Fargo (Season 2)

NEERFAN

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to figure out the UFO thing in this show..which led to the following types of thoughts.

Every character has something coming that they can't stop. The Solversons have the cancer death coming. They are putting their faith in the pill, which we know is not going to work, and the whole family is struggling with this, in particular Lou, which gets us to the bathroom scene. He wants to know how this is gonna work, to which Reagan gives the answer which is not an answer. I took the silent "shrug" by Reagan to be an affirmation that things can work out while offering, obviously, zero explanation how.

The Gerhardts have Kansas City mob coming, and are having different reactions/awareness to that. The mom knows that they can't win, and the cost of the war, but can't stop it either. They are putting their faith into violence and I guess we will see how that works out.

Ed and whatshername can now see whats coming. Ed put his faith in the shop and in having a baby, only to see the shop gone, and still unaware about the birth control. In any event, Ed takes the attitude of "gotta try" His wife wants to run, changes her mind, she is putting her faith into going to California, or a "better me."

On top of all of it, they are putting the stuff about Reagan in there, and he did inspire hope about things getting better, for those old enough to remember. And they are putting the stuff about Camus, and The Myth of Sysyphus in there. All to do with futility of human endeavors, and the end result.

So what are the UFOs? Are they meant to be something we see, but don't know what it is, so we make up something. "oh lights. must be some aliens." My best guess now is that the UFOs are symbolic of something coming, but we can't quite make it out, can't figure it out, and whatever it is, the meaning is lost to us until it is too late.

Anyway, my thoughts, though I read a bunch on The AV Club website and so some of that may be stuff I saw there too.

I had fallen behind but just binged watched 5 episodes last night and this morning. The second season has been much better that I anticipated. I still miss the Billy Bob character though. Didn't see that coming from the butcher at the end of the latest episode.

• 2 weeks later...