Western Kentucky Power Rankings 08-23-15

Purple88

So this isn't a Top 10 ranking, it's a "Who had the best win this week" ranking? I get it now. IMO, while the SW win was a nice win, I've said all along that John Hardin was getting way too much hype and weren't as good as what they were made out to be. I expected a 2-3 TD win by SW in that game.

UK,

You can call it anything you like. The fact is that there is only 1 week in this season and that's what I used. John Hardin was ranked #1 in 4A in several polls by people much smarter than I. You said you expected SW to win the game by 14 to 21 points. I too said I thought they'd win by 14 to 17 (we have something in common here). South won by 31. As the season goes along, ALL weeks results from 2015 will be incorporated in these rankings.

If I got into an I think this team is better than that team just because I think it, BG would never leave the #1 slot. I'm taking my Purple colored glasses off and trying to be as absolutely fair to ALL teams for THIS year (not throwing in past records or tradition or anything) as I can.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PP88

I think you did a good job with the rankings.

If you look at where the teams were ranked in the preseason thread and you read the thoughts on the JH/SW game no one thought that SW would be as dominate as they were in the game. Some thought SW would win anywhere from 3 to 14 points not by 31.

By then rankings it was a 2 vs 3 game in 4A. The other games were #5 OHS in 5a vs #9 WCHS in 4a, and #2 BGHS in 5A vs #9 Monroe in 2a. Based on the rankings and classification both Bowling Green and OHS were suppose to win their games.

As we move through the season there will be common opponents between these teams and we will get to see how they stack up. It may turn out that the JH win wasn't as big as it appears right now then again it may turn out that it was.

Edited by jcarter
sp

Purple 88,

"Their win is better than yours"

By that logic Owensboro should be ahead of Bowling Green (warren central win is better than Monroe county) and I actually think the win over the dragons by OHS is just as good if not better than beating JH.

Why don't ya'll wait til they play each other in week 3. (4th Game). Best way to settle an argument.

Purple 88,

"Their win is better than yours"

By that logic Owensboro should be ahead of Bowling Green (warren central win is better than Monroe county) and I actually think the win over the dragons by OHS is just as good if not better than beating JH.

Warren Central is WAY DOWN.

The south/Bg thing can be talked about for eternity. I do know this, until they play none of us can say he is better than him...I also know if they played tomorrow I would not bet on either team to win. It would be an absolute battle. South is for real and BG is a juggernaut.

Gotcha Purple88,

Fair point back to you. You know compiling rankings is like being an umpire - you're going to tick someone off on a close play! Great job on all the reviews

Appreciate it Brown!:thumb:

I think Owensboro is one of the 4 teams that can win 5A this year with BG, Pulaski, and Highlands. If I had to pick one team on BG's schedule that I thought would straight up beat them at the start of the season, I would have said Owensboro. No slight to the other teams, but watching our game last year, I came away with alot more respect for the Red Devils.

An "umpire"; hadn't thought of it like that, but you're exactly right.

See ya on the 11th! Maybe we'll say hello before the game if you can make it. I plan on it, but with family you never know for 100%.

Most ridiculous poll ever. Putting South Warren ahead of a team(your team) that has lost two games in four years and destroyed a decent Monroe County squad is unbelievable. I think you're trying too hard to be fair. South Warren hasn't won anything. A win over a down John Hardin team is all it takes. Beating Paducah Tilghman last year means nothing. South Warren ranked over your own Purples is blasphemy!!! Say it ain't so...

Most ridiculous poll ever. Putting South Warren ahead of a team(your team) that has lost two games in four years and destroyed a decent Monroe County squad is unbelievable. I think you're trying too hard to be fair. South Warren hasn't won anything. A win over a down John Hardin team is all it takes. Beating Paducah Tilghman last year means nothing. South Warren ranked over your own Purples is blasphemy!!! Say it ain't so...
Purple,

This is the quote I have feared since I decided to put South ahead of BG:depressed:. You have a right to say everything in your quote and honestly I feel some of the same way. But being the Umpire as Brown has called me requires me to be as completely unbiased as I can be. My premise for putting South Warren above BG is not that I think SW would beat BG in a game (that will not happen and is a mute point). Basically SW beat the #3 4A team convincingly and BG beat the #9 2A team convincingly. When I weighed both together (remember these 2 games are the only ones I'm considering as this is a 2015 ranking), South Warren's win is slightly better after the first game of the season.

Let's not forget that last season SW dismantled the Paducah Tilghman team that just beat MCracken by 14 pts. Not to mention the 30 point thrashing over a really good 5A John Hardin team. If BG beats Christian County as easily as they beat a 2A Monroe County team that only had 1 win last year, then maybe you can talk about them being number 1. Remember, this Purple squad is nowhere near the same team as the past several years, so let them earn their stripes...

The Paducah team SW beat in the playoffs was a team that won games by being better athletically than those they beat. They really had no idea what their offense (wing T) was about. Watching them one got the idea that a five yard gain was a failure. Ball control meant nothing to them. They were a big play mentality with a grind it out offense.

It takes a year for a non-wing-T team to "get it". Maybe the PT boys have it ingrained now.

The Paducah team SW beat in the playoffs was a team that won games by being better athletically than those they beat. They really had no idea what their offense (wing T) was about. Watching them one got the idea that a five yard gain was a failure. Ball control meant nothing to them. They were a big play mentality with a grind it out offense.

It takes a year for a non-wing-T team to "get it". Maybe the PT boys have it ingrained now.

Very good points Macdon! I think Tilghman is a really dangerous team now that they have some confidence!