Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chargers Fine Eric Weddle $10K For Watching His Daughter Perform at Halftime

Featured Replies

I honestly don't believe people are thinking about that. Just thinking we have greedy owners that shouldn't be punishing a player over family time.

 

But if that is the case, that doesn't change anything about the scenario.

I don't disagree that he should have been in the meeting. This issue has been long running between the 2 parties. It's a peeing contest and his employer has the last say.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was pretty kind of the Chargers to only fine Weddle 10K and not a lot more.

 

I totally agree Ru. I normally side with players when it comes to NFL management stuff but I think Weddle is really in the wrong here. I have never heard of an NFL player not going in the locker room to discuss stuff at halftime with the rest of the team. If I was another player on the team, I'd be pretty upset with him. I don't think the Chargers are being petty at all. Weddle is the one being petty. If he is upset with his contract, either sit out (and don't get paid) or fully participate (and get paid) and then leave once the contract is over with. Total unprofessional, bush league move by Weddle IMO.

If you want to take off work, clear it beforehand with your employer.

So did Weddle handle himself with class here??

So did Weddle handle himself with class here??

 

I don't know. I don't think what he did was a big deal and I'd be surprised if another veteran player wouldn't have been afforded that opportunity in a similar situation. I also don't think the fine is a big deal and I'd guess it's automatic in a lot of situations. But what seems clear is that the whole thing has more to do with bitterness over his last contract negotiation than it did with how quickly he got to the locker room at halftime.

I don't know. I don't think what he did was a big deal and I'd be surprised if another veteran player wouldn't have been afforded that opportunity in a similar situation. I also don't think the fine is a big deal and I'd guess it's automatic in a lot of situations. But what seems clear is that the whole thing has more to do with bitterness over his last contract negotiation than it did with how quickly he got to the locker room at halftime.

 

I agree that this was a long time feud but I just don't think a professional athlete ditches his team and coaches at halftime of a game. I have NEVER heard of any player doing that before. Really no defense for it.

 

I also think him doing this had much more to do with the contract negotiation than wanting to see his daughter perform. No way he does this if he was happy with the contract. I think he is using his daughter as an excuse to show the world he is not happy with the Chargers.

I agree that this was a long time feud but I just don't think a professional athlete ditches his team and coaches at halftime of a game. I have NEVER heard of any player doing that before. Really no defense for it.

 

How do we know his coaches and teammates didn't say "OK" and support it? I'm willing to believe that if the coaches had a problem with it he would have been benched instead.

  • Author

I would have watched my kid too. Some things are worth it.

How do we know his coaches and teammates didn't say "OK" and support it? I'm willing to believe that if the coaches had a problem with it he would have been benched instead.

 

I guess we don't know. I would say if his coaches and players were OK with it, it might explain their record this year. I don't think it is too much to ask of a player to be TOTALLY focused on the game for the entire 3 hours a week that the game is played. Halftime is a very important time of the game for adjustments to be made. I just think it is a big deal that he did this unless excused by the team and I cannot imagine an NFL team excusing it because of the precedent it sets. In fact, if a player did ask for permission for this, I think the coach's response would be along the lines of, "you're kidding me, right" or "is this some sort of joke"?

I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform.

Here's what he missed in the SD locker room at half, "Guys we gotta play better".

This is probably a rare occasion where both parties are in the right. He has a professional obligation to go into the locker room, rest, rehydrate, go over adjustments, etc. but as a Dad his first obligation is to his family. The organization rightfully fined him, but beyond that they could be over reacting. That being said if this guy wasn't a fan favorite the organization wouldn't be getting any flack from their response.

I just can't bring myself to get worked up about it. He skipped out on a responsibility and was disciplined for it. No issue with either side's actions.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.