Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top Ten Weakest Champions

Featured Replies

In the expanded tourney era.

 

From Sporting News. 1998 Kentucky made the list.

 

Ranking the 1

I don't know why. They were 29-4 and had 5 NBA players on feh roster

I don't know why. They were 29-4 and had 5 NBA players on feh roster

 

 

Who were the 5? I can think of three - Padgett, Nazr and Magliore.

 

Almost all NCAA champions have either a great high level NBA draft pick or multiple NBA first rounders.

 

I agree with Decourcy that the 98 UK team was one of the weakest championship teams in recent times. They had no top shelf players. Their top NBA picks were last pick of the first round 1998 Nazr and 2nd last pick of first round 1999 Padgett. Magliore went at pick 19 in 2000.

 

The team that he missed is Indiana 1988. That team did not have any NBA first rounders on it. Since that team the least talented NCAA champions are:

 

UK 1998

U Conn 2014

Edited by Voice of Reason

Who were the 5? I can think of three - Padgett, Nazr and Magliore.

 

Almost all NCAA champions have either a great high level NBA draft pick or multiple NBA first rounders.

 

I agree with Decourcy that the 98 UK team was one of the least talented championship teams in recent times. They had no top shelf players. Their top NBA picks were last pick of the first round 1998 Nazr and 2nd last pick of first round 1999 Padgett. Magliore went at pick 19 in 2000.

 

Agreed. I think that team was more of a sum is better than the parts kind of group.

 

The team that he missed is Indiana 1988. That team did not have any NBA first rounders on it.

 

Indiana won in 1987.

Both of the UCONN teams come to mind (and they were both in the Top 5 in the link). Arizona 97, UK 98, & Duke 10 as well. But the Villanova & Kansas teams should be vying for the top spot IMO.

 

The one team on the list that I take issue with is the Florida team. I think simply because they repeated the next season, you can't put them on this list. Other than that, I thought it was pretty accurate.

I would have been shocked if 2009-10 Duke didn't make this list. That team was worse than this year's Duke team but they got it together at the right time.

  • Author

I think it shows that when the tourney went to 64, luck was given one more game.

Jeff Sheppard and Michael Bradley also played in the NBA.

  • Author
Jeff Sheppard and Michael Bradley also played in the NBA.

 

They were there for a cup of coffee I think. Bradley was on the bench but did nothing to help win it.

I would have been shocked if 2009-10 Duke didn't make this list. That team was worse than this year's Duke team but they got it together at the right time.

 

Zoubek and the Miracles. I'll be honest, they were my favorite team to play with on that NCAA2K. Remember those days?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.