Should Primary & Presidential Debates Be On Cable?

I hadn't put any thought to this until I heard a discussion about it this morning. There are plenty of people out there who don't have the luxury of paying for cable television. Shouldn't these debates be broadcast in a fashion that makes them as accessible to everyone as possible?

1) It's probably absurd that we're having debates this early at all so they're essentially just manufactured for cable news.

2) While the numbers might be good by cable news channel standards, the networks aren't going to exactly be falling all over each other to broadcast presidential debates more than a year before the general.

I hadn't put any thought to this until I heard a discussion about it this morning. There are plenty of people out there who don't have the luxury of paying for cable television. Shouldn't these debates be broadcast in a fashion that makes them as accessible to everyone as possible?

I agree. Debates should not be restricted to a single, sometimes obscure cable TV station. Neither should baseball playoff games.

I say no only because these cable news debates are hardly valuable. As I said in the other thread, these are foremost for entertainment and to advertise the channel. What democratic value they have is secondary. And it's not much.

I'm thinking that if you have a working TV you probably get each of these "Obscure" cable channels...I don't think many people are watching on the old rabbit ears or roof top antennas these days.

In short this is much to do about nothing...people who want to watch the debates will watch them on CNN, Fox, NBC, CNBC or where ever they are...everyone else will simply flip the channel to something else.

I'm thinking that if you have a working TV you probably get each of these "Obscure" cable channels...I don't think many people are watching on the old rabbit ears or roof top antennas these days.

In short this is much to do about nothing...people who want to watch the debates will watch them on CNN, Fox, NBC, CNBC or where ever they are...everyone else will simply flip the channel to something else.

My parents have never had cable, and two of my three siblings' households have cut the cable in the last 5 years or so, opting for Roku and Apple TV instead.

My parents have never had cable, and two of my three siblings' households have cut the cable in the last 5 years or so, opting for Roku and Apple TV instead.
How do your parents watch TV or do they? Roku and Apple both have ability to get "News" channels and most basic cable programming...so if your siblings wanted to watch the debates they could have.

Even with debates on CNN, FOX or CNBC nearly all Americans that have a TV have access to watch those debates if they choose to. We don't live in a world where everything has to be the Big 3 for people to see it...that was the point I was making.

When I visited my brother in Arizona a couple years ago, I noticed that his cable provider offered all the Fox channels, but not MSNBC. I just laughed. I wonder how widespread this practice is.

When I visited my brother in Arizona a couple years ago, I noticed that his cable provider offered all the Fox channels, but not MSNBC. I just laughed. I wonder how widespread this practice is.

All of the Fox Channels? There is only one Fox News channel or are you adding in the Fox sports channels and the channel that shows the Simpsons. MSNBC, CNBC, NBC all run news and political programming...maybe he needs a more inclusive cable package :lol2:

I should have said "both" instead of "all" -- referencing Fox News and the Fox Business channel -- Fox's equivalent of CNBC. As far as getting MSNBC in northern Maricopa County -- it wasn't offered as an option. Censorship by exclusion.

It's available, was out in Phoenix last month. Of course two years ago "both" probably describes the audience for MSNBC there which would explain the exclusion.

I think you'd be surprised Jumper Dad. I work in a small company with about 20 people in the office. I know of at least 4 that don't have cable that would allow them to get Fox News, CNBC, ESPN, and etc.

To answer your follow question about Roku and everything. They just don't. Two in their 40's and two in their late 20's.

It's available, was out in Phoenix last month. Of course two years ago "both" probably describes the audience for MSNBC there which would explain the exclusion.

I'm talking about Wittmann-Wickenburg stretch of Highway 60 on the road to Vegas, which is an hour's drive NW of Phoenix airport but still in Maricopa County. Which is why I said north Maricopa County -- to differentiate it from Phoenix. I wonder which cable system serves all the Del Webb retirees in Surprise -- the Republican one or the Phoenix one. Ha ha.