Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

E- programs.....yuk!

Featured Replies

Artist's rendering of Mustang on his phone.

 

1843.AlexanderGrahamBell.jpg

  • Replies 71
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are rapidly becoming (if not already) a digital world. Print continues to decline regardless of the space....newspapers, magazines, books etc. I used to be a huge consumer of newspapers (I regularly read the NY Times and multiple newspapers in whatever area I lived) and magazines. And now I don't read any. I can get whatever content as soon as I want it online. It was inevitable that sports programs follow in the direction of digital only. My guess is that those wanting print versions of the program are in the minority at this point. And while I understand why people would want printed versions, I also understand the reasons why the KHSAA would choose not to print programs anymore. Why continue to produce something the vast majority of your consumers have no need for?? If most are satisfied with and prefer digital versions of the programs, then the KHSAA is serving it's customer.

From the looks of Commissioner Tackett this week, the only thing he has been re-visiting has been the buffet line.

 

I'm sure this will change Tackett's mind.....he'll bring the printed programs back for sure after reading this.

I have a smart phone, so getting a program worked for me. However, it wouldn't hurt to print out a few, like 20 for fans that have been used to getting programs. Or have a table with someone that can print a copy when asked, which I've been seeing more of lately

Printed ones will be available but only after the state tourneys. I buy two every year. Maybe not this year though, they have my wife listed as an assistant coach for Mason County. Hear along I thought she only worked in the office. I knew she had been listening to be talk about Basketball and picked up my vast knowledge.

  • Author
We are rapidly becoming (if not already) a digital world. Print continues to decline regardless of the space....newspapers, magazines, books etc. I used to be a huge consumer of newspapers (I regularly read the NY Times and multiple newspapers in whatever area I lived) and magazines. And now I don't read any. I can get whatever content as soon as I want it online. It was inevitable that sports programs follow in the direction of digital only. My guess is that those wanting print versions of the program are in the minority at this point. And while I understand why people would want printed versions, I also understand the reasons why the KHSAA would choose not to print programs anymore. Why continue to produce something the vast majority of your consumers have no need for?? If most are satisfied with and prefer digital versions of the programs, then the KHSAA is serving it's customer.

No question we are, but would sure like to get a lesson from someone on how to be functional on an e-program while game action is going on. Going from page 27 when team A has ball and then finding out who stole that ball on team B page 45. Like I admitted, I am a dinosaur. As is a very large % of Sweet Sixteen attendees, especially the Boys. It is about the Fan Experience, and Julian Tackett is losing sight of that. IMO

 

Saw him walking around Thursday and he didn't appear to be a happy guy. Lots on his mind, I'm sure. Participating teams have sure done their job with some great basketball.

No question we are, but would sure like to get a lesson from someone on how to be functional on an e-program while game action is going on. Going from page 27 when team A has ball and then finding out who stole that ball on team B page 45. Like I admitted, I am a dinosaur. As is a very large % of Sweet Sixteen attendees, especially the Boys. It is about the Fan Experience, and Julian Tackett is losing sight of that. IMO

Saw him walking around Thursday and he didn't appear to be a happy guy. Lots on his mind, I'm sure. Participating teams have sure done their job with some great basketball.

 

It's probably easier to do digitally than rifling through or dog earing a magazine/program that takes up space that is better filled by a cheeseburger, or nacho's. A few swipes of your screen and your there. Or to make it even easier, just take a screen shot of each roster, then look at that when you want to find out a name. Either way, whether it's a program or digital, your taking your eyes off the action. And in reality, how many times do you find yourself referring to the program?? Typically, that happens in the early parts of the game. Once you know the names, your pretty good to go. I think the wish for printed programs is more of a nostalgia thing, than for any real practical purpose. And I understand that. But I'll take a digital version over a printed version any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. And I'm closer to 50 years old than 40. And I think most people my age and younger would agree, and the number that are older would probably surprise you. I work in the digital content (and traditional media) space and I see it every day how traditional print/media is dying a not so slow death.

 

Embrace technology. It's a beautiful thing.;)

One of my prized possessions is a 2008 program (boys). The second time Mason County won, and a family friend (photos from 2007) on the front cover.

 

#dinopapa

 

There is probably a collection at my grandparents going back decades. Boys state tournament is a family thing for us.

 

Grandparents had been going for a long, long time up until about 2011 or 2012 when grandmas Alzheimer's took a big hit on her.

 

Dad has been going every year since 1951, born in June 1950.

 

I've only missed 2 years in my 44 years

 

And my 2 boys have yet to miss in their 8 & 6 years.

  • Author
It's probably easier to do digitally than rifling through or dog earing a magazine/program that takes up space that is better filled by a cheeseburger, or nacho's. A few swipes of your screen and your there. Or to make it even easier, just take a screen shot of each roster, then look at that when you want to find out a name. Either way, whether it's a program or digital, your taking your eyes off the action. And in reality, how many times do you find yourself referring to the program?? Typically, that happens in the early parts of the game. Once you know the names, your pretty good to go. I think the wish for printed programs is more of a nostalgia thing, than for any real practical purpose. And I understand that. But I'll take a digital version over a printed version any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. And I'm closer to 50 years old than 40. And I think most people my age and younger would agree, and the number that are older would probably surprise you. I work in the digital content (and traditional media) space and I see it every day how traditional print/media is dying a not so slow death.

 

Embrace technology. It's a beautiful thing.;)

 

You are not talking like a 70 year old dinosaur. Whoops thar's me.

You are not talking like a 70 year old dinosaur. Whoops thar's me.

 

Nope...a soon to be 46 year old quasi dinosaur.

No question we are, but would sure like to get a lesson from someone on how to be functional on an e-program while game action is going on. Going from page 27 when team A has ball and then finding out who stole that ball on team B page 45. Like I admitted, I am a dinosaur. As is a very large % of Sweet Sixteen attendees, especially the Boys. It is about the Fan Experience, and Julian Tackett is losing sight of that. IMO

 

Saw him walking around Thursday and he didn't appear to be a happy guy. Lots on his mind, I'm sure. Participating teams have sure done their job with some great basketball.

 

You could have printed the rosters before hand. They are on the KHSAA website. Just cause you are lazy doesnt mean the KHSAA isnt doing what they need too.

If the Internet goes down, these e-programs become a problem. The KHSAA cut a lot of things out, like not buying ads locally. The fact there was no program isn't a surprise. Printing costs are rising and that's a problem. Printing companies are putting themselves out of business by overcharging their customers. Now the KHSAA does not need to go with glossy paper and that would cut some costs, but welcome to the tech-driven who-cares-about-quality-and-customer-needs of the 21st century.

From the looks of Commissioner Tackett this week, the only thing he has been re-visiting has been the buffet line.

 

Julian is a good guy. He wasn't happy about a lot of things this week and did not visit the buffet line as much as you might think. The problem of empty seats in the arena and the lack of community support was on his mind, but his own organization is at fault for its failure to publicize and promote the event. Hopefully next year the KHSAA will buy invest in buying a full-page ad in one of the newspapers up here and a couple of TV ads.

I would print a limited # of them, but charge $10-15 per, and continue to allow the e-program to be accessed for free.

The other problem with e-programs is many of the organizations do a terrible job of archiving their own publications and they can get lost in cyberspace. At least a printed item is there for keeps.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.