Cincinnati St. Xavier @ Louisville St. Xavier

Who wins?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The GCL is hard to beat. I doubt Lou X can do it given past history of Lou teams vs the GCL and the fact that the Bombers have such a tough tradition. Bombers by 10.

Trinity has a cumulative winning record against Cincinnati schools and only has a losing record against one of them.

That said the GCL is a great league and looking at both St. Xs this year, I'd have to favor Cincy. I hope Louisville St. X can pull off the upset, though.

This Bomber team is one of the weaker ones in recent memory. They are certainly beatable. Tell me' date=' what do the Tigers bring to the table offensively? -CardinalsFan[/quote']

How is Cincy X faring in the Harbins?

A win will probably get them a home game. If they lose, they will be on the road in week 1 of the playoffs. They are in, regardless of outcome vs. the Tigers.

-CardinalsFan

I am not sure they're in with a loss. They definitely get in with a win, but with a loss, they may need a Lasalle win vs Elder and Elder needs a win for a home game, so LaSalle winning is not a given. They need Mentor to win over Elyria also. They get no help from CovCath @ Scott County or the Moeller win over the winless Canadian team, Cathedral's season is over so no help from them. If the Bombers lose they could possibly be sitting at home at 5-5.

My gut feeling is the Bombers travel to Louisville thinking they NEED a W badly.

Bombers win.

I am not sure they're in with a loss. They definitely get in with a win, but with a loss, they may need a Lasalle win vs Elder and Elder needs a win for a home game, so LaSalle winning is not a given. They need Mentor to win over Elyria also. They get no help from CovCath @ Scott County or the Moeller win over the winless Canadian team, Cathedral's season is over so no help from them. If the Bombers lose they could possibly be sitting at home at 5-5.

My gut feeling is the Bombers travel to Louisville thinking they NEED a W badly.

Bombers win.

A couple of corrections in what you have stated above.

St. Xavier is IN, no question. Win or lose against the Tigers, they are in. However, I do agree that Coach Specht will certainly paint the picture that they NEED this win as they have lost 2 in a row and 3 of 4.

LaSalle is going to roll Elder.

As for secondary points, they get those whenever a team they have beaten wins. So if CovCath (not likely), Mentor, Moeller, Cathedral and LaSalle all win, they get points. The fact that Cathedral's regular season is over has no bearing on the Harbins. St. Xavier will get points for Cathedral's win, WHEN they beat Lawrence North.

I am pulling for a St. Xavier Tiger victory. If STXLou is a program that still predominantly runs the football...good luck with that. The Bombers are not what they have been historically but they are good enough to stop most teams they play if running the ball is their primary means of moving and scoring the ball.

-CardinalsFan

Trinity has a cumulative winning record against Cincinnati schools and only has a losing record against one of them.

That said the GCL is a great league and looking at both St. Xs this year, I'd have to favor Cincy. I hope Louisville St. X can pull off the upset, though.

St Xavier 3-7, Moeller 1-4, Elder 4-2

Far from cumulative winning record vs GCL South.

Add in 1-0 vs Chaminade-Julienne- still leaves the Rocks at 9-13 vs GCL.

Colerain 1-1, Garfield 1-0, Steubenvile 1-0 gives Trinity a 12-14 record all-time versus OHIO.:idunno:

St Xavier 3-7, Moeller 1-4, Elder 4-2

Far from cumulative winning record vs GCL South.

Add in 1-0 vs Chaminade-Julienne- still leaves the Rocks at 9-13 vs GCL.

Colerain 1-1, Garfield 1-0, Steubenvile 1-0 gives Trinity a 12-14 record all-time versus OHIO.:idunno:

Somehow my records had Trinity's total against St. X Cincy as 3-2. A quick check confirmed yours as correct.

That's a bit embarrassing. :facepalm:

Actually, I have not done recent research on the Lou vs Cincy GCL in probably 10 years (I'm an old dude...). Do you have the W-L records and/or teams and scores ready to post? Thanks..!

OK, I did an analysis of Trinity vs GCL schools only from 1998-2014, and their won-lost record is 8-10:

TRINITY- 8-10

Oct 31, 14 Archbishop Moeller, OH away (L) 14 - 17

Nov 1, 13 Archbishop Moeller, OH home (L) 14 - 42

Sep 7, 12 Cincinnati Elder, OH home (W) 45 - 21

Sep 14, 12 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH home (W) 14 - 13

Oct 27, 12 Archbishop Moeller, OH away (L) 42 - 45

Sep 9, 11 Cincinnati Elder, OH away (W) 56 - 7

Sep 16, 11 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (W) 17 - 7

Oct 28, 11 Archbishop Moeller, OH home (W) 49 - 14

Sep 10, 10 Cincinnati Elder, OH home (W) 22 - 20

Sep 17, 10 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH home (L) 10 - 17

Sep 11, 09 Cincinnati Elder, OH away (L) 7 - 26

Sep 18, 09 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 13 - 43

Sep 19, 08 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH home (W) 17 - 6

Sep 14, 07 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 31 - 47

Aug 30, 03 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH at Ryle (L) 17 - 24

Aug 31, 02 Cincinnati Elder, OH at Ryle (W) 44 - 20

Oct 16, 98 Cincinnati Elder, OH home (L) 14 - 46

Oct 23, 98 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 0 - 38

...And -- since you stated Lou vs Cincy schools and not just the GCL -- Trinity is 1-1 against Colerain for a total W-L record of 9-11 against Cincy schools altogether:

Sep 12, 14 Colerain, OH away (W) 36 - 27

Sep 13, 13 Colerain, OH home (L) 28 - 42

For additional consideration to prove my point of Louisville schools having trouble beating the GCL, I have St. X's tally below for a 2-7 record against Cincy schools:

ST X – 2-7

Sep 19, 14 Archbishop Moeller, OH home (L) 0 - 26

Oct 31, 14 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 6 - 24

Sep 20, 13 Archbishop Moeller, OH away (L) 12 - 24

Nov 1, 13 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH home (W) 24 - 16

Sep 14, 12 Archbishop Moeller, OH home (L) 27 - 34

Oct 26, 12 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 9 - 23

Sep 16, 11 Archbishop Moeller, OH away (L) 10 - 21

Oct 28, 11 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH home (W) 7 - 3

Sep 10, 10 Cincinnati St. Xavier, OH away (L) 13 - 32

Summary: The W-L total for the two best teams (in the recent past) in Louisville vs. Cincy schools is 10 wins 17 losses. I rest my case (cuz I'm a tired old man).

Edited by MEANGREENMACHINE

MGM, Rocks are 1-1 against Colerain. You have the correct result from last year but indicated Trinity was 0-2.

Wish we would have played Colerain this year. Have a feeling it would have been legendary. Could have replaced Lafayette game with Colerain but I'm sure it wasn't an easy task to come up with a schedule because of our new district.