Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Using the N-Word A Fireable Offense For Police Officers/Chiefs?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 111
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problem. I wouldn't expect white people to agree with the use of a word they don't feel like they are allowed to use.

 

I don't agree with the use of cracker or any other derogatory term for whites either.

 

Again, you can't say it's OK for blacks to use the word but no one else can. As long as you do that,

 

The saga continues.......

I don't agree with the use of cracker either.

 

Again, you can't say it's OK for blacks to use the word but no one else can. As long as you do that,

 

The saga continues.......

 

Funny, I've stated IN THIS THREAD that whites can use it and that in a term of endearment or singing a song context it isn't an issue. Any reasonable human being can tell the context of the use of the word.

 

Of course the saga continues.......

Funny, I've stated IN THIS THREAD that whites can use it and that in a term of endearment or singing a song context it isn't an issue. Any reasonable human being can tell the context of the use of the word.

 

Of course the saga continues.......

 

I think what cap'n is trying to say, is that as long as the word continually gets thrown around by whoever on a whim, that the word will continue "thrive". Racism will continue to exist, with or without the word.

I think what cap'n is trying to say, is that as long as the word continually gets thrown around by whoever on a whim, that the word will continue "thrive". Racism will continue to exist, with or without the word.

 

I understand that totally. The word is never going away. Ever. It's time for our society to get smart and learn to recognize context and apply it accordingly.

Funny, I've stated IN THIS THREAD that whites can use it and that in a term of endearment or singing a song context it isn't an issue. Any reasonable human being can tell the context of the use of the word.

 

Of course the saga continues.......

 

I think I am a reasonable person and I feel it's either fine to use a certain word or it's not. Too many double standards.

 

I have taught my white and black children to never use a word, including the n word, that is demeaning to a race in any context.

I understand that totally. The word is never going away. Ever. It's time for our society to get smart and learn to recognize context and apply it accordingly.
Agree with the first part, and that's asking a lot of some really stupid people. So, there we are. And it will never change, but we will still clamor for it.
I think I am a reasonable person and I feel it's either fine to use a certain word or it's not. Too many double standards.

 

I have taught my white and black children to never use a word, including the n word, that is demeaning to a race in any context.

 

I have taught mine that as well. I think it has fallen on deaf ears with my older kids. My youngest says he doesn't cuss at all. :lol2:

Agree with the first part, and that's asking a lot of some really stupid people. So, there we are. And it will never change, but we will still clamor for it.

 

Truth.

  • Author

Let me be clear in what I "get" and do not get. I get that the big issue of the use of the word is legit...regardless of who uses it. No need to keep telling that.

 

No need to tell me about black singers, actors, and comedians who use the word. I am aware of it.

 

I get that in utopia no person would EVER use the word.

 

Black officers using the word is not an issue in the big picture. Unless there are news reports I've missed of white neighborhoods being patrolled by 90% black officers that are , in their opinion, treating them unfairly because of their skin color then there is no story there nor any reason to mention that it happens.

 

So....

 

There are very few professions where the use of the word or the telling of jokes is a fireable offense. Police IS one IMO. Not true for politicians, musicians, restaurant owners, car dealers, etc. IS true for police.

 

So let's debate THAT contention . If you think that Kanye using the word is the same as a white officer in Baltimore (or Atlanta or....) using the word then I'd say you are not in tune with the black community (nor history).

Let me be clear in what I "get" and do not get. I get that the big issue of the use of the word is legit...regardless of who uses it. No need to keep telling that.

 

No need to tell me about black singers, actors, and comedians who use the word. I am aware of it.

 

I get that in utopia no person would EVER use the word.

 

Black officers using the word is not an issue in the big picture. Unless there are news reports I've missed of white neighborhoods being patrolled by 90% black officers that are , in their opinion, treating them unfairly because of their skin color then there is no story there nor any reason to mention that it happens.

 

So....

 

There are very few professions where the use of the word or the telling of jokes is a fireable offense. Police IS one IMO. Not true for politicians, musicians, restaurant owners, car dealers, etc. IS true for police.

 

So let's debate THAT contention . If you think that Kanye using the word is the same as a white officer in Baltimore (or Atlanta or....) using the word then I'd say you are not in tune with the black community (nor history).

 

I disagree that a police officer should be fired. Should a firefighter? How about an EMS member?

 

Again, while I loathe the word, where do you draw the line on what is a word worthy of firing? I would submit that there would be females that would say a certain word beginning with the letter C is just as offensive to them.

  • Author
I disagree that a police officer should be fired. Should a firefighter? How about an EMS member?

 

Again, while I loathe the word, where do you draw the line on what is a word worthy of firing? I would submit that there would be females that would say a certain word beginning with the letter C is just as offensive to them.

 

I have failed to make my point clear based on your and others responses.

 

Your last sentence tells me that.

 

Let's , just for this part of the debate, stick to the police officer discussion(we can then progress).

 

Are you saying officers are free to say it with impunity? Or are you saying they should be punished but not fired?

 

If it's the latter why would you punish them at all if you're not going to fire them?

I have failed to make my point clear based on your and others responses.

 

Your last sentence tells me that.

 

Let's , just for this part of the debate, stick to the police officer discussion(we can then progress).

 

Are you saying officers are free to say it with impunity? Or are you saying they should be punished but not fired?

 

If it's the latter why would you punish them at all if you're not going to fire them?

 

Your point is clear, I disagree with the premise. The use of the word is not mutually exclusive IMHO.

 

To answer your question, punishment would include diversity training and would follow the disciplinary code of the department.

 

Again, what about firefighters and EMS personnel? All are public servants in emergency response.

Let's take the n word out. If a cop states on his Facebook he hates Mexicans should he be punished, fired, or nothing?

If we are going by Crayola colors, I'd like to be known as Apricot.

 

I'd be Casper

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.