Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Tournament

Featured Replies

How did that go ? (and I will assume that Villa's baseball field meets the District requirements, which are very similar to the Region requirements) but their softball field does not ?

 

Didn't we see this play out at Beechwood already ?

 

Well for one, I don't think their baseball field met district requirements. Two, I'll withhold comment on how I think the rest went as I wasn't involved in any of the talks.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the fence distance at St Henry?

KHSAA is pretty clear about field requirements.

 

Require the minimum fence distance to all fields

be 185 feet. Such linear distance can be

compensated by fence height.

Recommend the maximum fence distance to be

235 feet.

 

Page not found | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

 

 

They forgot one:

 

REQUIRE: The fastpitch state tournament is played on fields where a temporary fence is not necessary to meet the above specifications.

So the two teams that play Monday get an extra day before the semi's ? How will it be determined who gets the extra day off ? Seeding or blind draw ?

 

Hasn't it historically been first round on Memorial Day ?

 

Also don't understand why even if it's your "turn" to host Region, that you get to host even if you don't have regulation facilities. I assume that St Henry field meets Regional regulations ? (I don't know, just asking)

 

Not too many regs. Fence minimum is 185. Definitely no problem here. Re intended max is 235. They say it's 230 but it seems further but probably right. The only thing that may be an issue is you have to have a minimum of seating for 200 between the dugouts

Come on. It is not Villa's fault on this. Obviously it is a problem at NKU hosting anything on Monday I would guess. What is the big deal with two played on Monday and then 2 on Tuesday? This is Softball where they play multiple games in one day at state tourney. Assuming it is Villa's fault because they stepped up to host is very short sided by some on here. Everything is fair. The impartial draw will determine what day you play and where. St Henry has a nice facility for Softball. If coaches have a problem with it they should have figured it out long before now. Basketball draw is same way. Some play on back to back days some have a day off. This isn't baseball

Come on. It is not Villa's fault on this. Obviously it is a problem at NKU hosting anything on Monday I would guess. What is the big deal with two played on Monday and then 2 on Tuesday? This is Softball where they play multiple games in one day at state tourney. Assuming it is Villa's fault because they stepped up to host is very short sided by some on here. Everything is fair. The impartial draw will determine what day you play and where. St Henry has a nice facility for Softball. If coaches have a problem with it they should have figured it out long before now. Basketball draw is same way. Some play on back to back days some have a day off. This isn't baseball

 

Who blamed Villa ? Just asked why if your site doesn't meet the requirements, you can host at an alternate site. What typically happens in these situations is that you get use of the field, but limited use of all the other facilities. (See post #3)

 

NKU has been able to work this out prior, but not this year.

 

Asking if an AD has ever hosted a Region before is a legitimate question, in particular in this case since they are not home hosting. The coordination is a much greater deal and you have limited leverage to get all the pieces put in place.

 

As for coaches figuring out if they have a problem with St Henry facility...the answer to that is "yes" I believe. (See post # 9)

 

Having all your first round games on one day is fair, having an extra day for 2 teams could mean the difference between going to Owensboro or not.

 

Overall it appears that the site approval for 9th Region has far less participation and interaction than the 10th Region site approval plans....maybe that's part of the issue ?

 

 

10.jpg

9.jpg

Again 9th region coaches need to get together and draw up a new plan. It falls on their shoulders. What schools in the 9th can legitimately host a regional tournament? I would say it is a very short list. And are those schools willing to do it?

One solution is to have the district winners host a first round game on Monday and then have the semi finals and finals at one location. That way you give a bigger incentive and reward for being district champ and host school only has to host three games.

Last time we measured im thinking we had it at 225 to left, 235 to center and 230 to right. I'll measure again tomorrow.

 

I know Villa's is longer to all fields than ours.

Regardless of where they end up playing them, I'll take first stab at match ups now that we have the contenders:

 

HHS v St Henry

Notre Dame v Boone

Ryle v Holy Cross

Dixie v NCC

I just have a feeling that HHS will get the toughest draw and will have to earn a trip south. They are clearly the #1 seed based on season and having the best pitcher in the region with Spencer but..... They are beatable because they do not score a lot of runs and/ or put teams away. Ryle would be my #2 seed and are playing well late in season.

In my matchup scenario, I think most of these games could be interesting. St Henry has been my sleeper all yr. Play ball! Somewhere......anywhere

Last time we measured im thinking we had it at 225 to left, 235 to center and 230 to right. I'll measure again tomorrow.

 

I know Villa's is longer to all fields than ours.

If that's true, what's the issue with St H as venue?

If that's true, what's the issue with St H as venue?

 

I'll try to sum it up and I will say I agree with some of this and not sure I do with other parts. But I can tell you what the issues are.

 

Regardless of what St Henry's field measurements are, we all know it a large field and not the atypical dimensions. For that reason, most of the coaches feel that's not the best place to play. They feel it should be played on a more consistent field to what most are accustomed to playing on. Every coach has their own reason for that. Home run hitters, slow outfielders, other teams taking advantage of speed because you have to play deeper. Like I said, each coach has their own reason for wanting to play on a field with more consistent dimensions.

 

Also, St Henry's field has a very poor drainage for the outfield. If there is any rain over the weekend, that outfield will remain a swamp. That's no disrespect to St Henry, the staff or the program. It is what it is and it's known by most.

 

So I think the stance is, if we know the dimensions are not ideal and we know there is a good chance the outfield could be a swamp, why schedule it there when there are other venues that eliminate both those concerns and could host all 4 games on Monday. We are talking about a trip to the state tournament on the line. And for seniors, this if their last chance! All the coaches are saying, if we know the situation at St Henry has the potential to influence the outcome differently than on a more consistent dimensioned field with no drainage problems, why not consider moving it? What's the harm? I know for sure that 6 of the 8 coaches have expressed concern about the location and the format and the only reason I don't know about all 8 is because I haven't spoke with the other two.

 

The format question is about an unfair advantage for the teams playing on Monday. They will have a day off, rest for their pitcher and a chance to prepare for their opponent. Teams playing on Tuesday play 3 days in a row. I know, luck of the draw. But if we can make it fair by agreeing on a different solution, why not do it??

 

Those are really all the items. Again, not necessarily my view on all of them, but thought I'd put out the concerns.

 

As one coach said "a gap shot on a normal field is a double. A gap shot at St Henry can often turn into a home run." If you lose 1-0 on a ball that should of been a double, that would be tough to take. Again, just another perspective and the way coaches think.

 

And again, if we have the ability to fix that, then why not fix it.

Recommendations are not the same as requirements. Just saying...

 

We dont care where its played. Didnt ask for it to be at our field. More work for this old fat fella but thats why i get the big $

 

Lets just play ball!

Recommendations are not the same as requirements. Just saying...

 

We dont care where its played. Didnt ask for it to be at our field. More work for this old fat fella but thats why i get the big $

 

Lets just play ball!

 

Recommendations are different. No one is saying they aren't. They are saying the dimensions are not typical and they would prefer to play these meaningful games on fields that are more typical dimensions. When you play at St Henry, there is a good chance you have to make adjustments that you may not have to at typical fields...depending on your team. I assume some coaches would prefer not to have to worry about those adjustments that is controlled by the field you're playing on. It's really nothing against anyone. Just the coaches preferring a different venue and speaking their minds. If we didn't, everyone would be saying "well why didn't you say something!??"

 

And NO ONE is blaming St Henry or has any feeling that St Henry is driving this for their benefit. They all know where this is coming from.

This all starts and ends with the AD meetings and their rotation schedule signed by them.

 

And you can't blame the new ADs because some of the rotations were signed by prior ADs years back

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.