Big Ben: Burfict Was Going For My Knees

Report: NFL considers Burfict's hit on Roethlisberger

The NFL is reviewing a play from the Bengals' 33-20 loss on Sunday in which Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict hit Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger low, and considering possible discipline, according to ESPN's Ed Werder.

Also from Werder, via Twitter:

Ed WerderVerified account

‏@Edwerderespn

#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger accused #Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict of deliberate hit to knees. Team source: "Dirty play, dirty player.''

Burfict reportedly apologized to Roethlisberger, saying he was pushed into him on the play.

Roethlisberger made the following remarks about Burfict and the hit to the Cook and Poni Show on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh:

"I don't buy that he was pushed, you know, I think that he definitely was diving in low and going for my legs. So, it's tough, I'm just glad I didn't get hurt. There's got to be a level of professionalism when you play guys. You never want to intentionally hurt someone. Yeah, do you want to play the game as physically as you can, and try to win the game, yes. But never to intentionally harm somebody or put someone out of a game or end their season, maybe end their career. That's just not the way the game should be played."

Burfict was involved in a pregame skirmish with Steelers linebacker Vince Williams on Sunday. He has been fined $77,000 for four previous incidents. Carolina accused him last season of "premeditated" attacks on tight end Greg Olsen and quarterback Cam Newton.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite honestly it is very easy to see that he was pushed into him. However it wasn't a Steeler that pushed him into him, it was a teammate of Burfict that pushed Burfict and then another teammate also hit Burfict on his way to hitting Big Ben. If It wasn't for those two things, then Burfict probably hits Big Ben right in his side on the hip.

Just own it, Bengals fans. The dude plays dirty. You'll feel better about yourself next time you complain about Mitchell, Hines Ward, Porter or whomever else for the Steelers.

No doubt that Burfict walks the line and occasionally oversteps it. I didn't see anything that stood out to me in the most recent Pitt game, though, and I don't think his hit on L. Bell was dirty, either.

Quite honestly it is very easy to see that he was pushed into him. However it wasn't a Steeler that pushed him into him, it was a teammate of Burfict that pushed Burfict and then another teammate also hit Burfict on his way to hitting Big Ben. If It wasn't for those two things, then Burfict probably hits Big Ben right in his side on the hip.

Stop dude:lol2: I know you'll defend your Bengals til you die, but as a fan of neither team I have a 99.99% chance sure Burfict knew what he was doing. You gotta look at the source. If this was an isolated incident maybe it could be passed off. Not this time.

Just own it, Bengals fans. The dude plays dirty. You'll feel better about yourself next time you complain about Mitchell, Hines Ward, Porter or whomever else for the Steelers.

Yes he does. I don't remember you ever owning the dirty play of the Steelers players over the years though. Kinda hypocritical of you, don't ya think?

Stop dude:lol2: I know you'll defend your Bengals til you die, but as a fan of neither team I have a 99.99% chance sure Burfict knew what he was doing. You gotta look at the source. If this was an isolated incident maybe it could be passed off. Not this time.

I don't disagree that his reputation hurts him, and he has only himself to blame for that. However you also have to realize that everything that happens, doesn't mean it is true just because a guy has a reputation. Shoot watching it live, I started looking for a flag because I even saw him hit low. However watch the replay, you can clearly see I believe it was Michael Johnson start pushing Burfict with his left hand and when your momentum is already going forward and getting ready to make a tackle that will make you fall forward more an lower. Then his other teammate also hit him as he was going into Big Ben.

There really hasn't been any other time I have defended him, because most of the time I know he meant to do exactly what he did lol. I just always say I love his passion though. However in this case, I don't think he meant to hit him as low as he did. It would have most likely been right at Big Ben's hip if it wasn't for the push from his own teammate.

No doubt he does some dirty things. However the two things the Steelers are whining about this year, I disagree. There was nothing wrong with the hit he put on Bell, and in fact that was one of his first tackles in the game after not playing football in basically a year. He plays with passion all the time and got up excited. Then as for this hit, I already explained why I don't think it was dirty. Now basically all the other stuff he did in that game and other games is completely intentional and I can't dispute that lol.

I will say this though. Big Ben may not even truly think Burfict went after his knee, however he is smart because he knows that will just fire up Burfict and probably make him do stupid things if these two teams play again. The Steelers are smart because they know the things they are saying are getting in the Bengals heads, and it showed during last game. The Bengals have to learn how to handle themselves better.

If I were Reggie Nelson I would be sending video of the crack back block Antonio Bryant put on his knee in the game to the NFL. That looked worse than this Burfict hit which I am NOT defending at all because I do think Burfict is dirty. Knowing Bengals Steelers history and Tomlin's past remarks on Nelson makes me wonder if that hit by Bryant was deliberate