Should police departments require a 4 year college degree for employment?

theguru

It wasn't too long ago that we had a thread about NYC requiring their officers' IQ's to be under a certain level' date=' right?[/quote']

I don't think that is true.

I believe one police department 20 years ago won a lawsuit that said they didn't have to hire someone because their IQ was above a certain mark.

The title of the article that went around was very misleading, if I remember correctly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is true.

I believe one police department 20 years ago won a lawsuit that said they didn't have to hire someone because their IQ was above a certain mark.

The title of the article that went around was very misleading, if I remember correctly.

It was somewhere up in the northeast if I remember. The article had some good points but the world is changing rapidly.

Not sure of exact numbers but I remember seeing where Newport officers were very low paid and Fort Thomas officers were the highest paid in Campbell County. Always thought it should have been reversed do to levels of crime in the 2 areas. I'm wondering if education level is reflected in the highering procedures of the 2 departments.

It was somewhere up in the northeast if I remember. The article had some good points but the world is changing rapidly.

Posted it below. Doesn't say anything about the department having a requirement against it. And it's not like it's a policy across the board for police.

Good thread. Police officers are underpaid especially considering the risks they take every day. Given the difficult job they have, a higher education level and training would be the obvious preference. If such a requirement was made, would people still be attracted to the job?

If not a 4 year college degree maybe a Technical Degree where the entire focus of study was on the profession. Hours spent in Microeconomics or college level algebra might not be the best time spent educating law enforcement officers. I'd prefer courses in case law and legal precedent over random mandatory college classes.

If it came to that, yes.

But I don't think it would have to come to that.

So how are you going to pay them?

National Average may be $54000 or whatever but a lot of entry level positions pay half that not including benefits. That's why almost every police officer you know has an extra job or part time job on the side.

So how are you going to pay them?

National Average may be $54000 or whatever but a lot of entry level positions pay half that not including benefits. That's why almost every police officer you know has an extra job or part time job on the side.

To be fair so do most college graduates in a entry level position that want a better life. I bartended and worked my day job until I got promoted to a level that allowed me to work one job. That is why I never feel sorry for people who ever talk about a livable wage working one job. Most entry level positions aren't . So you work more than one job and get ahead.

To be fair so do most college graduates in a entry level position that want a better life. I bartended and worked my day job until I got promoted to a level that allowed me to work one job. That is why I never feel sorry for people who ever talk about a livable wage working one job. Most entry level positions aren't . So you work more than one job and get ahead.

True, I was just pointing out that the National Average includes a lot of metro officers across the country make large cash compared to officers in most communities in Kentucky and other states...and if they are to get these raises for college wondering where is the money going to come from.