Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals to cut AJ Hawk?

Featured Replies

It's only fair to think another linebacker will be cut once Burfict is activated, but which backer gets cut will be a tough choice. It won't be Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey or P.J. Dawson, and it probably won't be Emmanuel Lamur. It would be hard to cut Chris Carter since he's more of a defensive end.

 

All of this means AJ Hawk could be the odd man out, should the Bengals choose to cut a linebacker when adding Burfict to the roster. That's what Bengals radio color analyst Dave Lapham thinks could happen, and he said as much on Lance Mcalister's radio show Tuesday night.

 

You never want to see a veteran cut in the middle of a season, but there aren't many, if any other options for the Bengals to consider as Burfict's return inches closer.

 

Could Bengals cut AJ Hawk when Vontaze Burfict returns? - Cincy Jungle

  • Replies 41
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I wouldn't cut Hawk. As the weather turns colder I think Hawk becomes more valuable and just because Tez comes back doesn't mean he will last long.

 

I would be looking at the Defensive Line for a player to eliminate. May also look at WR.

 

What do you think?

I do not cut AJ Hawk either. What is the extent of Rey's injury from last week? Cutting a veteran like that may come back to bite you later on down the line. Is it for certain that Burfict will be coming back against the Steelers? It is my understanding that you have a week to evaluate said player before actually placing him on the roster, so who is to say he is ready?

 

These things usually have a way of working themselves out, so lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Yeah, I'm worried just how stable Burfict is going to be on his return.

 

As to the other positions you mentioned, could they move Mario Alford (WR) or Marcus Hardison (DT) to the practice squad, since they're rookies? Or since they've already been on the active roster, would it have to be an outright cut?

My first instinct would be in the DL or WR positions where there appears to be enough bodies. With Burfect's injury history I would keep as many LBs as possible. Unfortunately I do not know the contract situations in order to determine who we lose after this year. I would hate to cut a talent only to be looking at filling that position due to free agency next spring. I guess that's the nature of the NFL though.

Here's something to toss out there...the Bengals are being judged (by people here on BGP, as well as the national media) by how they do in the playoffs. Do you want a guy on your team that has not only been the playoffs before (which quite a few of the Bengals have), but also WON many of those playoff games (which many of the Bengals have not)?

 

I think he could potentially be worth more in the locker room and at practice during the months of December and January than he might be actually on Sundays. Heck, the guy's got a Super Bowl ring. Anybody else on the team got one of those?

Do we really know that Burfict will be back? Might make sense to move him to the DL for the remainder of the season.

 

Hawk is a local guy so I'm pulling for him.

  • Author
Here's something to toss out there...the Bengals are being judged (by people here on BGP, as well as the national media) by how they do in the playoffs. Do you want a guy on your team that has not only been the playoffs before (which quite a few of the Bengals have), but also WON many of those playoff games (which many of the Bengals have not)?

 

I think he could potentially be worth more in the locker room and at practice during the months of December and January than he might be actually on Sundays. Heck, the guy's got a Super Bowl ring. Anybody else on the team got one of those?

 

Good point.

I wouldn't cut Hawk. As the weather turns colder I think Hawk becomes more valuable and just because Tez comes back doesn't mean he will last long.

 

I would be looking at the Defensive Line for a player to eliminate. May also look at WR.

 

What do you think?

Is Greg Little still on the roster? Cut that fool. I'll be shocked if Burfict lasts 5 games.

Is Greg Little still on the roster? Cut that fool. I'll be shocked if Burfict lasts 5 games.

 

I think you will be shocked then...With that said I agree with you that I think Greg Little will be one of the guys cut, and I think one of the Defensive lineman will be cut. If I remember correctly they kept one more defensive lineman than they usually keep. So with Tez and the first round draft pick possibly coming back. I expect them to probably also release one of the defensive lineman and I think it will be Hunt that gets cut and Little.

  • Author

^ I believe so but he is always inactive.

^ I believe so but he is always inactive.

 

Little is one the team and I think it is a very high probability that he is the first one cut. Then depending on if our first round pick comes back, then I expect Hunt to be the one released. Or there will be someone that ends up with some sort of minor injury, but they will end up putting that guy on the IR for the remainder of the year so they don't have to cut that player.

  • Author
Little is one the team and I think it is a very high probability that he is the first one cut. Then depending on if our first round pick comes back, then I expect Hunt to be the one released. Or there will be someone that ends up with some sort of minor injury, but they will end up putting that guy on the IR for the remainder of the year so they don't have to cut that player.

 

Exactly my thinking when I started the thread.

Exactly my thinking when I started the thread.

 

Agreed! With Hawk having so much playoff experience, and with how banged up the Bengals linebackers were last year. I just don't see the Bengals taking a chance at being thin there again, especially they won't know for sure what they have in Burfict until he actually plays in games. Marcus Hunt would be the odd man out on the defensive side of the ball IMO. However NFL teams are creative, there will be someone who ends up with an simple injury that allows them to put them on the IR for the year.

  • Author
Agreed! With Hawk having so much playoff experience, and with how banged up the Bengals linebackers were last year. I just don't see the Bengals taking a chance at being thin there again, especially they won't know for sure what they have in Burfict until he actually plays in games. Marcus Hunt would be the odd man out on the defensive side of the ball IMO. However NFL teams are creative, there will be someone who ends up with an simple injury that allows them to put them on the IR for the year.

 

If the NFL was serious about doing the right thing they would put all teams on notice that have players coming off the IR that if the team does anything creative we are going to be up your Brady with an Indycheck.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.