Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shelby Valley 79 Phelps 6

Featured Replies

When the continous clock is running, does it really matter whether a team runs or throws? The clock will run regardless. Jenkins apparently couldn't stop their run so why not pass? Maybe Shelby Valley views a pass the same way most of us view jus running up the middle. I've seen teams score in the 70s by running up the middle and scoring on four straight carries. Then what do you do? Further humiliate them and take a knee?

 

I don't have a horse in this race, but I never understood what the big brouhaha was about when a team passed when the running clock was going because the same amount of time ticks off the clock.

 

I don't really care either. Not that big a deal, and more times than not, what goes around comes around. I don't buy for a minute, however, that the fact the clock runs somehow makes irrelevant the coaching moves (Shelby Valley has a whole team of subs), play call, and control over players.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is never a reason to beat a team by 73 points. No excuse at all for this...Welcome to Pike County Mr. Saunders! I am sure you're due is coming.

Is Shelby Valley a running team or a throwing team??

Are they padding numbers for any of thier players??

Is Shelby Valley a running team or a throwing team??

 

What I know is they beat Johnson Central 28-0 (at least 4 TDs) in summer passing league. With pads, in the scrimmage last week, they were inaffective, but I assume they have a passing game when there's time to throw.

I guess my point is, five seconds to go in the game they are losing by four points. Ball at the opponent's 7-yard line. Are they more likely to run or pass?

Valley's players have been on an emotional rollercoaster for the past 4 years as far as coaching goes.4 years -4 new coaches. Alot of thoughts can run through a player's head having to endure something like this,questions like aren't we any good, does anyone really care if we win or lose, doesn't anyone in the community care enough about our program to try and get a coach that wants to build a program????? Now to my point- I believe that the first thing you do is to hire a guy with no ties to the community.....In steps coach Saunders. Now if you want to win and win as fast as you can, the first thing you have to do is get rid of the kids that aren't 100 % in love with the game, this is a tough job to do, you lose alot of good athletes that would probably help your team but still it must be done.What's left are kids that will put it all on the line reguardless of what's said or done to them. Now you build confidence... remember now, alot of very good athletes have quit, and maybe just maybe the kids that are left are doubting wheather or not they can still win without certain players being on the team. BINGO !!!! Phelps was the game that was needed....not for Phelps' fans or anyone with a soft-spot for not running up the score, but for Valley players that remained on the team after so many had quit for one reason or another. I don't believe for a second that the coach for valley intended to hurt the feelings of the players from phelps, but was trying to build confidence within his own team. This is just my view on the whole situation, I wish valley the best,in what ever the future holds for them......and if another team can beat them by 60-70 points then bring it on, after what some of these kids have indured over the past 4 years, I'm sure it would only feel like a fly on their backside!! NOW go get another win . KW

Congrats to the Valley players for getting it done.

Sounds like the coach needs to win with class but, that's just one old man speaking his mind on the subject.

;)

Valley's players have been on an emotional rollercoaster for the past 4 years as far as coaching goes.4 years -4 new coaches. Alot of thoughts can run through a player's head having to endure something like this,questions like aren't we any good, does anyone really care if we win or lose, doesn't anyone in the community care enough about our program to try and get a coach that wants to build a program????? Now to my point- I believe that the first thing you do is to hire a guy with no ties to the community.....In steps coach Saunders. Now if you want to win and win as fast as you can, the first thing you have to do is get rid of the kids that aren't 100 % in love with the game, this is a tough job to do, you lose alot of good athletes that would probably help your team but still it must be done.What's left are kids that will put it all on the line reguardless of what's said or done to them. Now you build confidence... remember now, alot of very good athletes have quit, and maybe just maybe the kids that are left are doubting wheather or not they can still win without certain players being on the team. BINGO !!!! Phelps was the game that was needed....not for Phelps' fans or anyone with a soft-spot for not running up the score, but for Valley players that remained on the team after so many had quit for one reason or another. I don't believe for a second that the coach for valley intended to hurt the feelings of the players from phelps, but was trying to build confidence within his own team. This is just my view on the whole situation, I wish valley the best,in what ever the future holds for them......and if another team can beat them by 60-70 points then bring it on, after what some of these kids have indured over the past 4 years, I'm sure it would only feel like a fly on their backside!! NOW go get another win . KW

 

Thats still no excuse to try to run another team in the ground, Maybe Coach Saunders will learn from some other more experienced coaches around this great state that if you want respect then show respect. When SV was up 65-6 I looked over at my dad at the game and I said: If they score again with the agressiveness they were trying to then that is a slap in the face to what this bowl is about. I am sure Phelps would love to compete with schools like SV, they are trying thier best to build thier program, but for you to use SV's bent up agression over the past 4 years as an excuse to pound on Phelps, then I guess the attitude in SV is all the same then.

I would love to see Belfry beat them as bad as possible but I know Coach Haywood wouldn't do that...........

I would love to see Belfry beat them as bad as possible but I know Coach Haywood wouldn't do that...........

 

 

Your very on mark witht he comment on Haywood. I have seen five or so games in which Belfry has had a running clock for most of the second half, and in all five games I can say that the JV played for the most part of the third quarter and some fourth but in most instances if necessary the freshmen team came in either early fourth/late fourth (as needed) and finished up the game. Haywood is highly accredited with the way he runs his show and he has a fist full of rings to further back up that.:thumb:

It should have been fullback dive EVERY play once they hit 60. (Perhaps a tad earlier) Had Phelps given up td's to the 3rd string fullback, then thats a different story. SV threw to their STARTING TE to make it like 63!

Gratz to the players of Valley looks like they are going to do good this year as for the whole situation running the ball or throwing should not have made a difference since the clock would have been ran continous. I didnt like Valley pounding the snot out of Phelps. It had happened to me I didnt like it but thats valleys coach not the player I congradulate the players on a well executed game. The Coach, to me, was making a statement meaning that He was there to win and not mess around. I hope it dosent backfire on him.

Certainly a nice night for the players, but even 16,17 year old kid begin to get a feel when something just isn't right.

 

My criticism is on the coach. Shame!

Coach, to me, was making a statement meaning that He was there to win and not mess around. I hope it dosent backfire on him.

 

Yeah Coach Saunders made a statement alright,.. that he doesn't respect an opponent who is not on the level of his team by pouding them with td after td after the game was out of reach. Shame on him, and his whole staff! :fight:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.