• Not real dressy, but buisness casual
    • shorts/sweats/tee shirt person, everywhere

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are degrees of dressing up. I enjoy dressing for whatever the occasion calls for. The only line I draw is any outfit requiring heels. My knees have gotten so bad. The left knee cap now slips out of place at least twice a month with nothing more strenuous involved than some strenuous yard work. So, no little black dress and strappy heels for me.

C'mon, don't you know you're supposed to sacrifice comfort for outward appearance? Any self-respecting, domineering husband would do the right thing and get a slim-fit, flesh-colored kneebrace to help his gal soldier on through, just so she can look marvelous.

Always remember the immortal words of Fernando:

"It's better to look good than to feel good."

And another classic pop culture quote seems appropriate for this situation, from the totally awesome Brad Hamilton:

"Learn it. Know it. Live it."

I wore a shirt and tie every work day for many years and about 6 months before I got out of the banking business, we got a new boss who changed it to business casual. It was a weird adjustment. Now nice jeans, good nikes, and an Under Armour hoodie is about my max. With the 1 exception of a funeral for a former boss, I wore khakis and a polo.

Honestly, I'd love to see us move to a society where the whole "dressed-to-the-nines" thing fell out of favor in the business world (OK, for guys, anyway). Like I'm incapable of doing fantastic work just because I prefer flip-flops, T-shirt, hooping shorts and a ballcap. :rolleyes:

Then again, I might lose one of my special joys in life if that happened, which is shocking stuffy suit-types into accepting the fact that just because I sometimes play dumb, frequently talk like a hick, and may look like a "lesser-than" to their refined sensibilities, they underestimate me at their own risk.

I have NEVER owned a suit.

I have 1 tie, had since high school.

The only time I get "duded up" is for a wedding or when I'm a Eucharistic Minister at church, and all that is is a nice pair of dress pants and a button down shirt and my only tie. :thumb:

But, damn I look good when I get "dressed to the nines". ;)

Not going to lie every man has to own a suit. A little disappointed LB13.

Could be a generation thing but I love buying a new suit.

Used to get great deals on suits over at Palm Beach in Newport and then head over to the Johnston & Murphy shoe store across the street back in the mid 90s. Owned as many as 5 suits back in the day.

I have downsized to dress slacks, sportcoats, and ties for weddings and funerals. And haven't owned a suit in at least ten years. I can't go without the Johnston & Murphy wingtips and I have a very comfortable pair of Rockport dress shoes as well.

For the most part I'm a jean/khaki and knit/collared short sleeve/flannel shirt-gym shoe guy based on what season we're in. Work clothes are casual.

Haven't really thought about until now. I'm kinda shocked I've been able to pull off the no suit dress code for as long as I have. I'm just not in the business arenas I used to be in that warranted a schmantzy wardrobe anymore....and I'm good with that! I prefer a more simplified wardrobe...

:thumb:

I'm sure it looks something like this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51904[/ATTACH]

Replace the dude in the front right of that picture's shirt with a black one and you've got what I wore Saturday night to a friend's birthday get together at the Banks. :lol2:

That's honestly my standard go-to for going out. Nice shorts (have about 6 pairs, all in different colors) and either a button-up or a polo, and always tucked in. :idunno:

I thought you meant in women's clothes...but the answer is no either way. :)

I worked many years in the dress code era of jacket or suit, button-down shirt and tie. I still have to dress up for meeting. On one hand, it looks good....and nothing like a sharp-dressed person. However, I would wear decent shorts and a company polo every day if I could.

Replace the dude in the front right of that picture's shirt with a black one and you've got what I wore Saturday night to a friend's birthday get together at the Banks. :lol2:

That's honestly my standard go-to for going out. Nice shorts (have about 6 pairs, all in different colors) and either a button-up or a polo, and always tucked in. :idunno:

Sweater-vest if it's a little breezy? Or maybe a long-sleeved one draped over your shoulders, with the arms tied off across your chest?

I work from home. Gym shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops are what you find me in 90% of the time. When I "dress" up to go out with the lady it's typically jeans, flannel shirt, and boots or flip flops dependent on weather and venue.

The office requires jeans and a shirt without logos. I have ~ 10 t-shirts of varying colors that are soft and comfortable which I wear to the office when I have to go in.

I even find myself wearing my "formal" t-shirts --- as I like to refer to them --- to many occasions that some would dress up for.

However, I used to have to dress up for work all the time and still own a good portion of that clothing so I can dress up if I have to. Two years of almost complete work-from-home + triathlon training have made me care a ton less. As long as my clothes are clean, wrinkle-free, and well-fitting I don't really care that much.

Funny thing is, TONS and TONS of guys have no clue how to buy clothes that fit properly and look good -- especially the more "dressier" clothes --- so they just look ridiculous anyways.

I've never understood the concept of guys with big, massive bellies like mine tucking in their shirts. That's a great way to make sure and draw all kinds of attention to your gut, and it just looks ridiculous to see somebody like Chris Christie with his huge gut hanging out over his belt, with his Oxford's buttons struggling mightily with containment.

I'll start tucking in my shirts after I lose another 50, if that ever happens.