Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals vs Steelers: What we learned from 2016 Wild Card matchup

Featured Replies

Gotta disagree in a big way on two points.

 

Take a knee times three.

Bengals were the better team for considerably less than 58 minutes. Only when Ben was out.

 

You are saying the Bengals should have taken a knee three times?

  • Replies 40
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2015 pre game scrum, trying to fight players? Your kidding me. I'm sure Berfict and Pacman were just out on the field doing their pregame prayer along with sister Carleen Marie from the local Catholic Church, where they also sing in the choir. Berfect and Pacman have never seen a scrum that they wouldn't start or be a part of. Come on, man!!

So if your the head coach you would have zero problem with one of your asst coaches getting into a pregame altercation with players? I know I would. My beef with this game is the officiating, which in my opinion was extremely inconsistent. Of course it's been in consistent year long league wide. How Williams gets flagged for a shoulder to shoulder/chest area and ghe Gio hit goes uncalled is mind blowing. The Burfict hit can't be defended in my opinion.

So if your the head coach you would have zero problem with one of your asst coaches getting into a pregame altercation with players? I know I would. My beef with this game is the officiating, which in my opinion was extremely inconsistent. Of course it's been in consistent year long league wide. How Williams gets flagged for a shoulder to shoulder/chest area and ghe Gio hit goes uncalled is mind blowing. The Burfict hit can't be defended in my opinion.

 

Just words, I wouldn't have a problem. Physically, that's a HUGE problem.

You are saying the Bengals should have taken a knee three times?

 

I think they should have given Hill's problem with fumbles. Plus you have an additional exchange between the QB and RB to worry about. Take the knee 2 times and punt the ball if you're uncomfortable with the FG. Make the Steelers go from their 20 at best without timeouts.

I think they should have given Hill's problem with fumbles. Plus you have an additional exchange between the QB and RB to worry about. Take the knee 2 times and punt the ball if you're uncomfortable with the FG. Make the Steelers go from their 20 at best without timeouts.

 

Once again not a single team in the NFL would just taken 3 knees or any knees when the other team still has 3 timeouts. Every team in the NFL would have ran the ball to keep the clock moving and to try to get a first down. You are 10 yards away from winning the game right now! If you take three knees, maybe 6 seconds total come off the clock. So you would then leave the other team with still around 90 seconds to go to win the game. Which if you take three knees that puts the field goal at around 49 yards, which is a kicker who has missed big kicks in his life and is not great from long distance. Then if you punt, the ball may have been a touchback. Shoot even after the fumble the ball was at the 9 yard line.

 

It is very simple the Bengals did exactly what they should have done and that was run the ball, the running back has to not fumble it is as simple as that. The only true coaching complaints from this game people can have was not taking a timeout after getting the lead so they could have set up a better 2 point conversion.

Just words, I wouldn't have a problem. Physically, that's a HUGE problem.

 

Well the Steelers did both of that words and physically.

Once again not a single team in the NFL would just taken 3 knees or any knees when the other team still has 3 timeouts. Every team in the NFL would have ran the ball to keep the clock moving and to try to get a first down. You are 10 yards away from winning the game right now! If you take three knees, maybe 6 seconds total come off the clock. So you would then leave the other team with still around 90 seconds to go to win the game. Which if you take three knees that puts the field goal at around 49 yards, which is a kicker who has missed big kicks in his life and is not great from long distance. Then if you punt, the ball may have been a touchback. Shoot even after the fumble the ball was at the 9 yard line.

 

It is very simple the Bengals did exactly what they should have done and that was run the ball, the running back has to not fumble it is as simple as that. The only true coaching complaints from this game people can have was not taking a timeout after getting the lead so they could have set up a better 2 point conversion.

 

You don't know what every team would have done and I don't care. I would have taken a knee and punted. I suspect there are conservative coaches out there who would have made the same decision given the game conditions and Hill's penchant for putting the ball on the ground.

You don't know what every team would have done and I don't care. I would have taken a knee and punted. I suspect there are conservative coaches out there who would have made the same decision given the game conditions and Hill's penchant for putting the ball on the ground.

 

I do know because it wouldn't have happened. No one ever has before and never well, it just makes no sense. Its very easy to say it after the fact. However a team expects their player not to fumble in that situation. You are 10 yards away from ending the game right then and there, and also taking more time off the clock by running it rather than taking a knee. If you take a knee literally 1 second or 2 seconds at most come off the clock when a team has a timeout to take right away.

 

People talk about Marvin's bad game management, however he managed that perfectly. If he did what you said and they lost he would have absolutely been tore up for being to conservative and dumb considering the other team still had 3 timeouts.

I do know because it wouldn't have happened. No one ever has before and never well, it just makes no sense. Its very easy to say it after the fact. However a team expects their player not to fumble in that situation. You are 10 yards away from ending the game right then and there, and also taking more time off the clock by running it rather than taking a knee. If you take a knee literally 1 second or 2 seconds at most come off the clock when a team has a timeout to take right away.

 

People talk about Marvin's bad game management, however he managed that perfectly. If he did what you said and they lost he would have absolutely been tore up for being to conservative and dumb considering the other team still had 3 timeouts.

 

We'll never agree. I guarantee it's been done before and will be done again. They had not run the ball all game, even with the threat of the pass. Inexperienced QB, RB who fumbles the ball, no success with the run game at all and lousy weather. Yep, take the knee and make them burn all their timeouts. Punt the ball and let you're defense win the game against a second string QB they had abused. (At that point there was no indication Ben was coming back in) Taking the knee was the right thing to do under all those circumstances. I was saying it when they intercepted, my wife thought I was crazy.

 

I do agree Marvin was in a no win situation.

This whole discussion reminds me of the end of a game between the Bengals and the 49ers back in 1987. Coach Sam Wyche made a bad decision on 4th down which lead to a touchdown pass from Joe Montana to Jerry Rice with no time on the clock leading to a 27-26 49ers victory. Bengals fans have been suffering through this kind of junk for years. Here's the story on that game:

 

Bengals Bungle One, 27-26 - latimes

We'll never agree. I guarantee it's been done before and will be done again. They had not run the ball all game, even with the threat of the pass. Inexperienced QB, RB who fumbles the ball, no success with the run game at all and lousy weather. Yep, take the knee and make them burn all their timeouts. Punt the ball and let you're defense win the game against a second string QB they had abused. (At that point there was no indication Ben was coming back in) Taking the knee was the right thing to do under all those circumstances. I was saying it when they intercepted, my wife thought I was crazy.

 

I do agree Marvin was in a no win situation.

 

What Marvin could've done, because I agree I had a bad feeling about Hill in that situation...

 

1) Could've run QB sneak... No hand off and McCarron is more trustworthy than Hill...

 

2) Best option IMO... Hand the ball off to Burkhead or Peerman..

If one of those backs we're getting the ball in that situation... Game is over...Bengals win.

  • Author
What Marvin could've done, because I agree I had a bad feeling about Hill in that situation...

 

1) Could've run QB sneak... No hand off and McCarron is more trustworthy than Hill...

 

2) Best option IMO... Hand the ball off to Burkhead or Peerman..

If one of those backs we're getting the ball in that situation... Game is over...Bengals win.

 

Since Rex already had to fill in with Gio down I would have went with Rex too.

 

And I definitely think the Bengals needed to attempt to get a first down on the ground.

We'll never agree. I guarantee it's been done before and will be done again. They had not run the ball all game, even with the threat of the pass. Inexperienced QB, RB who fumbles the ball, no success with the run game at all and lousy weather. Yep, take the knee and make them burn all their timeouts. Punt the ball and let you're defense win the game against a second string QB they had abused. (At that point there was no indication Ben was coming back in) Taking the knee was the right thing to do under all those circumstances. I was saying it when they intercepted, my wife thought I was crazy.

 

I do agree Marvin was in a no win situation.

 

I can basically guarantee it won't be done. When a team is only winning by less than a field goal, with 90 seconds left and the other team has 3 time outs left. No team is going to say lets only take 6 total seconds off of the clock and take a knee. When running the ball could take up to 15 seconds off the clock and still make them take their timeouts. You just won't see it, point blank. If a team only had 2 timeouts left then maybe, but not with 3 timeouts and 90 seconds left and the other team only needing a field goal to win.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.