June 23, 201511 yr Perhaps apples to oranges. Some cities would take an obvious racist murder of innocents and denigrate into riots. Just my thoughts. It is , indeed, apples and oranges.
June 23, 201511 yr I was in Charleston last week when this happened ... and for 3 days of the after math. Let me tell you makes me sick ... the news coverage for this situation. There were reporters on the street trying to bait race arguments amongst different races, drew conclusions about things that were completely off base and never happened ... completely pathetic. At the same time ... the people of Charleston (to me anyway) were 100% first class. I can't tell you how many times I witnessed all races coming together ... naturally ... the racist aspect of this situation is something that must be dealt with. But the people of Charleston were much more concerned with taking care of their city and especially people who were in from out of the area. From the beginning--they refused to let the situation define their city. It is an absolute shame that the news stations didn't just sit back ... and watch the city come together. If I had a dollar for every time a Charleston native (black, white, brown, whatever) gave me a hug ... and thanked me for being there (and I was freaking on vacation) ... we could throw a heck of a party. With that said ... back to the news people. It is eventually going to take someone making a very tough decision (from a national news channel) to not glorify a mass shooting/incident like this. That may be impossible ... but every time CNN, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC does their crappy full court press ... it just gives the psychos exactly what they want: a platform for attention for their jacked up cause. So ... that is what I walked away with ... the news channels breed this crap because their give the shooters/psychos/deranged so much freaking attention for their act. I have no clue how to change that ... but they breed a TON of this type of stuff with their horrible coverage.
June 23, 201511 yr I was in Charleston last week when this happened ... and for 3 days of the after math. Let me tell you makes me sick ... the news coverage for this situation. There were reporters on the street trying to bait race arguments amongst different races, drew conclusions about things that were completely off base and never happened ... completely pathetic. At the same time ... the people of Charleston (to me anyway) were 100% first class. I can't tell you how many times I witnessed all races coming together ... naturally ... the racist aspect of this situation is something that must be dealt with. But the people of Charleston were much more concerned with taking care of their city and especially people who were in from out of the area. From the beginning--they refused to let the situation define their city. It is an absolute shame that the news stations didn't just sit back ... and watch the city come together. If I had a dollar for every time a Charleston native (black, white, brown, whatever) gave me a hug ... and thanked me for being there (and I was freaking on vacation) ... we could throw a heck of a party. With that said ... back to the news people. It is eventually going to take someone making a very tough decision (from a national news channel) to not glorify a mass shooting/incident like this. That may be impossible ... but every time CNN, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC does their crappy full court press ... it just gives the psychos exactly what they want: a platform for attention for their jacked up cause. So ... that is what I walked away with ... the news channels breed this crap because their give the shooters/psychos/deranged so much freaking attention for their act. I have no clue how to change that ... but they breed a TON of this type of stuff with their horrible coverage. Great post. To add to this, I love vacationing in the state of South Carolina. They embody the words Southern Hospitality.
June 23, 201511 yr Why does KY have a monument in honor of Jefferson Davis? DYCHE | Kentucky: Ditch Jefferson Davis Statue - WDRB 41 Louisville News
June 24, 201511 yr Dylann Roof may have been radicalized by the website of a group associated with southern GOP politicians
June 25, 201511 yr Been reading about it. Mother Emanuel AME Church has a fascinating history. It's the oldest AME congregation' date=' not just in South Carolina, but in the entire South. It was a gathering place and house of worship for much of Charleston's surprisingly large free black community in its first 50 years. It's not a coincidence that the attacker chose it. Furthermore, my understanding is that even the date of the attack was the anniversary of Denmark Vesey's failed slave uprising of 1822, much of which was planned from Mother Emanuel Church. Then in 1834, the state of South Carolina outlawed black churches completely and for over 30 years until the end of the Civil War, the congregation met in secret. Just a remarkable history to that congregation.[/quote'] That's incredible, thanks for sharing that info.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.