Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Using the N-Word A Fireable Offense For Police Officers/Chiefs?

Featured Replies

On the subject. If the officer used this on government issued phones , email, or computers the he or she should probably be fired just for being dumb enough to send it on monitored devices.

 

If we are following them around in their private lives or checking private devices then that is a slippery slope I don't like.

  • Replies 111
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's take the n word out. If a cop states on his Facebook he hates Mexicans should he be punished, fired, or nothing?

 

Would anyone not get fired from their job for saying that outside of college professors. The only job in America that protects hate speech.

  • Author
Your point is clear, I disagree with the premise. The use of the word is not mutually exclusive IMHO.

 

To answer your question, punishment would include diversity training and would follow the disciplinary code of the department.

 

.

 

So how is the black guy supposed to trust the police after this "training?"

 

That's the issue. You already have a problem with trust. You just made it worse by keeping a guy who says he hates n-----. How could you ever look at the black members of your community and say "trust us - we'll treat you fairly?"

I know the word is something you should never use, but fire someone because they say it IMO, no. Since when to we become the "thought police" and determine because someone uses the word they are racist?

 

You could call me every name in the book, call my wife, daughters, mother every derogatory name you can think of, when it's all said and done.....I DON'T CARE, it's only a word, but that's just me......carry on boys and girls.

So how is the black guy supposed to trust the police after this "training?"

 

That's the issue. You already have a problem with trust. You just made it worse by keeping a guy who says he hates n-----. How could you ever look at the black members of your community and say "trust us - we'll treat you fairly?"

 

Falling on deaf ears, Clizzy.

 

The struggle is real.

So how is the black guy supposed to trust the police after this "training?"

 

That's the issue. You already have a problem with trust. You just made it worse by keeping a guy who says he hates n-----. How could you ever look at the black members of your community and say "trust us - we'll treat you fairly?"

 

That would be up to each individual as to whether they could trust someone again.

 

You still didn't answer about firefighters and EMS personnel.

Falling on deaf ears, Clizzy.

 

The struggle is real.

 

You are so mistaken, PP92.

 

Just because I don't agree with firing someone over use of the word doesn't mean I don't understand. I have had to explain racism to my daughters. I have to deal with some of the same issues you do. Not for myself but for them. I tell them you have to just ignore stupid people. You can't fix stupid.

What if a white guy calls a white guy a N word. Should he be fired.

As long as it is in common speech in movies and used by comedians we pay to see...white people are going to slip up and use it

 

They are? Because comedians and singers use it, "white people are going to slip up and use it?"

What if a white guy calls a white guy a N word. Should he be fired.

 

 

Only if the N-word is followed by the C-word or the H-word.

  • Author
That would be up to each individual as to whether they could trust someone again.

 

You still didn't answer about firefighters and EMS personnel.

 

Of course your first statement is true but it really doesn't have any play here.

 

My argument is that the police have a unique relationship with their "customers." They can't be like a restaurant that says we cater to the rich or a musician who says "we cater to the black market."

 

So I am still wondering how you tell the entire black community that your guy who said he hates n---- is now rehabilitated after his "training." You're never getting the buy-in from 100%. That's not the goal. However, your suggestion and others' suggestion of "training" doesn't seem to be sufficient.

 

How can you as the leader of the town or community say to the black community "you'll get a fair shake despite what my guy's beliefs are?"

 

Or are you saying that it's not important to have the black community as a whole have the belief that they police force is there to protect them like the rest of the community?

 

I started the thread specifically about police because of their IMO unique relationship. We can talk about EMS and Fire later.

  • Author
What if a white guy calls a white guy a N word. Should he be fired.

 

Your question falls into the same category as the "well blacks say it to other blacks so...."

 

It's a perfect example of it not being as simple as a "word" but, rather, the message behind it. It's clear what the message is of the officers I cited initially. It wasn't a slang term of endearment.

  • Author
I know the word is something you should never use, but fire someone because they say it IMO, no. Since when to we become the "thought police" and determine because someone uses the word they are racist?

 

You could call me every name in the book, call my wife, daughters, mother every derogatory name you can think of, when it's all said and done.....I DON'T CARE, it's only a word, but that's just me......carry on boys and girls.

 

Easy for you and I to say "it's only a word" when it has no history behind it to us and it's coming from someone other than law enforcement. That's not the debate here.

You are so mistaken, PP92.

 

Just because I don't agree with firing someone over use of the word doesn't mean I don't understand. I have had to explain racism to my daughters. I have to deal with some of the same issues you do. Not for myself but for them. I tell them you have to just ignore stupid people. You can't fix stupid.

 

How can anyone ignore a racist cop? How am I supposed to expect fair and equal treatment from a racist cop? How am I supposed to trust the police department that allows the racist cop to protect and serve?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.