Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about Prop 20

Featured Replies

I don't see it, there are 5 schools listed there over 1000:

 

1,440 Trinity (Louisville)

1,390 St. Xavier

1,142 Paul Dunbar

1,084 Henderson County

1,008 Henry Clay

 

Henry Clay is the only school there with over 1000 boys in Lexington, still 400 less than Trinity.

 

Isn't Paul Dunbar in Lexington?

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Isn't Paul Dunbar in Lexington?

 

It could be, I wasn't sure, :thumb:

I have a question that I haven't ever seen an answer to about the proposal 20 that was shot down a few months ago. I know that this debate has been going on for years and the vote kept coming up over and over again and the KHSAA kept saying that 75% or so votes in favor was necessary and the votes kept getting closer and closer and finally we see that vote happen and it gets shot down. Why would the KHSAA ignore what the majority of the Kentucky High Schools wanted in this state? I just haven't ever seen an answer as to why that happened, I have seen folks state that the KHSAA does what the majority wants, cause they are the governing body over athletics in this state. Anybody have any information that could help answer this for me?

 

No one at the KHSAA with the authority to do so has never told anyone that if more than the 2/3rds vote was obtained that it would pass. Someone is passing bad info to you if you were told the contrary. The KHSAA does not believe that the KHSAA will always do what the majority of schools want. Hard for some schools to realize, but the KHSAA does not serve the schools. It serves the State Dept of Education, which is why the State Board of Education has the final say. If people took the time, and please don't take that wrong GBR, to read the KHSAA constitution, they'd realize that the BOC must make its recommendation on whether to approve a by law or constitution change based strictly on whether the change is in the best interest of high school athletics. And even if 100% of the schools voted in favor of a change, if the BOC did not feel the change was in the best interest of high school athletics, they would breach their fiduciary duty if they recommended approval of the change. The BOC only makes recommendations the the State Board of Education on these matters. Again the State Board has the final say. Hope that helps.

  • Author
It was two weeks ago during the state track meet.

 

Not sure I follow??

  • Author
No one at the KHSAA with the authority to do so has never told anyone that if more than the 2/3rds vote was obtained that it would pass. Someone is passing bad info to you if you were told the contrary. The KHSAA does not believe that the KHSAA will always do what the majority of schools want. Hard for some schools to realize, but the KHSAA does not serve the schools. It serves the State Dept of Education, which is why the State Board of Education has the final say. If people took the time, and please don't take that wrong GBR, to read the KHSAA constitution, they'd realize that the BOC must make its recommendation on whether to approve a by law or constitution change based strictly on whether the change is in the best interest of high school athletics. And even if 100% of the schools voted in favor of a change, if the BOC did not feel the change was in the best interest of high school athletics, they would breach their fiduciary duty if they recommended approval of the change. The BOC only makes recommendations the the State Board of Education on these matters. Again the State Board has the final say. Hope that helps.

 

 

I didn't mean to imply that if the vote happened it would pass. I believe that the folks I have talked to told me that it took that many votes to get it considered. So I guess since the KHSAA doesn't make the laws then what do they do besides hire and train the referees? If the KHSAA doesn't serve the Kentucky High Schools and Athletes then they need to take that off of their homepage, http://www.khsaa.org/ "Serving Kentucky's High Schools and Athletes since 1917"

Actually the hiring and training of the referees is done at the local officials association level. KHSAA provides a mandatory rules clinic for each sport but that is all in terms of hiring and training.

I didn't mean to imply that if the vote happened it would pass. I believe that the folks I have talked to told me that it took that many votes to get it considered. So I guess since the KHSAA doesn't make the laws then what do they do besides hire and train the referees? If the KHSAA doesn't serve the Kentucky High Schools and Athletes then they need to take that off of their homepage, http://www.khsaa.org/ "Serving Kentucky's High Schools and Athletes since 1917"

 

 

They do serve, they serve them all. Including those that are the minority.

  • Author
They do serve, they serve them all. Including those that are the minority.

 

I agree, I just think that this issue is not new, it has been brought to them several times and they continually find ways to dance around it. The latest set of proposals, if passed, still won't change the way that things are.

The consistency with which an issue arises doesn't necessarily lend creditability to it. (just ask my children)

The consistency with which an issue arises doesn't necessarily lend creditability to it. (just ask my children)

 

 

I hear a roar from parents all over the state :laugh:

 

Woody Jr

Yeah, this is similar to the way things go in our country. But if 2/3rds of the representatives of this country wanted something to pass and it didn't, you could count on the media jumping all over it and then protesting etc.

There is no way for it to be truly indicative of their desires. What happened was best for EVERYONE, there is no way around that.

Look at the KHSAA as a division of a corporation that reports to an executive committee. The division can propose a new way of doing business (perhaps a new product to take to market), but if the executive committee does not think it is a good idea, it will be shot down.

 

Sometimes the heads of the division leave the corporation because they feel the executive committee did not support them. They then form a new company which develops, manufactures, and takes to market their idea. Some are very successful. Others fail.

My question is have the other schools in the other states actually taken it to court? I have not seen anything on any sites about that. It may just be that it has not been challenged.

 

Your right though, how could any school compete against Louisville Desales, they have such an unfair advantage.

 

 

I am not going to argue T and x, because only 2 public schools(Paul Dunbar and Henderson County) are close to our size in enrollment, both have over 1,000 in male enrollment.

 

There was a huge lawsuit in TN about the division of public and private. Not real clear on what all the issues were, but there was a lawsuit.

Not sure I follow??

 

I believe that he was saying that Dunbar was in Lexington two weeks ago at the state track meet.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.