Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

One and Done May Soon Be Done

Featured Replies

That is a 100% pro UK way of looking at it that's not entirely accurate

 

It isn't entirely inaccurate either. Very few college freshmen are capable of playing in the NBA and very few are capable of playing in the top European leagues where you could actually make really big money. Factor in the cultural change and the need to fit into a team of players you do not know (compared to playing with a recruiting class you've come to know in high school, AAU, etc.) and going to Europe is very difficult. And not to sound like Darren Rovell, but I'd also argue a year of college helps "build the brand" much better than a year averaging 6 points per game in Italy.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The down side to the way Mudiay went is he basically got zero exposure and was hidden overseas that entire time. In his case that was a good thing. In other cases it could hurt your value and potential for shoe $$$.

 

Personally, I think being "exposed" in a true foreign environment and being thrown together with other men is a more valuable experience than playing against other 18-23 year old amateurs. It is a different experience, but I think it would bring about a different level of maturity and be more humbling than being the BMOC.

That is a 100% pro UK way of looking at it that's not entirely accurate

 

Actually, it is very accurate. It has nothing to do with UK like you think it does. You think Brandon Jennings would have seen an equal amount of playing time and averaged the same at Arizona his Freshman year?

I think going overseas to play is a good career move. I don't know what the value is, unless you are a super-stud talent, on building your American brand for one season in college.

Personally, I think being "exposed" in a true foreign environment and being thrown together with other men is a more valuable experience than playing against other 18-23 year old amateurs. It is a different experience, but I think it would bring about a different level of maturity and be more humbling than being the BMOC.

 

That's also a fair point. You could make a case for both IMO.

I think going overseas to play is a good career move. I don't know what the value is, unless you are a super-stud talent, on building your American brand for one season in college.

 

That is why I've always thought it would be dumb for a player to go overseas. Guys like John Wall & Anthony Davis built a huge brand for themselves.

 

MKG doesn't go #2 overall playing overseas.

 

Guys like Devin Booker and maybe Trey Lyles don't get drafted as high playing overseas, in my opinion.

 

It might be for some, but I personally don't think it's probably for most.

On a side note, Thon Maker is nowhere close to being an NBA player. I can't imagine anyone would draft him in the first round...but someone will.

 

He can't be worse than Skal.

He can't be worse than Skal.

 

I would question any NBA team that drafts either.

If you're 18 and go to Kentucky, you are already one of, if not the best player on the floor.

 

And you still get paid as much as you would in Spain. :banana:

I would question any NBA team that drafts either.

 

I'd say it's likely both spend a significant amount of time in the D-League.

That is why I've always thought it would be dumb for a player to go overseas. Guys like John Wall & Anthony Davis built a huge brand for themselves.

 

MKG doesn't go #2 overall playing overseas.

 

Guys like Devin Booker and maybe Trey Lyles don't get drafted as high playing overseas, in my opinion.

 

It might be for some, but I personally don't think it's probably for most.

Wall and Davis, sure. MKG was drafted high, so his money situation worked out well. The other two were not super star college talents, so I can't say Booker and Lyles came out infinitely better by being forced into the college system for a season. They both made a shade over $2MM this year. Last year (not this year) they potentially could have made that playing in Europe when you throw in all the perks that goes with it.

He can't be worse than Skal.

 

I would question any NBA team that drafts either.

 

Had we seen Skal in high school more, he would have resembled Thon Maker with a bit less of a handle.

 

Not sure on how accurate it is, but DraftExpress has Skal at #10, Thon at #40. I figured both would be somewhere in between? But I don't know enough to make an informed opinion on that.

Had we seen Skal in high school more, he would have resembled Thon Maker with a bit less of a handle.

 

Not sure on how accurate it is, but DraftExpress has Skal at #10, Thon at #40. I figured both would be somewhere in between? But I don't know enough to make an informed opinion on that.

 

I saw them both in high school and I thought they both stunk.

I'd say it's likely both spend a significant amount of time in the D-League.

 

And making millions in the process...

And making millions in the process...

 

Over time, yes.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.