Jared Dougherty verbally commits to Lindsey Wilson

Congratulations to Jared. His leg strength is in the top three or four I have ever seen in high school. He is the only high school kicker I have ever seen put a kickoff through the goalposts. Odd question perhaps, but how many times did he do that in his career?

I can only remember him hitting the crossbar on a kickoff as a sophomore against Warren Central.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it curious that D1 schools don't focus more on recruiting kickers. Talk about the position that impact wins and losses and so many times we see big name schools with kickers that just don't get it done. If I were a coach I would sure as heck have at least one scholarship kicker on my roster.

I do find it curious that D1 schools don't focus more on recruiting kickers. Talk about the position that impact wins and losses and so many times we see big name schools with kickers that just don't get it done. If I were a coach I would sure as heck have at least one scholarship kicker on my roster.

They do have at least one scholarship kicker, however they do not like to give them scholarships for the most part right out of high school. Those kids that do get scholarships right out of high school have done nothing but run the kicking camp circuit for the last several years.

An example, my son and I were watching Moeller play one day on television and his comment was that kicker does nothing different than I do, but he has a scholarship from Michigan State.

Just the way it happens. Jared had very few sniffs from any D-1 schools to even be a PWO. That results from not having exposure at all of these kicking camp cattle calls.

Totally agree. If I was the head coach of a major college team, I would challenge my assistants to find the very best HS kicker and then try to get him. That position WILL win or lose a game or games for you every year. Instead of worrying about the 4th string middle LB, I want a VERY GOOD kicker all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Just received word this afternoon that Jared has earned the kickoff and place-kicking duties as a true freshman. First game two weeks from tomorrow night under the lights in Lebanon, Tn.

Took them long enough. :D

Tell him good luck. Keep us updated.

Just received word this afternoon that Jared has earned the kickoff and place-kicking duties as a true freshman. First game two weeks from tomorrow night under the lights in Lebanon, Tn.

Source? :bunny:

Just kidding JOAT, that is AWESOME, I'm so happy for him. Young man has a M.O.N.S.T.E.R. leg, glad he gets to use it right off the bat. Hope he has great success down there -- that is really a cool place.

Just received word this afternoon that Jared has earned the kickoff and place-kicking duties as a true freshman. First game two weeks from tomorrow night under the lights in Lebanon' date=' Tn.[/quote']

No surprise. Congrats to him.