Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Five Most Iconic Programs Of Kentucky

Featured Replies

For Today's installment we will define the Top 5 Football Programs that personify Kentucky to the rest of the HS Football world.

 

The Criteria I Used:

- Trophies Matter... self explanatory... cannot take a program serious who doesn't have a trophy case that is stocked up

- Recent relevance matters. General Steel may have shaped our nation, but corporations like Google and GE are more iconic in today's culture because of their relevance in the short term.

- With that said, a great tradition reigns supreme. Flashes in the pan come and go, but programs who have been elite for decades transcend.

- Contribution outside of W's and L's are factored in. Head Coach prestige, D-1 players, NFL players, and competing on the Regional or National level all are factors

 

 

 

 

 

#5 Boyle County Rebels

7 State Titles

1415300662_rebels_boyle_county_boys_varsity_football_fall_14-15.jpg

 

This was the toughest selection, and probably the most controversial.

 

Boyle does not have the pedigree of wins or championships as many others that are also worthy. They are the epitome of "New Money". With that said it is hard to argue they are not one of the most iconic current programs. All 7 of their state titles have came over the past 15 years and they have arguably the most recognizable name in the coaching ranks. What really propels Boyle beyond seemingly more deserving counterparts (including their cross town rival Danville) is the number of major D-1 players and even NFL success. Names like Tamme, Begley, Leffew, Dawson, Aumiller.. even a Brandon Smith who had major success at WKU.

Edited by ATLCat

  • Replies 109
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

#4 Mayfield Cardinals

11 State Titles

1ozwwe.AuSt.79.jpg

 

The picture of consistency and the model for small school success. The Cardinals have won Championships in each of the past 5 decades. Three separate times have they went Back to Back. For a small school, let alone a small school in the somewhat rural reaches of Western Kentucky, to be able to maintain such success despite the ups and downs of a smaller talent pool speaks volumes. What further enhances the Mayfield resume is the fact they have built their dynasty playing all comers of all sizes including top programs from several surrounding states.

  • Author

#3 St. Xavier Tigers

12 State Titles

 

1c4VdZ.AuSt.79.jpeg

 

The "big school" class of Kentucky has been ruled with an iron fist by two rival programs. Despite sharing a talent pool with their bitter rival , St. X has carved themselves firmly into Kentucky's Mount Rushmore with their own success. Like Mayfield the Tigers enjoyed 5 straight decades of winning at least one State Title.. though they have yet to win one in the 2010's. The Tigers have also became a springboard program sending numerous players on to successful collegiate or even professional careers.

  • Author

#2 Highlands Bluebirds

23 State Titles

-kyfootball4.jpg20131122.jpg

 

The truth be told there are only two teams who reign supreme at the top. Highlands is the definition of a juggernaut. Six consecutive decades of Championship football. Multi-Year runs of consecutive titles. Iconic individual players and NFL studs. Perhaps the most accomplished coach in Kentucky History prior to retirement. In addition, Highlands has never steared from competition playing the best Cincy had to offer and even extending their prowess to a National level in the past handful of years.

  • Author

#1 Trinity Shamrocks

23 State Titles

9beca750-6116-e211-b4bb-002655e6c126_original.jpg

 

It is hard to compare to Highlands' resume. With that said, Trinity is the clear Flagship Program of Kentucky football. Everything I said for Highlands you can duplicate. Trinity has also had their own legendary coach and their own NFL stars.

 

What separates Trinity is their National Branding. The Shamrocks have honed their skill against some of the top programs in the Country and performed admirably. The Rocks even have laid claim to Final national Rankings in the Top 25 in the country and even a couple times near the very top. Though tied with Highlands for the Most State Titles, Trinity has done so despite sharing the spotlight with St. Xavier and Male in their own city (A legitimate Top 10 program as well).

  • Author

Other Top Contenders:

Beechwood

Danville

Male

Bowling Green

  • Author

Does Boyle County belong over Danville?

 

Should Mayfield be in over Beechwood? Should Mayfield even be in the Top 5 at all?

Saint X

Trinity

FT Highlands

Boyle Co

Mayfield

No particualar order

For the 5th spot, flip of a coin bt Bowling Green and Boyle I'm guessing?

 

If we are talking the last 10 years, I say:

 

T

Highlands

BG

Central

Mayfield

 

(feels criminal leaving Belfry a off)

 

...and, probably in that order.

 

Just depends on the order of importance in your criteria. Give each of them points and see what you come up with.

 

Great list and articles, though. I'm sure I speak for everybody in saying I've really enjoyed them.

  • Author
For the 5th spot, flip of a coin bt Bowling Green and Boyle I'm guessing?

 

If we are talking the last 10 years, I say:

 

T

Highlands

BG

Central

Mayfield

 

(feels criminal leaving Belfry a off)

 

...and, probably in that order.

 

Just depends on the order of importance in your criteria. Give each of them points and see what you come up with.

 

Great list and articles, though. I'm sure I speak for everybody in saying I've really enjoyed them.

 

Thank you!

 

Gong to keep a steady stream of these for the next week or so... try to give us all a little fodder for debate before anticipation of the season fires up.

Does Boyle County belong over Danville?

 

Should Mayfield be in over Beechwood? Should Mayfield even be in the Top 5 at all?

 

I am a BC grad. I appreciate the ranking. But I find it tough to be in over Danville. Danville is not the same Ads team the last 10 years. But they have 10 titles from 1962 to 2003. I think they have only a couple of losing seasons in the history of the program. HISTORY.

 

They have had a few teams that would rank in the pantheon of All Time Greatest Top 50 in KY history. Produced great players and won titles under three different Head Coaches.

For the 5th spot, flip of a coin bt Bowling Green and Boyle I'm guessing?

 

If we are talking the last 10 years, I say:

 

T

Highlands

BG

Central

Mayfield

 

(feels criminal leaving Belfry a off)

 

...and, probably in that order.

 

Just depends on the order of importance in your criteria. Give each of them points and see what you come up with.

 

Great list and articles, though. I'm sure I speak for everybody in saying I've really enjoyed them.

 

I like your last 10 years list. Very good.

Well obviously, I think your lists have been excellent and spot on! Thanks for compiling and sharing them with us!

 

Fear the Bird! :angrybird12:

Does Boyle County belong over Danville?

 

Should Mayfield be in over Beechwood? Should Mayfield even be in the Top 5 at all?

 

Without a doubt Mayfield should be on the list. The only knock in the grading criteria utilized is the off the field impact, which naturally they should have less since they are much smaller than the schools being ranked against. In some ways that makes their program even more impressive.

I'm just happy we finally made a list.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.