June 14, 200620 yr I have a question that I haven't ever seen an answer to about the proposal 20 that was shot down a few months ago. I know that this debate has been going on for years and the vote kept coming up over and over again and the KHSAA kept saying that 75% or so votes in favor was necessary and the votes kept getting closer and closer and finally we see that vote happen and it gets shot down. Why would the KHSAA ignore what the majority of the Kentucky High Schools wanted in this state? I just haven't ever seen an answer as to why that happened, I have seen folks state that the KHSAA does what the majority wants, cause they are the governing body over athletics in this state. Anybody have any information that could help answer this for me?
June 15, 200620 yr Maybe because KHSAA is charged with making decisions that are in the best interest of all of the member schools, not only the majority?
June 15, 200620 yr Maybe because KHSAA is charged with making decisions that are in the best interest of all of the member schools, not only the majority? That and the Board of Control said no; and the Board of Education said "You don't want us to get involved."
June 15, 200620 yr Also, the BOE also shot down the compromise proposals, and would have also shot down Prop 20. So it was not only the KHSAA that was the death nail. If the KHSAA would have approved it, don't think the BOE would have given its stamp of approval.
June 15, 200620 yr Author Also, the BOE also shot down the compromise proposals, and would have also shot down Prop 20. So it was not only the KHSAA that was the death nail. If the KHSAA would have approved it, don't think the BOE would have given its stamp of approval. Well, I guess in this state, even when the majority of the state wants it, you can't get anything passed in athletics unless the KHSAA, BOE, BOC is willing to let it pass, that seems real fair,
June 15, 200620 yr Well, I guess in this state, you can't get anything passed in athletics unless the KHSAA, BOE, BOC is willing to let it pass, that seems real fair, Yeah, just like when you get a bill passed and it still has to go through the president and the supreme court. THAT'S UNFAIR TOO!!
June 15, 200620 yr Author Yeah, just like when you get a bill passed and it still has to go through the president and the supreme court. THAT'S UNFAIR TOO!! Yeah, this is similar to the way things go in our country. But if 2/3rds of the representatives of this country wanted something to pass and it didn't, you could count on the media jumping all over it and then protesting etc.
June 15, 200620 yr Yeah, this is similar to the way things go in our country. But if 2/3rds of the representatives of this country wanted something to pass and it didn't, you could count on the media jumping all over it and then protesting etc. Unless it was blatant discrimination. For instance if 2/3rds of the country wanted to go back to the Jim Crow era of Separate but equal you could bet there would be an outcry. Just like this "separate but equal" issue was knocked down before it had a chance to go to the BOE or court, because it WOULD have been challenged in court.
June 15, 200620 yr Author Unless it was blatant discrimination. For instance if 2/3rds of the country wanted to go back to the Jim Crow era of Separate but equal you could bet there would be an outcry. Just like this "separate but equal" issue was knocked down before it had a chance to go to the BOE or court, because it WOULD have been challenged in court. I understand what you are saying, but I don't consider a public school and a private school equal at all, they are "Separate and different", it has been shown the differences in the two entities, not just religion but just the way that things are ran in the two entities, which the private schools cannot give up and understandedly so. I know this issue has passed in other states so I am sure that there is law in those states that would take precedence if any legal action was brought in this state. How could any school in this state compete against an all-boys school? It is like taking a co-ed public school and doubling its size.
June 15, 200620 yr I understand what you are saying, but I don't consider a public school and a private school equal at all, they are "Separate and different", it has been shown the differences in the two entities, not just religion but just the way that things are ran in the two entities, which the private schools cannot give up and understandedly so. I know this issue has passed in other states so I am sure that there is law in those states that would take precedence if any legal action was brought in this state. How could any school in this state compete against an all-boys school? It is like taking a co-ed public school and doubling its size. My question is have the other schools in the other states actually taken it to court? I have not seen anything on any sites about that. It may just be that it has not been challenged. Your right though, how could any school compete against Louisville Desales, they have such an unfair advantage. I am not going to argue T and x, because only 2 public schools(Paul Dunbar and Henderson County) are close to our size in enrollment, both have over 1,000 in male enrollment.
June 15, 200620 yr Author My question is have the other schools in the other states actually taken it to court? I have not seen anything on any sites about that. It may just be that it has not been challenged. Your right though, how could any school compete against Louisville Desales, they have such an unfair advantage. I am not going to argue T and x, because only 2 public schools(Paul Dunbar and Henderson County) are close to our size in enrollment, both have over 1,000 in male enrollment. I am sure that this has been taken to court, almost guarantee it, I just haven't ever looked. I don't think that those two schools have that many males in their schools, unless they have over 2000 kids in them. Graves County high school (4-A) has 600 males tops, these public schools usually run 50/50 girls/boys. I don't know anything about Desales, what is their enrollment?
June 15, 200620 yr I don't think that those two schools have that many males in their schools, unless they have over 2000 kids in them. Graves County high school (4-A) has 600 males tops, these public schools usually run 50/50 girls/boys. I don't know anything about Desales, what is their enrollment? Check the proposed class threads in the Football forum done by Sandman, he has enrollment figures for the schools accross the state, I will post a link when I get a chance.
June 15, 200620 yr I am sure that this has been taken to court, almost guarantee it, I just haven't ever looked. I don't think that those two schools have that many males in their schools, unless they have over 2000 kids in them. Graves County high school (4-A) has 600 males tops, these public schools usually run 50/50 girls/boys. I don't know anything about Desales, what is their enrollment? Desales is an all male school in 2A, who has never dominated their class.
June 15, 200620 yr Here we go, actually 2 schools in lexington have a male enrollment of over 1,000. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=97469
June 15, 200620 yr Author Here we go, actually 2 schools in lexington have a male enrollment of over 1,000. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=97469 I don't see it, there are 5 schools listed there over 1000: 1,440 Trinity (Louisville) 1,390 St. Xavier 1,142 Paul Dunbar 1,084 Henderson County 1,008 Henry Clay Henry Clay is the only school there with over 1000 boys in Lexington, still 400 less than Trinity.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.