2016 Kentucky Derby Countdown

doomer

I clipped down to the first 10 ranked ponies for the 2016 Kentucky Derby. At the end is the link which includes all potential contenders. Only two months to go, and this is a good time to start following horses to determine your play.

Horse / Sire

Trainer / Jockey

Mohaymen

Tapit K. McLaughlin

J. Alvarado

Nyquist

Uncle Mo D. O'Neill

Gun Runner

Candy Ride S. Asmussen

Swipe

Birdstone J. Desormeaux

Mor Spirit

Eskendereya B. Baffert

Brody's Cause

Giant's Causeway D. Romans

Awesome Speed

Awesome Again A. Goldberg

Smokey Image

Southern Image C. Gaines

Riker

Include M. Casse

Awesome Banner

Awesome of Course S. Gold

link: Kentucky Derby 2

• 4 weeks later...
No Calvin Borel this year. Announced his retirement today.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never been a Borel fan. I think what did it for me was the year he tried to start a fight in the Winner's Circle at CD after a Breeder's Cup race a few years back.

Yes he's got 3 KY Derby victories, but if you look at his record, it was the Claiming races around the southeast that he won a lot of.

I'd like to see his winning percentage at CD compared to other tracks around the country.

I want to hear from the horse experts on here like Stinkyboy II and Mustang. A few others that will remain nameless. Heard one of them is in love with Nyquist.

As for Turfway. Assume you can watch on TVG or TVG2 like you can every day that they run. See they finally wised up out there and only charge $ 5 to get in rather than $ 10.

That No. 3 from the rankings @doomer posted a few weeks ago dominated the field at Fair Grounds last weekend. Gun Runner won the Louisiana Derby going away. I'm a little concerned about that speed figure, but there's no doubt that he absolutely thrashed that competition... we just have to worry about how good that competition really was.

That No. 3 from the rankings @doomer posted a few weeks ago dominated the field at Fair Grounds last weekend. Gun Runner won the Louisiana Derby going away. I'm a little concerned about that speed figure, but there's no doubt that he absolutely thrashed that competition... we just have to worry about how good that competition really was.

The "best" horse in that race did not win and you can take that to the bank. Mo Tom was much the best and simply got throttled again. I would suspect that Corey Lanerie will no longer be riding him and I am curious where he ends up making that next start since most of the tracks that still have Derby preps are more speed favoring.

The "best" horse in that race did not win and you can take that to the bank. Mo Tom was much the best and simply got throttled again. I would suspect that Corey Lanerie will no longer be riding him and I am curious where he ends up making that next start since most of the tracks that still have Derby preps are more speed favoring.

I liked Mo Tom as a two year old but if I'm not mistaken, that's the second time he's been taken out of a race this year. I watched the moment where he tried to make a move to the rail and just got jammed up as the hole closed immediately. I think you're right that Lanerie is probably not going to be on him again. We'll have to see. Any idea where Mo Tom's connections will send him now?

I liked Mo Tom as a two year old but if I'm not mistaken, that's the second time he's been taken out of a race this year. I watched the moment where he tried to make a move to the rail and just got jammed up as the hole closed immediately. I think you're right that Lanerie is probably not going to be on him again. We'll have to see. Any idea where Mo Tom's connections will send him now?

The fact that Amoss is the trainer, I am going to say Keeneland, but if it was up to me I would go to Arkansas.

Unbeaten Mohaymen and unbeaten Nyquist will meet in the Florida Derby today at 6:45 pm. Any picks out there? Any shot a horse besides one of those two hits the top of the board?

Lot of bad horses in this race. Very cool that top 2 square off prior to Derby.

Unbeaten Mohaymen and unbeaten Nyquist will meet in the Florida Derby today at 6:45 pm. Any picks out there? Any shot a horse besides one of those two hits the top of the board?

Daily Racing Form touts say this essentially will be a match race between M and N. Whoever comes in third is going to be waaaaaaay back when M and N hit the wire.