Western Kentucky Power Rankings 08-23-15

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2015 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – August 23, 2015 Edition

Well I hope you had a great opening weekend to the 2015 High School football season and hope you got to go see some of your favorite teams lace ‘em up one more time! We’ve gone from I think this and that to I saw this and that from THIS year’s squads.

The top story line this week is the tragic loss of Mr. Jayvon Quarles, Senior LB and FB for the Hopkinsville Tigers. In following the game and teams that we love, a truly devastating loss of life puts things in crystal clear perspective. In honor of Mr. Quarles and the entire Hopkinsville community, the Western Kentucky Game of the Week will now be known as the Jayvon Quarles – Western Kentucky Game of the Week.

Week 0 Game of the Week: Paducah Tilghman at McCracken County

Paducah Tilghman 21 – McCracken County 7: Well the Blue Tornado’s sent me a message that they are pretty darn good this early in the season. Jesse Dunigan was likely the best player on the field and scored all the PT TDs. The Blue Tornados outgained McCracken 289 to 210 and out-rushed them 208 to 113. That rushing advantage led to a 34 minute time of possession for the 48 minute game. Paducah Tilghman claims bragging rights for the second time in the young 3 game series with their intra-county rivals! Back to the drawing boards for the Mustangs.

Jayvon Quarles - Week 1 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: Bowling Green (5A) (1-0) at Christian County (5A) (1-0) at the Stadium of Champions in Hopkinsville next Saturday night August 29, 2015 at 5:30 pm. Will the Colonels “Young Guns” out duel the Purples? This is a matchup of 2 Top 10 Teams in the West

Honorable Mention: Caldwell County (3A) (0-1) at Franklin Simpson (4A) (1-0) – Caldwell doesn’t want to start the season 0-2. Franklin Simpson is out to improve off a solid win last week.

August 23, 2015 Top 10:

10) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – Preseason Rank: 10 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 46-13 over 1A Louisville Holy Cross (0-1). Ray Zuberer is off and running again in 2015 with 6 TDs in the FIRST HALF and 7 all together to completely overwhelm LHC. Week 1: At Home vs. 6A Daviess County (1-0).

9) Franklin Simpson (4A) – Preseason Rank: Next 10 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 23-14 over Portland, TN (0-1). Welcome to the Top 10 Wildcats! According to Macdon, FS gained 379 yards on the ground to take control of this re-kindled border battle. SO Saul Brady had 123 yards on 11 carries to lead the way. Week 1: At Home vs. 3A Caldwell County (0-1).

8) Hopkinsville (4A) – Preseason Rank: 8 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 48-21 over 5A Graves County (0-1). A tip of the hat to the entire Tiger football team and coaches. To lose a team member in maybe the most tragic way you can, so close to the start of the season, plus you miss your scrimmage and still recover enough to come out and defeat a game Graves County squad says a lot about your character. Week 1: At Home (Stadium of Champions) vs West Creek, TN (0-1).

7) Murray (2A) – Preseason Rank: 7 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 49-3 over West Green, TN (0-1). SR QB Desjahvonni Miles didn’t disappoint in his final season opener with a couple long TD runs and a few nice TD passes. Running clock almost at halftime. 2A WEST is LOADED! Week 1: Home against 4A Calloway County (0-1).

6) Christian County (5A) – Preseason Rank: 6 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 23-21 over 3A Caldwell County (0-1). Not exactly what I was expecting from the Colonels, but that’s why you play. Christian County amassed 227 yards on the ground and only 56 in the air. Still, to go to Caldwell County, a team I still think is a pretty good team, and win is impressive for a young team. Week 1: Jayvon Quarles Western Kentucky Game of the Week: At Home vs 5A Bowling Green (1-0). Could be the first of two 2015 meetings between these old foes. Can the Colonels bring out the air raid sirens against the Purples?

5) Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Preseason Rank: Next 10 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 21-7 over 6A McCracken County (0-1). Well Tilghman fans, I didn’t give you much love in the Pre-Season putting you in the Next 10 range of teams. But this win to me does more than just put you at 1 and 0. You go to 2-1 in this locally important rivalry. You dominate a 6A team at the line of scrimmage and gain a 34 to 14 minute advantage in time of possession. Your senior quarterback not only should lead you; he did lead you! He scored every TD and was the general on the field. Look out 3A – This was a statement win for the Tornados and Coach Rodgers. Week 1: At 6A Central Hardin (0-1). This should be a great game as Tilghman has the momentum and CH is stinging a bit from a classic bowl battle vs Boyle County, but will rebound.

4) Owensboro (5A) – Preseason Rank: 4 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 29-7 over 4A Warren Central (0-1). According to the Riherds KHSAA website, Owensboro had 214 yards on the ground and held WC to 18 yards for the game! They passed for 84 yards and gave up 5 yards! WELL, the defense seems to be in mid-season form. TJ James didn’t disappoint with over 100 yards and 3 TDs. Stout team. Week 1: Home against 4A Madisonville North Hopkins (0-1).

3) Mayfield (2A) – Preseason Rank: 2 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 42-0 over 3A Fort Campbell (0-1). Authorities at Ft Campbell may still be sending drones over Toothpick and Rookie57’s houses as a part of their clearance screening this past weekend! JR RB Trajon Bright is already a star, but he will continue to shine this year. Mayfield’s offense was very balanced with 136 yards on the ground and 190 in the air. Don’t shoot me Mayfield fans – see #1 script as to these ranking modifications. Week 1: At 5A Marshall County (0-0).

2) Bowling Green (5A) – Preseason Rank: 1 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 44-7 over 2A Monroe County (0-1). Well I’ve gone from homer to in exile this week “dropping” the Purples to #2 . BG looked very good in their scrimmage at 6A Louisville Manual and looked even better in their Rafferty’s Bowl win last night. Clark Payne (JR QB) was terrific and extremely accurate going 10-13 completing passes to 6 different receivers. JR Jamale Carruthers was fantastic rushing for 124 yards on 8 carries and 2 TDs. Defense was sound and really happy for JR kicker Lee Ramsey with a 37 yard field goal. Can’t remember the last time BG had a field goal. Don’t shoot me Purple fans – see #1 script as to these ranking modifications. Week 1: At #6 5A Christian County (1-0). This is the Jayvon Quarles Western Kentucky Game of the Week featuring 2 Top 10 Western Kentucky squads.

1) South Warren (4A) – 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 43-12 over 4A John Hardin (0-1). I was fortunate to see this Rafferty’s Bowl game and was my first time seeing the Spartans in person. This team is extremely well coached. Their offense is balanced and has multiple playmakers. Their defense was even more impressive in their pursuit of the ball and have a true Freshman starting at nose tackle. SR Devante Colton is really good. He is likely one of the top 5 middle linebackers in the state and could be a top 10 power rusher in the state as well. JR QB Ryder Litten was very deceptive. He can run it and pass it and puts a ton of pressure on the defense. I have a lot of respect for the John Hardin program and expected this game to be won by South Warren by 14 to 17 points, but the 31 points even at this early stage of the season shows me this team can go all the way. Purple and Cardinal fans be mad at me if you will, but this win was better than either of the other wins this week. Week 1: At 5A Owensboro Apollo (1-0).

Week 0 Players of the Week:

1) Ray Zuberer – QB - Owensboro Catholic – 6 first half TDs and 7 for the game!

2) Jesse Dunigan – QB – Paducah Tilghman – scored all 3 TDs for the Blue Tornado’s against their 6A neighbors.

3) Ryder Litten – QB – South Warren – passed for TDs and ran for TDs and kept the John Hardin Bulldog defense guessing all night.

4) Jamale Carruthers – RB – Bowling Green – 124 yards on 8 carries and 2 TDs

Week 0 “Big Droppers”

McCracken County (6A) – Down – Well back to the ole drawing board for the Mustangs. Losing to your 3A intra-county rivals on your field to start off the season is tough. This is supposed to be a Top 10 6A club. They can be and I expect they will be later in the year, but they aren’t close right now.

Warren East (4A) – Down – It’s not that they lost to Greenwood who is a decent 5A school; it’s that they lost by 30 to a 5A school that got schooled in their scrimmage a week earlier to a 2A school. Hard to figure even though East has a new coach.

Week 0 “Big Risers”

Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Up – Heads up 3A – the Blue Tornado’s are much better than I gave them credit for. HUGE win to start the season!

Adair County (3A) – Up – BIG win over neighbor Taylor County 28-6! Nice work Indians! Dark horse in the making.

Russellville (1A) – Up – Beat 3A Trigg County 48-19 to get the season off in the right direction. This team is on the cusp of the Top 10. Best 1A team in the West!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) Owensboro (5A) – Preseason Rank: 4 - 2015 Record 1-0; District Record 0-0] Week 0 Results: Win: 29-7 over 4A Warren Central (0-1). According to the Riherds KHSAA website, Owensboro had 214 yards on the ground and held WC to 18 yards for the game! They passed for 84 yards and gave up 5 yards! WELL, the defense seems to be in mid-season form. TJ James didn’t disappoint with over 100 yards and 3 TDs. Stout team. Week 1: Home against 4A Madisonville North Hopkins (0-1)

We talked about it in the game thread quite a bit, but agreed that while Owensboro held Central to a still-impressive 102 yards, it was far off the totals that Owensboro put up for themselves.

We talked about it in the game thread quite a bit, but agreed that while Owensboro held Central to a still-impressive 102 yards, it was far off the totals that Owensboro put up for themselves.

DFire, I knew that couldn't be exactly right, but couldn't track down the info in time to change it. Thanks for squaring away.:thumb:

Wow. SW is a great team no doubt, but ahead of the 1a champs Mayfield, the 4a runner-up OHS and bowling green? John Hardin was very Mediocre last year, advanced in the playoffs but didn't really beat anyone.

I don't know what Mayfield and BG return but I know OHS returns a lot. I don't see how you could rank them any higher than 4th right now.

Wow. SW is a great team no doubt, but ahead of the 1a champs Mayfield, the 4a runner-up OHS and bowling green? John Hardin was very Mediocre last year, advanced in the playoffs but didn't really beat anyone.

I don't know what Mayfield and BG return but I know OHS returns a lot. I don't see how you could rank them any higher than 4th right now.

The opponents that you quote are better than John Hardin? Remember this is a fluid list about this year. This isnt a knock on O, BG or M. It is after the first game and their win is better than yours. Thats it. Its not about what you return and what you "think" about your team. Its what you have done THIS year with THIS squad.

Let's not forget that last season SW dismantled the Paducah Tilghman team that just beat MCracken by 14 pts. Not to mention the 30 point thrashing over a really good 5A John Hardin team. If BG beats Christian County as easily as they beat a 2A Monroe County team that only had 1 win last year, then maybe you can talk about them being number 1. Remember, this Purple squad is nowhere near the same team as the past several years, so let them earn their stripes...

Purple 88,

"Their win is better than yours"

By that logic Owensboro should be ahead of Bowling Green (warren central win is better than Monroe county) and I actually think the win over the dragons by OHS is just as good if not better than beating JH.

Purple 88,

By that logic Owensboro should be ahead of Bowling Green (warren central win is better than Monroe county) and I actually think the win over the dragons is just as good if not better than JH.

???? Have you watched any of these teams actually play this season or preseason?

The opponents that you quote are better than John Hardin? Remember this is a fluid list about this year. This isnt a knock on O, BG or M. It is after the first game and their win is better than yours. Thats it. Its not about what you return and what you "think" about your team. Its what you have done THIS year with THIS squad.

So this isn't a Top 10 ranking, it's a "Who had the best win this week" ranking? I get it now. IMO, while the SW win was a nice win, I've said all along that John Hardin was getting way too much hype and weren't as good as what they were made out to be. I expected a 2-3 TD win by SW in that game.

Purple 88,

"Their win is better than yours"

By that logic Owensboro should be ahead of Bowling Green (warren central win is better than Monroe county) and I actually think the win over the dragons by OHS is just as good if not better than beating JH.

Brown,

Fair question and I do believe WC is better than Monroe County (no offense TSY). But the nuetralizing factors are that the WC/O game was 16 to 7 at the start of the 4th Quarter (still relatively in question). Yes, O continued to wear Central down to their credit.

Conversely, BG had a running clock with 10 minutes left to go in the 3rd quarter and Monroe crossed the 50 twice on BGs D starters.

Both WC and Monroe County were ranked #9 in their respective classes.

My opinion is that is a push.