NFL Upholds Brady Suspension

Just so we're clear....As it stands right now, Week 5 Greg Hardy will be on the field against the Patriots, but Tom Brady won't be. In the NFL's eyes threatening to kill a woman and beating her to a pulp is less egregious of a violation than being "generally aware" (their words, not mine) of deflating of PSI and destroying a phone.

Let's just think about that for a second.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which is worse for the reputation of Tom Brady:

1. Admit you told the ball boys to deflate the balls.

2. Destroy cell phone day before talking to investigator and refuse to cooperate.

Both are the same, he is a cheater and will always be remembered as a cheater period.

The sad thing is, just like Pete Rose, if he would have cooperated fully and told the truth from the start this would all be behind him. No matter what some people would always label him a cheater and others won't, that woudn't have changed if he was cooperative from day 1. The difference is this would have all been behind him and it wouldn't be in the news today. Come clean right off the bat and take your lumps and move on. This situation however makes him worse. destroying the phone and then saying he always destroys his phones when he replaces it was just dumb to say. first off, who destroys their phone AND SIM card when they replace their phone. Just dumb.

Edited by Hellbird

Just so we're clear....As it stands right now, Week 5 Greg Hardy will be on the field against the Patriots, but Tom Brady won't be. In the NFL's eyes threatening to kill a woman and beating her to a pulp is less egregious of a violation than being "generally aware" (their words, not mine) of deflating of PSI and destroying a phone.

Let's just think about that for a second.

Again, but I'm not surprised the Brady backers look at these two things as being the same thing. Brady cheated the game, Hardy didn't. Goodell oversee's the game and that is his job, what Brady did was cheating the game that the commisioner oversee's. Threatening to kill a woman may be worse in Life, but when your job is to keep the integrity of THE GAME and someone tries to cheat at THE GAME you are overssing, then that is worse as far as it is related to the game of football.

No one is saying that beating a woman is not a serious issue, but that is what the police and courts are for, it is not the commisioner's job to put Hardy in jail. Last I checked when we get a call at work for a domestic violence incident, we don't call the NFL offices to have them discipline the accused, we send the police. So quit saying "Apparently deflate gate is as bad as threatening to kill a woman" They are 2 separate things. In the eyes of the NFL offices, cheating is worse for the game than what goes on outside the game in criminal court.

Using your comparison then you are saying Betting on Baseball is worse than beating a woman. The reason I say this is because there are a lot of woman beaters in the baseball hall of fame yet someone who bet on baseball is banned for life. Why do you think that is? I will tell you, it is because one is directly related to the game of baseball itself and the other has nothing to do with baseball.

Brady Offered to Help NFL Gather Missing Text Messages

Specifically, it can be found at footnote 11 on page 12: “After the hearing and after the submission of post-hearing briefs, Mr. Brady’s certified agents offered to provide a spreadsheet that would identify all of the individuals with whom Mr. Brady had exchanged text messages during [the relevant time] period; the agents suggested that the League could contact those individuals and request production of any relevant text messages that they retained. Aside from the fact that, under Article 46, Section 2(f) of the CBA, such information could and should have been provided long before the hearing, the approach suggested in the agents’ letter — which would require tracking down numerous individuals and seeking consent from each to retrieve from their cellphones detailed information about their text message communications during the relevant period — is simply not practical.”

In English, here’s what the footnote means: Although the text messages couldn’t be retrieved directly from Brady’s phone, his agents provided all of the phone numbers with which Brady exchanged text messages. His agents also said that the league could attempt to get the actual text messages from the phones of the people with whom Brady communicated, but the league refused to attempt to try, claiming that it would be too hard to track down the various people and to persuade them to cooperate.

If I had to bet I say Brady wins in court.

He could very well win in court, but then again most people thought his suspension would be reduced also and it wasn't.

I would like to know if in court, who has the burden of proof in this case? Is it Brady who has to prove the NFL was wrong or vice versa?

The reason I ask is because the league has the collective bargaining agreement signed by the players association, who by the way is the one taking it to court on Brady's behalf, not Brady himself, and in that agreement it states the commissioners office will be the party that investigates and hands down discipline on all matters and their word is final. so I'm not really sure what they hope to accomplish in federal court. What is the players association's case? Are they trying to say that Brady had no involvement? If that is the case then they have a uphill battle because everything that could have been used to prove his innocence has been destroyed by him.

I just see him losing unless he can get the 2 equipment guys to admit in court under oath that Brady had no idea what was going on.

Specifically, it can be found at footnote 11 on page 12: “After the hearing and after the submission of post-hearing briefs, Mr. Brady’s certified agents offered to provide a spreadsheet that would identify all of the individuals with whom Mr. Brady had exchanged text messages during [the relevant time] period; the agents suggested that the League could contact those individuals and request production of any relevant text messages that they retained. Aside from the fact that, under Article 46, Section 2(f) of the CBA, such information could and should have been provided long before the hearing, the approach suggested in the agents’ letter — which would require tracking down numerous individuals and seeking consent from each to retrieve from their cellphones detailed information about their text message communications during the relevant period — is simply not practical.”

In English, here’s what the footnote means: Although the text messages couldn’t be retrieved directly from Brady’s phone, his agents provided all of the phone numbers with which Brady exchanged text messages. His agents also said that the league could attempt to get the actual text messages from the phones of the people with whom Brady communicated, but the league refused to attempt to try, claiming that it would be too hard to track down the various people and to persuade them to cooperate.

He refused to turn over his phone, even the "new" phone he had when Wells asked for it during their interview. Sorry, of course Brady is going to tell the public he offered to do anything possible but the facts don't support his side of the story at all. Brady when his agent says he offered to give a spreadsheet of everyone Brady had contacted etc. but refused to turn over the phone itself is just like Hillary Clinton saying she gave printouts of all her emails that were on her computer but refused to turn over the computer itself. That makes it pretty easy to only supply the info that is not damning while deleting any and all info that is harmful to him.

The only problem with this is since he did destroy his phone. How do people know he is being truthful when he states what numbers he texted. I mean he would know exactly what people he texted regarding deflating footballs. So he could give all these numbers out and convenietly leave out the numbers of the people he may have texted that stuff too. So him saying he would give up the numbers he texted means nothing. Because it would be very easy for him to leave out the numbers that he may have texted regarding that.

Brady is smart because he tries to act like he is fully cooperating while at the same time making sure they can't find definite proof against him. It's pretty evident he knew about the balls and probably had been common practice for years and not a one time thing. However there will never be definite proof and he has made sure of that. So he will win in court most likely. So kudos to him for being smart and covering his tracks though but doesnt mean he is innocent.

The only problem with this is since he did destroy his phone. How do people know he is being truthful when he states what numbers he texted. I mean he would know exactly what people he texted regarding deflating footballs. So he could give all these numbers out and convenietly leave out the numbers of the people he may have texted that stuff too. So him saying he would give up the numbers he texted means nothing. Because it would be very easy for him to leave out the numbers that he may have texted regarding that.

Brady is smart because he tries to act like he is fully cooperating while at the same time making sure they can't find definite proof against him. It's pretty evident he knew about the balls and probably had been common practice for years and not a one time thing. However there will never be definite proof and he has made sure of that. So he will win in court most likely. So kudos to him for being smart and covering his tracks though but doesnt mean he is innocent.

They asked him to give them everything and they would trust that what he gave was indeed everything.

So how exactly is what he did any different?

They asked him to give them everything and they would trust that what he gave was indeed everything.

So how exactly is what he did any different?

It's simple because you have to trust the word of the accused and there would be no proof. Brady is a smart guy and he knows with his phone destroyed no one would ever know if he truly gave all the numbers he texted during that time. He would give them what he wants to give and nothing that would hurt him.

When this first happened if he just came out and said he liked it under deflated that's fine because its refs fault for not catching this process during games. However instead of admitting it he wanted to protect his image and has gone out to make sure they can't prove anything. Then him destroying his phone right before wells got to it, looks very bad. Its like the people who did steroids and deny deny deny until someone was able to prove it. Brady knows he protected himself and no one will ever be able to prove it now. So yes I don't think anyone with common sense would actually believe he will give up numbers that would hurt him now because without it there will never be proof.

It's simple because you have to trust the word of the accused and there would be no proof. Brady is a smart guy and he knows with his phone destroyed no one would ever know if he truly gave all the numbers he texted during that time. He would give them what he wants to give and nothing that would hurt him.

When this first happened if he just came out and said he liked it under deflated that's fine because its refs fault for not catching this process during games. However instead of admitting it he wanted to protect his image and has gone out to make sure they can't prove anything. Then him destroying his phone right before wells got to it, looks very bad. Its like the people who did steroids and deny deny deny until someone was able to prove it. Brady knows he protected himself and no one will ever be able to prove it now. So yes I don't think anyone with common sense would actually believe he will give up numbers that would hurt him now because without it there will never be proof.

He did what they asked him to do. They never asked him for the phone.

He did what they asked him to do. They never asked him for the phone.

yes, yes they did. They asked him for the phone during his interview. Wells even said Brady and his lawyer could be present as he looked through the phone.

You know who is REALLY upset about this phone issue?

Samsung

When I saw that I was wondering if that was an advertisement for iPhone (Apple). Seemed too random for me to specifically say he ditched the Samsung for the iPhone 6. In return Apple guarantees a base salary plus any lost wages Brady may incur. Genius.