if his ideas are off the wall, ESPN is talking about Coach Cal, Kentucky Basketball, and the SEC in the first week of June. No downside.
June 2, 201610 yr I don't buy the bracket is done by Sunday and to move the championship to Saturday. It wasn't until recently the ACC tournament moved its final to Saturdays and for a long time the finals on Sundays mattered until recently. They don't release the bracket until Sunday evening so they have plenty of time to adjust when needed. That's the committee being lazy. They need to do their job. I don't think anyone will give his idea support but I like it. Completely agree.
June 2, 201610 yr Yeah for sure, but that's also why I think he'd do well as a Vice President of Marketing in a Fortune 100 company. Always out in front of things and even if his ideas are off the wall, ESPN is talking about Coach Cal, Kentucky Basketball, and the SEC in the first week of June. No downside. Cal is the perfect coach for the UK fan base. That is for certain.
June 2, 201610 yr Cal is the perfect coach for the UK fan base. That is for certain. I can feel the hate. :walk:
June 2, 201610 yr I can feel the hate. :walk: I disliked Cal way before he got to UK. Don't flatter yourselves. :lol2:
June 2, 201610 yr Cal is the perfect coach for the UK fan base. That is for certain. If he had a neck tattoo and/or chin strips, he'd probably be perfect for Louisville too lol just kidding. You are right, he is definitely the perfect coach for the UK fan base. It'll be difficult to be the one following him I think.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.